• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

De Lisle slams ICC

Langeveldt

Soutie
This was quite an interesting read from Wisden editor Tim De Lisle about the ICC

"Their Champions Trophy did not produce a champion. Their Test Championship produced the wrong one. Their new One-Day Championship was so arcane it went virtually unnoticed. Their World Cup consisted of more than 50 matches but hardly any real contests. And they adopted a stance on Zimbabwe that shamed the game

sheesh :rolleyes:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't worry about it. In three years time, Cricket Web will have taken over from Cricinfo/Wisden as the game's self-proclaimed opinionated mouthpiece.

Hang on, that didn't sound right.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
on second thoughts...

I know it's fashionable to knock the ICC (I spend half my time panning them myself), but does anyone actually take any notice of Tim de Lisle?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Not really, but its quite disturbing to read about this, and he isnt exaggerating either....
No, but as an editor, his prime responsibility is to SELL COPY. There are a number of ways of doing that - the ones that spring to mind are

a) Being popular (like the duck)
b) Being controversial (like the duck)
c) Being abusive (like the duck)
d) Being sly and taking cheap shots (like the duck)

<quack> I'm detecting a pattern here....

But above all, you have to be readable. I admire a lot of what de Lisle says and does (he's a damned fine writer), but I think at the moment he's just going out of his way to be controversial.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I agree with LE - he's gone OTT here - some of the "points" are stretching it just a little.

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think alot of what is being said makes sense. The Champions trophy was a farce, and did produce no winner. The system of the ODI table, well if you were a casual observer in cricket would you understand it? I have to say that far too much has been made of the SA being at the top of the league. Look its a league table. Ok so SA got thrashed by Aus but its a league!!Celtic got 7 points from old firm games to rangers 4 and rangers won the league. Aus just have games in hand, SA just sorted there fixtures out better and played them as opposed to AUS who havent played all there fixtures, thats there fault no one elses.Once all games have been played that is when the title is decided not in what is effectively mid-season. Also have to say that if the ICC are running the test championship as a league, which given the ten year plan makes sense, why all of a sudden do series scores count. As far as im concerned a series victory is a win, the difference in games is irrelevant. Just as a 1 run win is the same as an innings victory, ie you still win, so a 5-0 win should be the same as 1-0, in the league table you get points for winning.If people are equal on points then lets see who had the best "test difference". Having said all this i'm still not sure the rankings system that there using is very good anyway, although i have to admit i have to yet see a better way of sorting out test cricket into a viable competition.we live in hope.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
See Neil Pickup's ratings - they are a much more accurate reflection of the respective cricket powers.

As far as a 1-0 series win being the same as a 5-0, I beg to differ. Teams don't just give up when they get into a losing position (or they shouldn't).

Would you have had the Australians just go home after leading the West Indies 3-0 in the tests and 4-0 in the ODI series? Should England have gone home after losing the first three tests in Australia?

The only time we everseem to beat them is in 'dead rubbers', but at least it cheers us up a bit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wow! Everyone agreed with me!
Second I read his Notes I thought "well, no surprise here! He might only be here for one year, but the Wisden Editors in that great Wisden kingdom in the sky will be beaming as they welcome him with open arms".
Does all the right things - berate as many administrators as fiercely as you can, go on about a load of other stuff...
I always liked him up to then, he wrote one really, really good article about the Vaughan\Hussain captaincy thing, using the metaphor of an office, but I kinda lost some of that respect after this tirade.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Look - it was a joke, OK, a one-hour joke, and I don't see that it did a massive amount of damage.