• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mo Yo goes ICL

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah, I know it won't, because the PCB and BCCSL are both in dire straits currently, and keeping the BCCI on-side is about their only possible escape route.

If both were on a steadier footing, however, there might possibly be an "Asian bloc" split which, in truth, would be likely to benefit the game, both in the subcontinent and everywhere else.
The only boards that will benefit from an Asian bloc split will be the ECB, so that they can still dream about ruling the game like they did or so many years.

CA is more or less bankrupt and that is why they are so looking forward to Champions League, etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The only boards that will benefit from an Asian bloc split will be the ECB, so that they can still dream about ruling the game like they did or so many years.
Rubbish. Post-colonial bluster, the same bull**** Jagmohan Dalmiya, Lalit Modi and the likes have been coming-out with for the last decade.

The ECB never, ever ran the global game. Nor did its predecessor, the TCCB. The game was run by MCC, which ceased to run the game in the UK in 1968 - when the TCCB was formed.

Nor are the ECB the only ones who'd benefit from an Asian-bloc split. As I say, it may appear productive at the current time for the PCB and BCCSL to side with India over everything but at the end of the day they are merely prostituting themselves to India, which benefits no-one.

Cricket is best-served if all global parties have an equal share and power-base. The ECB never have and never will run the game; nor will the game ever again be run by those whose majority interests centre on the British Isles. Equally it's fanciful to suggest that there will ever be a time when all parties are truly equal - the likes of New Zealand and South Africa are severely limited by the weakness of their own currency and their lack of numbers viewing, neither of which they have any power to change.

However, the current skew which means India, basically, runs the show benefits no-one other than India at the end of the day. In the long-term, it's highly questionable that it'll even benefit India, as resentment runs deep and stays in the system for a long time. The fact that people still come out with the post-colonial bull**** they do shows how much long-term damage has been done by the perception (rightly or wrongly, presmably far more of the former) that for a century the game was run in the interests of England, even if the World govorning body wasn't actually the same as the govorning body over here.
CA is more or less bankrupt and that is why they are so looking forward to Champions League, etc.
Evidence?

Precambrian

Banned
Rubbish. Post-colonial bluster, the same bull**** Jagmohan Dalmiya, Lalit Modi and the likes have been coming-out with for the last decade.

The ECB never, ever ran the global game. Nor did its predecessor, the TCCB. The game was run by MCC, which ceased to run the game in the UK in 1968 - when the TCCB was formed.

Nor are the ECB the only ones who'd benefit from an Asian-bloc split. As I say, it may appear productive at the current time for the PCB and BCCSL to side with India over everything but at the end of the day they are merely prostituting themselves to India, which benefits no-one.

Cricket is best-served if all global parties have an equal share and power-base. The ECB never have and never will run the game; nor will the game ever again be run by those whose majority interests centre on the British Isles. Equally it's fanciful to suggest that there will ever be a time when all parties are truly equal - the likes of New Zealand and South Africa are severely limited by the weakness of their own currency and their lack of numbers viewing, neither of which they have any power to change.

However, the current skew which means India, basically, runs the show benefits no-one other than India at the end of the day. In the long-term, it's highly questionable that it'll even benefit India, as resentment runs deep and stays in the system for a long time. The fact that people still come out with the post-colonial bull**** they do shows how much long-term damage has been done by the perception (rightly or wrongly, presmably far more of the former) that for a century the game was run in the interests of England, even if the World govorning body wasn't actually the same as the govorning body over here.
Oh cut this crap about "equal powersharing" and stuff. That is valid had the countries were generating an equal amount of interest and wealth into the game. But it isnt so, and India is the powerhub now, so it is only logical that they run the show.

And besides, after India coming to taking the centrestage, good things like the IPL etc have come up which has in turn influenced other boards to adopt the same thing. And this goes way in popularising the game and attracting the younger audience, which test cricket can never do. So just don't carpet-blank BCCI by telling whatever they did was to the detriment of the game.

And as to whether PCB and SLC are prostituting, it is much better than ECB doing the same to Stanford. Atleast in the former case, cricket is not endangered.

And India is not the only country who is benefiting. Things like the IPL have gone a long way in rewarding overseas players for their skill. No wonder they don't want any future tours disrupting their schedules to play in the IPL.

And IPL never have went against any FTP.

Evidence?
Quoted from Mike Selvey's article in the Guardian :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/oct/22/australiacricketteam-indiacricketteam

The quality of the Australian player base seems to be eroding as fast as the Suffolk coastline while Cricket Australia is said to be so devoid of funds (not yet bankrupt but heading that way, I was told recently by someone who would know) that they need to cling on to the coat-tails on any Indian deals they can to stay afloat. They are in hock to Lalit Modi now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh cut this crap about "equal powersharing" and stuff. That is valid had the countries were generating an equal amount of interest and wealth into the game. But it isnt so, and India is the powerhub now, so it is only logical that they run the show.
Not really. The most honourable wealthy types have always been the types who look to use their wealth for the greater good, to share it and not to attempt to gain power via it.

This applies in cricket as much as anywhere else. Cricket's best interests are not served by any one country running the show. Of course it's completely impossible for things to be a true balance of all equals for the reasons I mentioned above, but something closer to what we currently have (and have pretty well always had) would be infinitely desireable.
And besides, after India coming to taking the centrestage, good things like the IPL etc have come up which has in turn influenced other boards to adopt the same thing. And this goes way in popularising the game and attracting the younger audience, which test cricket can never do. So just don't carpet-blank BCCI by telling whatever they did was to the detriment of the game.
I did that where? I am one of the least anti-BCCI people around, TBH, but there's no denying they're appalling in many ways. Likewise, the assumption that the UK essentially ruling the game, as they did for a century, was all bad is a complete myth, there were some benefits to it.
And as to whether PCB and SLC are prostituting, it is much better than ECB doing the same to Stanford. Atleast in the former case, cricket is not endangered.
Both are utterly cringeworthy, and neither is worthy of any more credit than the other.
And India is not the only country who is benefiting. Things like the IPL have gone a long way in rewarding overseas players for their skill. No wonder they don't want any future tours disrupting their schedules to play in the IPL.

And IPL never have went against any FTP.
Where have I said otherwise to any of this? You seem to be tacking stuff other people have said onto me. The IPL would've been perfectly possible whether India was the dominant power in cricket or not, and of course there have been many benefits to the IPL as well as one or two drawbacks (though these relate to long-term not short-term - I for one have never complained about disruption to the FTP).

Precambrian

Banned
Not really. The most honourable wealthy types have always been the types who look to use their wealth for the greater good, to share it and not to attempt to gain power via it.

This applies in cricket as much as anywhere else. Cricket's best interests are not served by any one country running the show. Of course it's completely impossible for things to be a true balance of all equals for the reasons I mentioned above, but something closer to what we currently have (and have pretty well always had) would be infinitely desireable.
You are vying for Utopia, which will never come. And people are not noble, lest the BCCI who have proved to be complete suckers for money and power. So don't ever expect it to happen. For long India has been at the receiving end of everything in cricket, whether it be schedules (how often did Eng and Aus tour them prior to 95, as compared to now), and as well results. Now that they are shedding off the last remnants of colonial past, they want to assert themselves, and assert they will. Now, India has suddenly become the hotspot for International cricketers, and earlier when it used to be a hardship posting, now suddenly it has become the new tourist destination for them. UK (MCC) has run this game for so long, and they got to realise their time's over, and it's time for India to take over the mantle, for good or bad, we don't yet know.

I did that where? I am one of the least anti-BCCI people around, TBH, but there's no denying they're appalling in many ways. Likewise, the assumption that the UK essentially ruling the game, as they did for a century, was all bad is a complete myth, there were some benefits to it.
MCC ran the game, and it was in UK isnt it?

Both are utterly cringeworthy, and neither is worthy of any more credit than the other.
No, in one case it one board assuming leadership over two others, and the results have not been detrimental to the remaining boards. (Like BCCI's decision to send Indian team to Pakistan for Asia Cup, despite no other Non-Asian team even thinking of touring Pakistan). There has been some bad stuff also, like the ICL, which is not within BCCI's control and though they are trying to push that into oblivion.

Where have I said otherwise to any of this? You seem to be tacking stuff other people have said onto me. The IPL would've been perfectly possible whether India was the dominant power in cricket or not, and of course there have been many benefits to the IPL as well as one or two drawbacks (though these relate to long-term not short-term - I for one have never complained about disruption to the FTP).
IPL wouldnt have bene possible had India been not dominant in the cricket world. Rather, I would say, IPL is the proof of dominance of Indian cricket. It finally showed that the criket in India has grown into such proportions that a billion-dollar project like IPL could be sustained viably without any foreign investment, atleast directly.

pasag

RTDAS
This is rubbish. Was reading not long ago about how much money has been coming into CA over the years - it's in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Precambrian

Banned
This is rubbish. Was reading not long ago about how much money has been coming into CA over the years - it's in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
Not my opinion, Mike Selvey's of The Guardian Newspaper. Link given above.

Hundreds of million dollars every year??? That would make it even richer than BCCI.

EDIT - As per Wikipedia, CA had gross revenue of AUD 120.6 Million (USD 81.25 Million) for year ended 30th June 2007, (mainly due to the Ashes) Previous year income was AUD 79.5 Million (USD 53 Million). Profit figures are not available.

Comparative figure for BCCI is Rs.1000 Crore (USD 200 Million) and profit of Rs.303 Crores (USD 60.6 Million)

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Not my opinion, Mike Selvey's of The Guardian Newspaper. Link given above.

Hundreds of million dollars every year??? That would make it even richer than BCCI.
Having a look at the wiki, it says they made 120 mil on '07 but that was higher then usual because of the Ashes and WC. The book I read published this year said they were sitting on a very healthy war chest so I really wouldn't trust an English journos passing word on it. Obviously they don't come close to India with 700mil TV deals and all the money they made from the IPL. However it could all fall apart with the economy, I suppose the BCCI and all the other boards would be similarly hit though.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Karachi: Indian Premier League official and former BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah has threatened to take legal course against Mohammad Yousuf if the Pakistani batsman returned to the 'rebel' Indian Cricket League fold.

Shah has claimed that the IPL reserved the right to take legal action against Yousuf as he had been paid an advance of $125,000 for joining them. Even if he had not played in the League for any team, he was a contracted player with them.

"We reserve the right to take legal action against him if he has joined the Indian Cricket League," Shah told Geo News.
The Indian board official said Yousuf was given a contract by the IPL on the insistence of the Pakistan Cricket Board which was keen he get a chance to play in the league after he broke away from the ICL in late 2007.

Yousuf's decision to join the ICL comes at a time when he has filed an appeal in the Mumbai High Court against a stay order issued by an arbitrator against him playing for any other league.

The arbitrator had ruled after ICL had filed a legal case against Yousuf for breach of contract after the batsman first signed up for them in August, 2007 and then returned his advance payment and decided to get a contract in the Indian Premier League

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the entertainment continues......

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Karachi: Indian Premier League official and former BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah has threatened to take legal course against Mohammad Yousuf if the Pakistani batsman returned to the 'rebel' Indian Cricket League fold.

Shah has claimed that the IPL reserved the right to take legal action against Yousuf as he had been paid an advance of $125,000 for joining them. Even if he had not played in the League for any team, he was a contracted player with them.

"We reserve the right to take legal action against him if he has joined the Indian Cricket League," Shah told Geo News.
The Indian board official said Yousuf was given a contract by the IPL on the insistence of the Pakistan Cricket Board which was keen he get a chance to play in the league after he broke away from the ICL in late 2007.

Yousuf's decision to join the ICL comes at a time when he has filed an appeal in the Mumbai High Court against a stay order issued by an arbitrator against him playing for any other league.

The arbitrator had ruled after ICL had filed a legal case against Yousuf for breach of contract after the batsman first signed up for them in August, 2007 and then returned his advance payment and decided to get a contract in the Indian Premier League

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the entertainment continues......
If this is true, then Yousuf is incredibly stupid and/or lacking any morals whatsoever

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What the hell are the ICC doing, if Yousuf can't play for PAK now two teams would have lost BIG players just to these stupid 20/20 competitions who don't really care about the helping the improve our sport.

Of course its a big part of the games future, but the ICC needs to take a serious stand soon.

Xuhaib

International Coach
If this is true, then Yousuf is incredibly stupid and/or lacking any morals whatsoever
This is what Yousuf's personal agent has to say:

With regards to Mohamed Yousuf, Azhar confirmed that Yousuf initially signed a contract with the ICL and obtained a signing on fee from the ICL. This signing on fee from the ICL, despite stories in the press saying otherwise, was returned to the ICL by Yousuf.

Yousuf then signed a contract with the IPL but he couldnt play in the IPL due to objections from the ICL and of course the fact that he had signed a contract with the ICL already.

Azhar believes that now that a player of Yousuf's calibre has signed for the ICL will make the PCB look into sorting out the whole issue of banning ICL players. Azhar thinks that we may see some leeway given to ICL contracted players by the PCB.

Azhar also clarified that he has read on a variety of sources that Yousuf was compensated by the PCB for him not joining the ICL - that is untrue, Yousuf was not compensated a single rupee by the PCB.

Finally on the issue regarding Yousuf and the ICL/IPL, Azhar stated that the IPL cannot sue Yousuf as his ICL contract pre-dates the IPL contract.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This statement is authentic since the website from where I have picked up this statement is credible and has good connections within the Pakistan cricket setup.