• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Hall of Fame

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I had done a greats thread earlier but it didn't work out due to time pressures. Biased Indians thread on hall of fame gave me the idea of us creating a cricket Hall of Fame.

Rules -

- A player has to be fourthed to come into voting.
- Votings will be conducted once a week approximately.
- A player has to have 75% votes to enter the CW Hall of Fame.
- A player can re-enter for being nominated after around a month of his first voting spree for the hall of fame.
- No nominations will take place during the voting period of 48 hours.

I would need help with this thread and so volunteers to help will be more than welcome. Please join in to help with this effort. Let your nominations roll now! :)

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thanks! We will collaborate in the counting of votes etc and do it whenever whoever has the time so that things work with the thread.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks! We will collaborate in the counting of votes etc and do it whenever whoever has the time so that things work with the thread.
Nay problem. I am usually in charge of my counting faculties, so should be do-able. We're probably in quite different timezones, so that probably helps a lot.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nominations:
Vic Trumper
Clem Hill
Spofforth
Charlie Turner
Warwick Armstrong
C. McCartenay
Bill Woodfull
Don Bradman
Clarrie Grimmett
Bill O'Reilly
Arthur Morris
Keith Miller
Ray Lindwall
Neil Harvey
Alan Davidson
Bob Simpson
Richie Benaud
Ian Chappell
Greg Chappell
Dennis Lillee
Rod Marsh
Allan Border
Steve Waugh
Ian Healy
Glenn McGrath
Shane Warne
Ricky Ponting
Adam Gilchrist
Matthew Hayden

Oh, and I suppose I should nominate one non-parochially:
Garry Sobers

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To make this a little easier and not to go over obvious ground, maybe the results of the previous effort at this can be included to start.

Hall of Fame
Don Bradman (1st Ballot)
Garry Sober (1st Ballot)
W.G. Grace (2nd Ballott)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
To make this a little easier and not to go over obvious ground, maybe the results of the previous effort at this can be included to start.

Hall of Fame
Don Bradman (1st Ballot)
Garry Sober (1st Ballot)
W.G. Grace (2nd Ballott)
As these three would make the list any way, I thought of inducting Don Bradman, Gary Sobers and WG Grace as the first members of the prestigious CW Hall of Fame. However, I am not sure WG will get 75% of the votes because of the younger members. So to avoid controversy, I will not include any one and let this project work it out who should be included and who shouldn't.

Last edited:

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Nominate:

Wally Hammond
Fred Trueman
Len Hutton
Ken Barrington
Herbert Sutcliffe
Jack Hobbs
Syd Barnes
Denis Compton
Joel Garner
Curtly Ambrose
Michael Holding
Courtney Walsh
Everton Weekes
Clyde Walcott
Viv Richards
Rohan Kanhai
Lance Gibbs
George Headly

archie mac

International Coach
As these three would make the list any way, I thought of inducting Don Bradman, Gary Sobers and WG Grace as the first members of the prestigious CW Hall of Fame. However, I am not sure WG will get 75% of the votes because of the younger members. So to avoid controversy, I will not include any one and let this project work it out who should be included and who shouldn't.
Stuff the younger members, those three should be included:cool:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't get the 75 per cent thing.
Do we just vote yay or neigh for the players who have been 4th during nomination?
Also can we include umpires/officials/coaches etc or just players?

adharcric

International Coach
Based on what standards do we support or reject a player's HOF bid? Will we only induct a limited number of cricketers per round?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Should appoint a "pro" and "anti" speaker for each candidate - based on volunteers, to put the case for them meriting or not meriting inclusion in the Hall, based on some set criteria.

Inclusion should be by achieving a combination of achievement against some basic criteria:
- Excellence
- Impact on the game (ie. left the game a significantly different beast to how he found it)
- Longevity
- Popularity (this is important, cricket would be a very marginal sport indeed if only boring robots played it - its the players who have drawn the crowds through the gates, and to their televisions that have left us with what we have today).

Inclusion shouldn't be based on meeting any one criteria, rather achievement across at least a couple of them should be required. Similarly, failing the test on any one criteria (apart from maybe achieving excellence to at least some degree) shouldn't bar a player from admission. A long Test career shouldn't be essential, but demonstrating the case for "Excellence", "Popularity" and "Impact on the Game" would be considerably harder for a player who played only a handful, or no Tests.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Should appoint a "pro" and "anti" speaker for each candidate - based on volunteers, to put the case for them meriting or not meriting inclusion in the Hall, based on some set criteria.

Inclusion should be by achieving a combination of achievement against some basic criteria:
- Excellence
- Impact on the game (ie. left the game a significantly different beast to how he found it)
- Longevity
- Popularity (this is important, cricket would be a very marginal sport indeed if only boring robots played it - its the players who have drawn the crowds through the gates, and to their televisions that have left us with what we have today).

Inclusion shouldn't be based on meeting any one criteria, rather achievement across at least a couple of them should be required. Similarly, failing the test on any one criteria (apart from maybe achieving excellence to at least some degree) shouldn't bar a player from admission. A long Test career shouldn't be essential, but demonstrating the case for "Excellence", "Popularity" and "Impact on the Game" would be considerably harder for a player who played only a handful, or no Tests.
Members will vote for or against if they feel a criteria is met. Then the votes will be tallied to see if the candidate as accomplished entering into the CW Hall of Fame. Speakers are free to come and post for specific candidates when they come around to make a case for or against them to enhance the knowledge of other voters.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Based on what standards do we support or reject a player's HOF bid? Will we only induct a limited number of cricketers per round?
Based on whether you feel the player is deserving enough to be in the HOF. We can include any number 0 or 100 candidates per round.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't get the 75 per cent thing
Do we just vote yay or neigh for the players who have been 4th during nomination?
Yes.

Also can we include umpires/officials/coaches etc or just players?
Any person related to cricket can enter the Hall of Fame theoretically. It will be tougher for non cricketers to enter if some voters feel that they shouldn't enter such a hall of fame.