• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds this time crosses the line

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A bit similar to harbhajan calling him maa ki or monkey ,don't you think?
If Harbhajan actually did call Symonds maa ki, then yeah, there is similarity. Though that would have been a case of being misheard, if true.

If he called him monkey though, not similar at all. If he used the term monkey, he was in my view simply deliberately picking the term he thought would most get under Symonds' skin and using it. I see absolutely nothing to suggest that if Harbhajan used the word monkey he was referring to Lord Hanuman or whatever his name is.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If Harbhajan actually did call Symonds maa ki, then yeah, there is similarity. Though that would have been a case of being misheard, if true.

If he called him monkey though, not similar at all. If he used the term monkey, he was in my view simply deliberately picking the term he thought would most get under Symonds' skin and using it. I see absolutely nothing to suggest that if Harbhajan used the word monkey he was referring to Lord Hanuman or whatever his name is.

IF you do not care about Indian culture "Lord hanuman or whatever his name his",Then how can you expect Indians to care about whatever ethnicity symonds belongs too or whatever its history is?

I do not think it occured to harbhajan to as to what he was doing,and nor did he mean it in a racist way.It was just a quick retort if indeed it was "monkey" ,which he realised afterwards like symonds should with what he has published for worldwide reading unlike in a one to one conversation?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IF you do not care about Indian culture "Lord hanuman or whatever his name his",Then how can you expect Indians to care about whatever ethnicity symonds belongs too or whatever its history is?

I do not think it occured to harbhajan to as to what he was doing,and nor did he mean it in a racist way.It was just a quick retort if indeed it was "monkey" ,which he realised afterwards like symonds should with what he has published for worldwide reading unlike in a one to one conversation?
I've said this all along - I don't think Harbhajan meant "inferior black man" with the monkey term directed at Symonds. I do, however, imagine he knew that it would annoy Symonds and I do think it was as poor form on his part as whatever it was Symonds and co were doing to antagonise him ITFP.

krkode

State Captain
You make the same rhetorical argument everytime and expect me to ask a different question every time?:happy:
That's what makes this thread so beautiful. In 60+ posts we have all been saying the exact same thing, nobody has changed their argument and nobody has changed anybody's mind.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
That's what makes this thread so beautiful. In 60+ posts we have all been saying the exact same thing, nobody has changed their argument and nobody has changed anybody's mind.
Lilian Thomson did shed a bit of light with his post I thought

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Atleast it has not descended to name calling,and gone off the topic as most threads here do on controversial topics.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
In breaking news, Cevno doesn't quite understand what Symonds said. Maybe someone should break it down for him point by point.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Symonds said:

How can they possibly be using the Monkey God excuse when they were calling us assholes at the same time?

As a God is something to be respected and revered, which I Andrew Phillipa Symonds understand then clearly this was not their intentional meaning.

They were calling me Monkey in a derogatory sense and calling us assholes, and the God excuse was all a big cover-up, as they clearly were not speaking about the Monkey God. It was just a ****ty excuse because no one would call a God an asshole, therefore they were calling me an ape and an asshole with no God-like implications.

I'm Andrew Phillipa Symonds thank you and goodnight.

pup11

International Coach
Cenvo after reading all the posts on this thread i get a feel that you seriously seem to hate Symonds, and therefore any sensible explanation about this whole episode doesn't even matter to you, so what' the point of even arguing about something like this, let me assure you that there are no big Symonds fans on this forum who like him too much and if he had said anything derogatory he would have been blasted apart, so the very fact that you are the only guy here taking apart Symonds post after post should be a clear sign to you that you have misinterpreted the whole thing.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
I think hes a bit of a douche for not letting this thing die but i see he wants to make a buck or two so i dont hold it against him