• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test Cricketer Younger Than You?

stumpski

International Captain
Yes, for there to have never been a Test player older than you, you'd have needed to be born before 1827. :ph34r: Even I'm not that long in the tooth.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, for there to have never been a Test player older than you, you'd have needed to be born before 1827. :ph34r: Even I'm not that long in the tooth.
Maybe I was born before 1827 also, in a previous incarnation :)

thierry henry

International Coach
Southee for me, and now Flynn.

Richard, you said Southee is 2 1/2 years younger than you, actually he is more than three years younger afaik.

Youngest player for any team was, supposedly, Mohammad Sharif, waaaaaaaaay back in 2001. His DOB then was listed as December 12 1985 and he was reported as a 15 year old when he toured New Zealand. However, cricinfo now lists his DOB as December 12 1983, so I dunno what to think. I'm so intrigued I'm going to start a thread on it.

There have been a host of Bangladeshis younger than me from about 2002 onwards, but I'm not sure who the first non-Bangla was.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think I probably meant 3-and-a-half years younger than me... strange how these things work.

And Honest, I can't immediately think of anyone younger than Parthiv Patel, whose was a truly ridiculous case. Never has been up to Test standard that lad.

Though Ajay Ratra himself wasn't old IIRR.

thierry henry

International Coach
Parthiv is actually 17 days older than me. Funny, because he's one guy who I actually perceived as younger than me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given he was 17 going-on 14 on debut, hardly surprising.

As I say though, no excuse for him playing Test cricket at all, he was a woeful wicketkeeper and pretty poor batsman.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yasir Ali

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/43670.html

Although he's Pakistani, which is dodgy, and he only ever played Bangladesh

I've scoured the "youngest ever player" lists and that's all I've got...that and Chawla from 2006, a few weeks before I was 21.

Now I need to narrow my search to exclude all matches involving Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, and excluding Pakistani players. I'm sure there must've been someone before Chawla.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rudra Pratap Singh man!!!!

Read my bloody post! Anything that applies to Neil and me also applies to you.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Jimmy Anderson for me... that surprised me a bit actually, he seems to have been around a while. I sometimes forget how young he was when picked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jimmy Anderson for me... that surprised me a bit actually, he seems to have been around a while. I sometimes forget how young he was when picked.
Bloody hell, always imagined you were my age or so. Looks like you're a few years older. :)

thierry henry

International Coach
Actually Rich, we don't have the same answer....mine would seem to be Dinesh Karthik, November 2004, who is older than you but younger than me