• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was right, and to get carried away winning a series you should have won doesn't seem to be unusual for some Indian fans. Once in 30-odd years beforehand remember!?

Realistically SA should have a decent chance this series too, but I'm more confident than I was against India...SA are good at talking themselves up and then finding a way to lose.
Historically yes, but more recently South Africa are expert at winning (9 series 8 wins one draw), often without playing especially well. I don't think the trend of SA talking themselves up then failing will come into it much. Australia will probably win, because they have a better team. Nothing else.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
Well to be frank. Ponting does sound defensive in saying all that he said about retaining top spot. i mean why does he need to say say it?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well to be frank. Ponting does sound defensive in saying all that he said about retaining top spot. i mean why does he need to say say it?
My guess would be because journos ask him the question, and he doesn't want to come across as either arrogant (by saying it will never happen because we'll smash them) or a rude prick by ignoring the question.

biased indian

International Coach
if Austrlia fail to win one series aganist SA i would definelty bring them down to the pack consisiting of the rest..curently they are still little above the rest though

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think if we lose to SA at home, we'd certainly not be the clear no.1 anymore, even if we were technically still 1, after losing to India. If we then lost to England, I'd say that we were not the number 1 anymore.

If on the other hand we win both series, as I expect we will, then we're obviously still #1, even if by not as much as at our peak.

pup11

International Coach
if Austrlia fail to win one series aganist SA i would definelty bring them down to the pack consisiting of the rest..curently they are still little bove of rest though
True, but i am not too happy with the kind of thing Punter has been saying off-late, yeah South Africa are worthy challangers but its not as if they are that good that they would walk over this current Aussie side especially when playing in Australia, Ponting comments might give the newer lads in the team a feeling that our captain already feels we would lose to South Africa therefore he is already cooking up excuses before the inevitable happens, these sort of comments surely won't fill Punter' relatively inexperienced side with any confidence while going into a such a tough series, i understand that they do have Steyn but then we too have Johnson....:ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
I think if we lose to SA at home, we'd certainly not be the clear no.1 anymore, even if we were technically still 1, after losing to India. If we then lost to England, I'd say that we were not the number 1 anymore.

If on the other hand we win both series, as I expect we will, then we're obviously still #1, even if by not as much as at our peak.
Don't worry mate, that is not not going to happen, because Warnie is just a call a away.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Toss an aspirin and use the Ignore button if you don't understand what am saying.

Haha, so dire even in baiting. FAIL. "Any stuff apparently said against Punter=yes,Non-Aussie=yes,reply=you_are_typical_fan_unworthy_of_any_counter_argument." 8-)
Take it that way if you like, but it's a poor argument.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Historically yes, but more recently South Africa are expert at winning (9 series 8 wins one draw), often without playing especially well. I don't think the trend of SA talking themselves up then failing will come into it much. Australia will probably win, because they have a better team. Nothing else.
Against Australia that is, they don't have a problem elsewhere generally. This will be the best chance they've had for a while though to knock us off.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Of course it does.
No it doesn't, it's a blanket generalisation that doesn't apply to anyone posting in this thread, and I don't see the motivation for even bringing up something like that except to stir ****.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Against Australia that is, they don't have a problem elsewhere generally. This will be the best chance they've had for a while though to knock us off.
They had the same problems winning in England though before this year, and they bucked that trend. The difference? SA>>>>>England currently. They certainly aren't better than Australia.