• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka In Pakistan

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Official Sri Lanka In Pakistan 2009

Series is all set to go in a few weeks time

heres the schedule

1st ODI
20th January-Karachi
2nd ODI
21st January- Karachi
3rd ODI
24th January-Lahore

1st Test
21st-25th February- Karachi
2nd Test
1st-5th March- Lahore

Last edited by a moderator:

Bouncer

State Regular
Cricketing wise a series with SL is much better option for young pakistani team than a series with India. It will test the team better than Indian series as while playing against India, pakistani cricketer's passion for beating india kindaa takes the driving seat overcomes the skill part of the player's ability whereas VS SL young pakistani players will have to use their skills more than let their passion drive their cricket and to me its a perfect challenge and opportunity to improve the team

I hope they do try out Mohammad Talha. he has appeared to be very nice prospect, has had a good season which started in ZIM where he was 2nd highest wicket taker and his Yorker was spotted as nice weapon. I hope either him or sohail khan do get the whole series
Here is a clip of him bowling in HK sixes
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MqmIQJPiog8

Xuhaib

International Coach
India is not happy with Sri Lanka's cricket tour to Pakistan, media reports said on Sunday.

28 Dec 2008, 1901 hrs IST, IANS

COLOMBO: The tour was hastily arranged by Pakistan after India refused to go ahead with the scheduled visit following last month's terror attacks in Mumbai. The then interim committee of the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) headed by Arjuna Ranatunga, which was later dismissed by the government, accepted the invitation to fill in for India.

But now after the government cleared the tour, Indian authorities have expressed their displeasure over the next month's series.

Independent Sunday Times quoting SLC sources said that the decision by the Ranatunga administration to undertake the tour "had irked the Indian authorities" and the matter had been discussed "at the highest levels in Colombo".

"These sources said that SLC also received clear signals that Indian authorities were unhappy with the move to tour Pakistan when they were having political problems with that country. They said they treated the Sri Lankan move as a snub on the Indians mainly as a fallout from the Indian Premier League (IPL) issue," the daily said.

The report said that the Sri Lankan sports authorities were forced to go to the foreign ministry to get clearance for the national team's tour to Pakistan next month "following a nose-dive in Indo-Pak relations in recent weeks".

With sports minister Gamini Lokuge briefing President Mahinda Rajapaksa "saying that the Pakistan tour had become a diplomatic issue". Rajapaksa then referred the matter to foreign minister Rohitha Bogollagama.

Bogollagama, however, has said that there was no "diplomatic pressure applied on Sri Lanka either by India or Pakistan" with regard to the cricket tour.

He has told the newspaper that he cleared the tour considering it as a "sporting issue", and that Sri Lanka promoted "people-to-people visits" among South Asian member states.

"If indeed there were security concerns, the matter has to be determined by the International Cricket Council (ICC)," the foreign minister was been quoted as saying.

Claiming that both India and Pakistan "are important factors in Sri Lanka's military and diplomatic efforts to defeat the LTTE", the Sunday Times said that Ranatunga has sought a meeting with Rajapaksa to present his case

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3905106.cms

jeevan

International 12th Man
India is not happy with Sri Lanka's cricket tour to Pakistan, media reports said on Sunday.

28 Dec 2008, 1901 hrs IST, IANS

COLOMBO: The tour was hastily arranged by Pakistan after India refused to go ahead with the scheduled visit following last month's terror attacks in Mumbai. The then interim committee of the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) headed by Arjuna Ranatunga, which was later dismissed by the government, accepted the invitation to fill in for India.

But now after the government cleared the tour, Indian authorities have expressed their displeasure over the next month's series.

Independent Sunday Times quoting SLC sources said that the decision by the Ranatunga administration to undertake the tour "had irked the Indian authorities" and the matter had been discussed "at the highest levels in Colombo".

"These sources said that SLC also received clear signals that Indian authorities were unhappy with the move to tour Pakistan when they were having political problems with that country. They said they treated the Sri Lankan move as a snub on the Indians mainly as a fallout from the Indian Premier League (IPL) issue," the daily said.

The report said that the Sri Lankan sports authorities were forced to go to the foreign ministry to get clearance for the national team's tour to Pakistan next month "following a nose-dive in Indo-Pak relations in recent weeks".

With sports minister Gamini Lokuge briefing President Mahinda Rajapaksa "saying that the Pakistan tour had become a diplomatic issue". Rajapaksa then referred the matter to foreign minister Rohitha Bogollagama.

Bogollagama, however, has said that there was no "diplomatic pressure applied on Sri Lanka either by India or Pakistan" with regard to the cricket tour.

He has told the newspaper that he cleared the tour considering it as a "sporting issue", and that Sri Lanka promoted "people-to-people visits" among South Asian member states.

"If indeed there were security concerns, the matter has to be determined by the International Cricket Council (ICC)," the foreign minister was been quoted as saying.

Claiming that both India and Pakistan "are important factors in Sri Lanka's military and diplomatic efforts to defeat the LTTE", the Sunday Times said that Ranatunga has sought a meeting with Rajapaksa to present his case

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3905106.cms
Belongs in OT. But since it is here, hope India now opens it's eyes and gets out of the "Asian bloc".

Even for the BCCI, it cannot be uplifting to associate with boards that have sub-par teams, frequent drug / corruption issues, or cricketing officials with criminal ties (perhaps SL doesnt fit this, but cant have a bloc of 2). All this to score a few brownie points over "non-Asian" boards like the ECB, which at a time of reckoning for India did very well by it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
IF this series goes ahead, It's going to be a fantastic series.

Anyone know what Pakistan's Test team is likely to be?

gunner

U19 Cricketer
not been released but this is the team i would play,

Butt
Jamshed
Younis
Misbah
Umar Amin(the guys young and the most impresive, might aswell blood him now)
Malik
Akmal
Tanvir
Gul
Akhar
Kaneria

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Belongs in OT. But since it is here, hope India now opens it's eyes and gets out of the "Asian bloc".

Even for the BCCI, it cannot be uplifting to associate with boards that have sub-par teams, frequent drug / corruption issues, or cricketing officials with criminal ties (perhaps SL doesnt fit this, but cant have a bloc of 2). All this to score a few brownie points over "non-Asian" boards like the ECB, which at a time of reckoning for India did very well by it.
But on that grounds, is BCCI itself not an organization with lot of corruption inside ?? Not too long ago we had an entire match fixing saga that involved some top cricketers, One of our selector was openely accused of asking for Bribe, Mr. Dalmiya, Bindra et all are no saints when it comes to corruption.

Secondly, I am not a big fan of 'Asian' or 'Non-Asian' bloc, but why should an 'SL tour to Pakistan' cause BCCI to 'try to get out of Asian Bloc' ? I dont want India do anything with Pakistan, If it were upto me I will vote for snapping all the ties with that country but I do not understand Why should it bother India or BCCI that another country has offered to tour Pakistan ?

jeevan

International 12th Man
But on that grounds, is BCCI itself not an organization with lot of corruption inside ?? Not too long ago we had an entire match fixing saga that involved some top cricketers, One of our selector was openely accused of asking for Bribe, Mr. Dalmiya, Bindra et all are no saints when it comes to corruption.

Secondly, I am not a big fan of 'Asian' or 'Non-Asian' bloc, but why should an 'SL tour to Pakistan' cause BCCI to 'try to get out of Asian Bloc' ? I dont want India do anything with Pakistan, If it were upto me I will vote for snapping all the ties with that country but I do not understand Why should it bother India or BCCI that another country has offered to tour Pakistan ?
BCCI has it's own problems but that is no reason it should caucus with Zimbabwe, Bangladesh or the Pakistani cricket boards, which have the problems I mentioned (which are over and above the problems that BCCI itself has).

Dont particularly care what causes BCCI to do so, if they happen to be upset with SL over this tour - for whatever reason - that's good enough. Dont exactly know what caused BCCI to "join" this bloc to begin with either.

Xuhaib

International Coach
not been released but this is the team i would play,

Butt
Jamshed
Younis
Misbah
Umar Amin(the guys young and the most impresive, might aswell blood him now)
Malik
Akmal
Tanvir
Gul
Akhar
Kaneria
He's not ready yet give him a seaon or two, I say get him in the Odi line up and then slowly transition him to the test team. Throwing him straight away in the deep end against M&M could dent his confidence if he has few failures.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, don't really understand why they give a toss tbh. Control freaks i guess.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Lanka to win easily imo.

we might pull out a test though ODI's will be closer.
Disagrees with that. SL might win, but Its not going to be that easily. Pakistan side is always dangerous when they are down and out and it is not very wise to count them out at any stage. Anyhow, wish the series do happen and end Pakistan's current isolation in Cricket.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
pakistans squad has been announced.

Finally we start bankin on pace and not average spin bowlers classed as right arm medium fast.

Pakistan squad : Shoaib Malik (capt), Misbah-ul-Haq, Salman Butt, Younis Khan, Shahid Afridi, Kamran Akmal (wk) , Sohail Tanvir, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Iftikhar Anjum, Saeed Ajmal, Khurram Manzoor, Sohail Khan, Yasir Arafat, Umar Amin

from these this would be my first team

Butt
Manzoor
Amin
Younis
Misbah
Malik
Afridi
Akmal
Tanvir
Akhtar
Gul

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If things keep going like they are, Mendis may have a ODI bowling average of around 10 right before this series even comes around.

Mendis vs. Afridi is mouth watering.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Finally we start bankin on pace and not average spin bowlers classed as right arm medium fast.

Pakistan squad : Shoaib Malik (capt), Misbah-ul-Haq, Salman Butt, Younis Khan, Shahid Afridi, Kamran Akmal (wk) , Sohail Tanvir, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Iftikhar Anjum, Saeed Ajmal, Khurram Manzoor, Sohail Khan, Yasir Arafat, Umar Amin

Butt
Manzoor
Amin
Younis
Misbah
Malik
Afridi
Akmal
Tanvir
Akhtar
Gul
I think if your keepers going to bat 8 you want one who's better at keeping than Akmal, even if he's not so good with the bat. Or is Afridi the best spinner in the squad? If he is then it's understandable.

Xuhaib

International Coach

Butt
Manzoor
Amin
Younis
Misbah
Malik
Afridi
Akmal
Tanvir
Akhtar
Gul
No Umer Amin please at this stage, he is not ready and exposing him to Murali and Mendis this early might dent his confidence and knowing Pak selectors they may never select him again.

Xuhaib

International Coach
If things keep going like they are, Mendis may have a ODI bowling average of around 10 right before this series even comes around.

Mendis vs. Afridi is mouth watering.
Jono,

is that a joke man?

it would be a grand contest of 3 balls if they come across each other every game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha yeah that's the point. It'd be comical. You know Afridi will show him no respect.

I'd enjoy watching it, whatever happened. Whether he managed to latch on and put Mendis over the boundary, and the next ball be trapped in front.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No Umer Amin please at this stage, he is not ready and exposing him to Murali and Mendis this early might dent his confidence and knowing Pak selectors they may never select him again.
So whats the position with batsman like Faisal Iqbal, Bazid Khan, Asim Kamal if the selectors have entrusted this youngster ahead of them now the MoYo is no more.

Xuhaib

International Coach
So whats the position with batsman like Faisal Iqbal, Bazid Khan, Asim Kamal if the selectors have entrusted this youngster ahead of them now the MoYo is no more.
Faisal Iqbal is useless, Bazid cant buy a run in domestic cricket these days while Asim Kamal time is gone and he is also not a heavy score domestically.

Peolple want this guy http://content-pak.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/42671.html

He has been toring up domestically for years looks to hae a good technique but somehow selectors just go on ignoring him.