• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Team Draft - ODI edition

ozone

First Class Debutant
Due to the distinct lack of keepers left, I'm going to get one now and have gone for Brendon McCullum. A decent keeper, and if used down the order will be a more than useful finisher of a OD innings.

Like Lara, I couldn't believe this person slipped so far through the draft, despite a medicre ODI record. My second pick is Malcolm Marshall.

Team So Far:
Gordon Greenidge
Sachin Tendulkar
Brendon McCullum
Malcolm Marshall
Saqlain Mushtaq

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Due to the distinct lack of keepers left, I'm going to get one now and have gone for Brendon McCullum. A decent keeper, and if used down the order will be a more than useful finisher of a OD innings.

Like Lara, I couldn't believe this person slipped so far through the draft, despite a medicre ODI record. My second pick is Malcolm Marshall.

Team So Far:
Gordon Greenidge
Sachin Tendulkar
Brendon McCullum
Malcolm Marshall
Saqlain Mushtaq
Marshall was my next pick! I so should have went him first and Saeed second ah well.

I'll make my next pick within the next 20 minutes or so..

pskov

International 12th Man
Code:
1.01 ozone - Sachin Tendulkar
1.02 NUFAN - Viv Richards
1.03 weldone - Muttiah Muralitharan
1.04 pskov - Joel Garner
1.05 Simon - Wasim Akram
1.06 G.I.Joe - MS Dhoni
1.07 Matt79 - Adam Gilchrist
1.08 Goughy - Richard Hadlee
1.09 GeraintIsMyHero - Michael Bevan
1.10 Jamee999 - Glenn McGrath
1.11 Dazza_20 - Sanath Jayasuriya
1.12 HeathDavisSpeed - Allan Donald
1.13 Nnanden - Nathan Bracken
1.14 pup11 - Brett Lee

2.01 pup11- Aravinda De Silva
2.02 Nnanden - Andrew Flintoff
2.03 HeathDavisSpeed - Waqar Younis
2.04 Dazza_20 - Ricky Ponting
2.05 Jamee999 - Michael Holding
2.06 GeraintIsMyHero - Shaun Pollock
2.07 Goughy - Lance Klusener
2.08 Matt79 - Shane Bond
2.09 G.I.Joe - Kevin Pietersen
2.10 Simon - Imran Khan
2.11 pskov - Zaheer Abbas
2.12 weldone - Curtly Ambrose
2.13 NUFAN - Dennis Lillee
2.14 ozone - Saqlain Mushtaq

3.01 ozone - Gordon Greendige
3.02 NUFAN - Andrew Symonds
3.03 weldone - Javed Miandad
3.04 pskov - Kumar Sangakkara
3.05 Simon - Shane Warne
3.06 G.I.Joe - Greg Chappell
3.07 Matt79 - Kapil Dev
3.08 Goughy - Michael Hussey
3.09 GeraintIsMyHero - Alec Stewart
3.10 Jamee999 - Dean Jones
3.11 Dazza_20 - Chaminda Vaas
3.12 HeathDavisSpeed - Saurav Ganguly
3.13 Nnanden - Jacques Kallis
3.14 pup11 - Mark Boucher

4.01 pup11 - Michael Clarke 
4.02 Nnanden - Matthew Hayden
4.03 HeathDavisSpeed - Ian Botham
4.04 Dazza_20 - Andy Flower
4.05 Jamee999 - Shoaib Akhtar
4.06 GeraintIsMyHero - Marcus Trescothick
4.07 Goughy - Rahul Dravid
4.08 Matt79 - Steve Waugh
4.09 G.I.Joe - Andy Roberts
4.10 Simon - Mark Waugh
4.11 pskov - Brian Lara
4.12 weldone - Desmond Haynes
4.13 NUFAN - Saeed Anwar
4.14 ozone - Brendon McCullum

5.01 ozone - Malcolm Marshall
5.02 NUFAN - 
5.03 weldone - 
5.04 pskov - 
5.05 Simon - 
5.06 G.I.Joe - 
5.07 Matt79 - 
5.08 Goughy - 
5.09 GeraintIsMyHero - 
5.10 Jamee999 - 
5.11 Dazza_20 - 
5.12 HeathDavisSpeed - 
5.13 Nnanden - 
5.14 pup11 -

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Chris Gayle

Is there a rule where I can't change my player? Since no one has commented since my post, I think it's fair that I can.

Going for Gayle now. I thought I wanted an extra bowler, but I want to go all out attack while batting.

Tremendous batsman, who is getting better all the time, smart bowler too. He'll fit in perfect with my side.

MY XI so far:
Saeed Anwar, Chris Gayle, Viv Richards, Andrew Symonds, Dennie Lillee,

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Chris Cairns

An average of almost 30 and strike rate of almost 85 in batting and more than 200 wickets with the ball, Chris Cairns stands out as one of the very best all-rounders of the 90s, in both forms of the game. I wanted a pace bowling all-rounder for the balance of my side, and although Cairns' talent was far superior than what his record suggests, his performance only is good enough to make him the best choice available to me now. At one point of time, Chris Cairns was genuine enough an all-rounder to merit his place in the NZ side either as a batsman or a bowler, in both forms of the game. He'll be a crucial member in my side. The solid grounding provided by Haynes and Miandad will give him the perfect platform to launch his awesome hard hitting batting skills in the end overs. His prowess with the bowling will provide me enough options for the remaining spots. And when every other option will fail, he'll turn up with the all-round performance as demonstrated in 2000 ICC tournament in Nairobi to emerge as a true match-winner, hopefully.

Team till now:

Desmond Haynes
Javed Miandad
Chris Cairns
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Gayle has already been selected NUFAN ...Select a new player...
I like Pskov's spiel about Gayle though.

I do apologize for changing to Gayle, you probably saw my previous player and spent the day thinking up a new player and realized Gayle was your/the best next option.

As no one had picked or ever made a post after me, I figure I could change.

pskov

International 12th Man
Greame Smith

Just as good an ODI batsman as Gayle, though obviously not as good a bowler.

My team

Smith
Lara
Abbas
Sangakkara
Garner

Lara's record as an opener in ODIs is actually a fair bit better than when batting at 4 or 5 (Abbas will probably bat at 3). I haven't decided whether to open with Lara yet, but it does give some added flexibility.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Cairns

An average of almost 30 and strike rate of almost 85 in batting and more than 200 wickets with the ball, Chris Cairns stands out as one of the very best all-rounders of the 90s, in both forms of the game. I wanted a pace bowling all-rounder for the balance of my side, and although Cairns' talent was far superior than what his record suggests, his performance only is good enough to make him the best choice available to me now. At one point of time, Chris Cairns was genuine enough an all-rounder to merit his place in the NZ side either as a batsman or a bowler, in both forms of the game. He'll be a crucial member in my side. The solid grounding provided by Haynes and Miandad will give him the perfect platform to launch his awesome hard hitting batting skills in the end overs. His prowess with the bowling will provide me enough options for the remaining spots. And when every other option will fail, he'll turn up with the all-round performance as demonstrated in 2000 ICC tournament in Nairobi to emerge as a true match-winner, hopefully.

Team till now:

Desmond Haynes
Javed Miandad
Chris Cairns
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan
Dammit, now I have to change my whole strategy.

Simon

I like Pskov's spiel about Gayle though.

I do apologize for changing to Gayle, you probably saw my previous player and spent the day thinking up a new player and realized Gayle was your/the best next option.

As no one had picked or ever made a post after me, I figure I could change.
Who was your pick before Gayle? I did see it and deleted him from my list, will obviously need to go back on it.

pskov

International 12th Man
I don't know about others who are in both, but I have changed my strategy quite a bit from the test match draft. I subscribe strongly to the theory that bowlers win tests but batsmen win ODIs, hence I have picked 3 batsman a keeper-batsman and just one bowler in the first five rounds here, whereas in the test draft I picked 3 bowlers and two batsmen in my first five picks.

Simon

Anyway for my pick I'm going Darren Gough.

With 235 wickets @ 26.42 in 159 ODI's Gough is the perfect third seamer to bowl with Imran and Wasim. With three genuine seamers and a great front line spinner it will give my team for flexibility down the track.

Current Team
1 Mark Waugh
8 Imran Khan
9 Wasim Akram
10 Shane Warne
11 Darren Gough

Simon

I don't know about others who are in both, but I have changed my strategy quite a bit from the test match draft. I subscribe strongly to the theory that bowlers win tests but batsmen win ODIs, hence I have picked 3 batsman a keeper-batsman and just one bowler in the first five rounds here, whereas in the test draft I picked 3 bowlers and two batsmen in my first five picks.
There are a hell of a lot of similar batsman and very few standout bowlers, I figured my team will be stronger to get bowlers first.

One strategy I think is different from the test one is that in ODI's, the players dont really need to have a great record. Someone like Chris Cairns doesnt have great stats but he is a match winner on his day.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I've gone the batsman tactic in this too. 4 absolutely quality batsman in the first 5 picks means my side is always going to be in with a shout.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
My next pick is the batsman who opened for one of the all-time great ODI sides, and averaged 68 in all finals - Gary Kirsten

Team so far:

Gary Kirsten (LHB, 185 ODIs, 6798 runs @ 40.95, 10% no, sr 72.04)
Kevin Pietersen (RHB, 87 ODIs, 3047 runs @ 48.36, 19% no, sr 87.58)
Greg Chappell (RHB, 74 ODIs, 2331 runs @ 40.18, 20% no, sr 75.70, RM, 72 wickets @ 29.12, er 4.04, sr 43.1, 7 opm)
Mahendra Singh Dhoni + (RHB, 125 ODIs, 3935 runs @ 46.84, 25% no, sr 90.89, 125 catches and 40 stumpings)
Andy Roberts (RHB, 56 ODIs, 231 runs @ 10.04, 16% no, sr 64.70, RF, 87 wickets @ 20.35, er 3.40, sr 35.8, 9.2 opm)