• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bill O'Reilly vs Clarrie Grimmett

Who was greater - O'Reilly or Grimmett

• Total voters

archie mac

International Coach
^

Words, by their very nature, are one man's interpretation of a situation. And that holds true regardless of whether it's a book written by Hanif Mohammad or a forum post by aussie.

They do have their place - like statistical analysis they provide a basic framework to build upon. Ultimately, though, they (with a few exceptions) are opinions coloured by personal prejudice and not technical dissertations focused on comparative analysis. Knowledge alone does not imply an ability to draw the right conclusions. Somebody like Ian Chappel, for instance, can undoubtedly offer keener insights into the game than I can, however, he still needs to provide evidence backing his analysis - blanket statements issued by him might hold a lot of sway owing to his pedigree but this does not equal objective superiority.
Come on, we are talking the vast majority of players, spectators, reporters and writers, when it comes to someone like SF Barnes

archie mac

International Coach
And the vast majority of them couldn't make it clear what he actually bowled.
Not to us, no, but that was the case with a different terminology of those days, with words such as swerve, and break, used in a different manner, we don't really know what Hugh Trumble, Spofforth or Turner bowled either.

But I think the best bowler of his generation, or the best bowler I faced, or the best bowler I ever watched, it pretty bloody clear

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It's probably an even stronger case for Barney in that no one actually even liked the miserable bastard. I reckon if they could have found fault they would have!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not to us, no, but that was the case with a different terminology of those days, with words such as swerve, and break, used in a different manner, we don't really know what Hugh Trumble, Spofforth or Turner bowled either.

But I think the best bowler of his generation, or the best bowler I faced, or the best bowler I ever watched, it pretty bloody clear
Well, that's the whole issue. Words and their differing meanings amongst people and generations.

Being the best bowler his contemporaries saw is one thing, how do we know he is the best in the greater form of the question with regards to those that came after him? How do we know the commentators of yesteryear would still regard him the best if they were privy to today's (after their time essentially) bowlers?

Hobbs was the greatest opener of his generation and Hayden the greatest of his. But how do you really compare the two?

archie mac

International Coach
Well, that's the whole issue. Words and their differing meanings amongst people and generations.

Being the best bowler his contemporaries saw is one thing, how do we know he is the best in the greater form of the question with regards to those that came after him? How do we know the commentators of yesteryear would still regard him the best if they were privy to today's (after their time essentially) bowlers?

Hobbs is greatest opener of his generation and Hayden the greatest of his. But how do you really compare the two?

You read about them, and watch videos if you can find it, but know one ever knows for sure, I would have thought that obvious:wacko:

Beleg

International Regular
Come on, we are talking the vast majority of players, spectators, reporters and writers, when it comes to someone like SF Barnes
You're going off on a tangent there. The arguement that SF Barnes was a great bowler of his generation is extremely hard to refute - the statistics and the contemporary accounts are fairly consistent in their praise.

However, the issue at hand is a comparative analysis of two bowlers with fairly minimal variance in their records with the effects that they are often seperated based on subjective contemporary judgement which, in my humble opinion, isn't a robust enough matric.

The two situations are not synonymous at all.

pasag

RTDAS

Hobbs was the greatest opener of his generation and Hayden the greatest of his. But how do you really compare the two?
All part of the fun really.

archie mac

International Coach
You're going off on a tangent there. The arguement that SF Barnes was a great bowler of his generation is extremely hard to refute - the statistics and the contemporary accounts are fairly consistent in their praise.

However, the issue at hand is a comparative analysis of two bowlers with fairly minimal variance in their records with the effects that they are often seperated based on subjective contemporary judgement which, in my humble opinion, isn't a robust enough matric.

The two situations are not synonymous at all.
If the vast majority of contemporaries think that Tiger was better (including Bradman), then why would you looking at some stats 75 years later, doubt their opinion?

Am I the only one who think this is obvious?????????????????

pasag

RTDAS
I think people tend to take these sorts of things too seriously. Yes comparing throughout the ages is flawed, so what? No one is calling it an exact science. It's fun hypothesising, comparing and being subjective. There's no need to stay away from it just because you haven't seen copious amounts of footage.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, the stats at least suggest they were equal, or else that O'Reilly was superior. Really don't get what Beleg is trying to argue here. If we had the option of watching the two of them bowl live, or watch a lot of film of the two of them, that's one thing, but we don't so you do what all historical researchers do and hit the accounts of the people that were there. It's not a difficult concept - it takes some care to reaching definitive, accurate, conclusions, but it can often be done.

Beleg

International Regular
If the vast majority of contemporaries think that Tiger was better (including Bradman), then why would you looking at some stats 75 years later, doubt their opinion?

It is a matter of how they back their opinions.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You read about them, and watch videos if you can find it, but know one ever knows for sure, I would have thought that obvious:wacko:
It should be also quite obvious that you're making your subjective analysis on somebody else's subjective analysis. In this case, I am not really bothered (O'Reilly v Grimmett) but when you compare them to other players from other eras, etc, that is when you really can't rely too much on what you read. You can get an idea but nothing conclusive.

All part of the fun really.
I guess. I am just saying, some people think not guessing when comparing pays a greater respect to the players.

Bradman thought Tiger was better than Barnes too.

Beleg

International Regular
Yeah, the stats at least suggest they were equal, or else that O'Reilly was superior. Really don't get what Beleg is trying to argue here. If we had the option of watching the two of them bowl live, or watch a lot of film of the two of them, that's one thing, but we don't so you do what all historical researchers do and hit the accounts of the people that were there. It's not a difficult concept - it takes some care to reaching definitive, accurate, conclusions, but it can often be done.
I don't believe you can reach 'definitive, accurate, conclusions' based on textual evidence for a vast majority of cases where the cricketers in question were fairly comparable in their quality.

YMMV.

archie mac

International Coach
It should be also quite obvious that you're making your subjective analysis on somebody else's subjective analysis. In this case, I am not really bothered (O'Reilly v Grimmett) but when you compare them to other players from other eras, etc, that is when you really can't rely too much on what you read. You can get an idea but nothing conclusive.

I guess. I am just saying, some people think not guessing when comparing pays a greater respect to the players.

Bradman thought Tiger was better than Barnes too.
I would have to look it up, but I think he said players he had watched or batted against, but as he had not watched Barnes he was unsure, but as Barnes did not have the wrong-un. he would put Tiger first

Still I would be happy with Bradman rating Tiger No.1, his choice:cool: