• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie suggestion to revamp ODI Cricket

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
* Each Country should play a Maxiuim of 20 one day internationals and a Miniuim of 30
They've got to play more than 30 and less than 20?

How in the name of John Wisden is that going to work?!

* World cup every 3 years with 16 sides in 4 groups of 4 and then Knockout
Too many irrelevant matches. There are only 8 good teams.

* Cut down on Triangler series(They do my head in)
Nothing wrong with them. Yes, the VB Series is over-long, but I think that the NatWest Series in England is an excellent joining point between the two Test Series.

As Eddie said, I think this summer's International schedule in England is just about perfect.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think we should stick with the current system, but have far fewer matches, along with an ODI table which I think is already implemented anyway.... Along with an ICC Trophy and a much shorter world cup Mr.Bacher!

I agree with chris hinton, i hate triangular tournaments because they are harder to keep track of points and net run rates etc.etc

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well I was actually going to say I quite liked this idea. The table would become less meaningless if every team played each other the same amount rather than SL, Pak, and one other team playing a triangular tournament every month!

Also I seem to recall it was said the World Cup *might* be scrapped (I doubt it would).

I'm sure someone could come up with plans to make travelling arrangements convenient (as much as possible), and I really don't think it would be that bad.

However I am a fan of the current system (ie series), but agree seven games is too many and as mentioned above I think there are too many triangular tournaments (not that they are bad, just too many).

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
It sounds like a logistical disaster, and too much travelling for one ODI.

Why not have 3 matches home and and three away (instead of one match each).

And have it spread over three or four years instead of one.

This will be useful because even the meaningless series between Aus/Zim for example will mean something, higher run rate etc. And atleast I wont get to hear the idiots in PCB saying they are preparing for the future WC, and will have to play the best side every game.

And everyone seems to agree the WC is the biggest thing going in cricket, and why kill the goose that lays the golden egg (with the fear of sounding cliched). Even with so many problems in the last WC (almost felt as if a school kid had organized it), the last WC was quite a success.

Perhaps have the winner of the WC play the winner of the champion over all four years (if they are not both austrailia that is), to have a super winner.