• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A little while away but why not start talking about it now?

I see on blackcaps.co.nz they say:
This domestic season is set to be our biggest ever, with more games, more TV coverage, and more international stars than ever before.
So can we expect some decent State Shield coverage this season? I hope so.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hopefully more free to air stuff as I no longer have Sky. Doubt it somehow (though it may be on that TV7 freeview thing for news and sports?).

Should be a good season. Hoping Otago can go back to back in the one dayers, and make the FC final.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Heard a rumour Steven Croft had signed for Auckland this season? I know Napier and Mascarenhas will be playing in NZ, any other English players?

brockley

International Captain
Shane deitz will be the under 17 and under `19 coach,played for the redbacks till last year,could get a call up for wellington you never know,handy wickie :sleep:

_Ed_

Maybe, although Nevin's pretty good - would have to be injured.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Napier is playing for Easts in Wellington, so I'd expect to see him turn out for Wellington in the one-day and 20:20 stuff at least.

I think Upper Valley (or whatever they're called this week) have signed an overseas player, but I'm not entirely sure who. Watch this space.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mascarenhas as the signing for Otago, wonder how much cricket McCullum and Redmond will get for us though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Mascarenhas as the signing for Otago, wonder how much cricket McCullum and Redmond will get for us though.
Redmond won't play any ODIs so some at least. Haven't checked the schedule but hopefully Macca can make another finals cameo :ph34r:

brockley

International Captain
Cameron merchant been over here in oz playing for manly,is he still turning out for northern districts this year.
Saw his name in their gradings,but he is in oz at the moment,maybe he is warming up in oz like james franklin before the nz season.
Altho franklin not doing much bowling for the canberra comets mainly playing as a batsmen.

Flem274*

123/5
Central Districts all the way this year.

Hoping Oram, How, Taylor and Mason can make some appearances this season.

bryce

International Regular
Heard a rumour Steven Croft had signed for Auckland this season?
I haven't heard anything at all to support this so couldn't be sure. NZ under-19 rep Harry Boam has been based in Birmingham IIRC and got handed a Wellington contract, but no other English players I don't think, unless Shreck is coming back? There is a contract list here
Cameron merchant been over here in oz playing for manly,is he still turning out for northern districts this year.
Saw his name in their gradings,but he is in oz at the moment,maybe he is warming up in oz like james franklin before the nz season.
Yeah he's quality, nice guy too. Came into our clubrooms last year and shook all of our hands and introduced himself

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Players to watch
Bennett: looked like he was finally coming good at the end of last season with a string of strong performances in ODI's and a match winning 7 for in the final. Pacey and bouncy.

Boult: With Southee likely to be concerned with international duties for most of the coming season, one would expect his U19 deputy to take up his role for ND.

Anderson: Superb in the emerging players tournament, looking to see how batting and bowling develops.

Hay: Flat track bully? :ph34r:

Guptill: Had a good ODI season last year, but was still rubbish in FC cricket where we really need young talent.

Sherlock: Not sure what kinda pace he's producing these days, but he had a solid finish to the end of last season. If he can push forward there may yet be hope he could develop into a quality player.

bryce

International Regular
Players to watch
Bennett: looked like he was finally coming good at the end of last season with a string of strong performances in ODI's and a match winning 7 for in the final. Pacey and bouncy.
ODI:wacko: List-A I presume:p Funny you didn't mention anything about how Bennett went in the Emerging Players' tournament - 18 overs 0/126. Definately needs to work on bowling a tighter line. Be picking these guys for big seasons

Auckland - Nicol, McKay
Canterbury - Myburgh, Burtt
Central - Hay, Diamanti
Northern - Merchant, Boult
Otago - Todd, McMillan
Wellington - Woodcock, Bowden

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't heard anything at all to support this so couldn't be sure. NZ under-19 rep Harry Boam has been based in Birmingham IIRC and got handed a Wellington contract, but no other English players I don't think, unless Shreck is coming back? There is a contract list here
Theres a few news articles about him being on the verge of signing but i can't find any that confirm it

from
Here

“It’s all pretty much sorted,” explained Croft. “Lancashire are going through the contract, and Auckland are going through theirs. Going away to play first-class cricket means it will be something extra special.

“I have never been to New Zealand, but I have been to Australia twice. I have certainly never been away to play first-class cricket.”

Croft will become the fourth Lancashire player to play for Auckland in recent times, joining Mal Loye, Lou Vincent and James Anderson.

_Ed_

So can we expect some decent State Shield coverage this season? I hope so.
I've found an answer to this question...

The men's State Twenty20 competition expands from six rounds and a final last season, to eight rounds and a final for 2008-09. SKY will televise a record eight State Twenty20 matches, and the State Shield final.
FFS. :@