• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you like Matthew Hayden

Do you like Matthew Hayden

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The only time I disliked Hayden was when he made that comment on Radio about Harbhajan. Other than that he comes across as a really nice and friendly guy in his interviews. As for his batting..one of the best of his era, Hardly gets the respect that he deserves, at least on this forum.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quite indifferent towards him, but voted yes because i think he gets too much abuse. What he said, actually ^.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Irritates me no end. Not sure why, just does. Have never really been a fan of him as a cricketer or a person.
Pretty much agree with this. No real reason behind it, other than he comes across as a bit of a **** who has a big case of foot-in-mouth disorder.

Hate his batting style as well.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am fairly indifferent towards Haydos, so I opted for some Corrin-love.

Bit of an idol in a way. Has a few kids and a missus but still loves his piss and his Gunners, can't think of too many things that are better. Would help if he wasn't English, but everybody has flaws.

Perm

Could say it about most people, in my experience, TBH.

Are there many CWers, for instance, who are your sort of blokes?
Odd question, but yeah, there's quite a few actually. I'd list them but I have this paralysing fear of rejection.
:laugh:

Interesting really, not meaning to sidetrack the thread, but how many of our 'friends' on CW would you be mates with in real life? Speaking from a personal level, I know there aren't too many bogans or stoners on here, so I'd say very few. Hingeh possibly, even tho we aren't really 'mates' on CW, seems like the kind of guy I'd like in real life.

Mister Wright

Am fairly indifferent towards Haydos, so I opted for some Corrin-love.

Bit of an idol in a way. Has a few kids and a missus but still loves his piss and his Gunners, can't think of too many things that are better. Would help if he wasn't English, but everybody has flaws.
Thought you were talking about Haydos there for a second. Hang on...he's not English! :ph34r:

Polo23

International Debutant
Right, list the said instances of hypocrisy please.
I'm not going to go searching around for instances of hypocrisy to please you. Especially when I am well entitled to my opinion, what are you going to do? Change my mind? I don't think so.

Heres what I was getting at about his bible bashing hypocrisy anyway:

“Religion has always been a tremendous reference point with me… When I’m in trouble it’s always something to think about. I ask myself what would Christ be doing in this situation?” - Matthew Hayden.

I find it hard to believe 'Christ' would be donning an Indian accent and ripping into Harbhajan on a radio station, don't you?

Sorry Matthew, your piss poor attempt at a sense of humour didn't hide the gigantic chip on both shoulders...unless of course you are Australian, in which case I am sure you bought it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not going to go searching around for instances of hypocrisy to please you. Especially when I am well entitled to my opinion, what are you going to do? Change my mind? I don't think so.

“Religion has always been a tremendous reference point with me… When I’m in trouble it’s always something to think about. I ask myself what would Christ be doing in this situation?” - Matthew Hayden.

I find it hard to believe 'Christ' would be donning an Indian accent and ripping into Harbhajan on a radio station, don't you?

Sorry Matthew, your piss poor attempt at a sense of humour didn't hide the gigantic chip on both shoulders...unless of course you are Australian, in which case I am sure you bought it.
Geez you're a putz. Honestly, it's a legitimate question, especially since above example is woeful (Christianity doesn't demand perfect behaviour but offers forgiveness for transgressions, which Hayden could claim for the above).

gwo

U19 Debutant

eh. So Christians aren't perfect. What's your qualm? Care to give another example?

Johnners

Because of course, that's the most hypocritical thing ever. I don't particularly like Matthew Hayden, but you certainly seem to be clutching at straws there.

pasag

RTDAS

You made a pretty harsh statement twice, so back it up. I have no issues with you not liking the guy but if you're going to call him the biggest hypocrite in cricket I'd like to see some examples.

Polo23

International Debutant
Australians taking offense to me calling Hayden a hypocrite?

Oh how surprising :laugh:

Sorry I forgot, any critisism of anything to do with Australian cricket isnt allowed.

pasag

RTDAS

Sorry I forgot, any critisism of anything to do with Australian cricket isnt allowed.
Not taking offence nor is criticism of Australians players not allowed. All we're doing is asking you to back up your statement.

Mister Wright

Think you'll actually find Australians tend to be most critical of their own. However, the points you have made are laughable. As someone said before. Clutching at straws to back up your bogus statements.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting really, not meaning to sidetrack the thread, but how many of our 'friends' on CW would you be mates with in real life?
Quite a few I'd guess. And probably in the same way (eg, my, er, friendship with Neil Pickup involves a healthy amount of contempt for each-other on both sides, for example).

Dunno about sidetracking the thread though - sledger mainly wants poll votes, so the longer the thread's kept up top for, the better.

Craig

World Traveller
Don't ask why I did this (didn't take long , anyway). Just that Haydos can and has scored against the best Australia has to offer;

1993/94

In a season where McGrath took wickets against everyone and NSW were the benchmark side, Haydos hit him for 173 in this match (out of 281 in the 2nd dig), didn't play in the return match;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1993-94/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_NSW_SS_04-07NOV1993.html

1994/95

Against Vic with Merv Hughes and Paul Reiffel, a damn-near run-a-ball double ton in the days when they were a rarity, especially in Aussie domestic cricket;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1994-95/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_VIC_SS_11-14NOV1994.html

Really kicked on after QLD won the Shield, was a huge reason why they won it regularly thereafter in fact.

1997/98

181 against a full-strength NSW side including McGrath, the Waughs, etc.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1997-98/AUS_LOCAL/SS/QLD_NSW_SS_15-18OCT1997.html

1999/00 (season before getting picked in the Aussie side again

Against the Lee's and McGill in Sydney;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1999-2000/AUS_LOCAL/SS/NSW_QLD_SS_19-22NOV1999.html

And they were just the examples I could remember off the top of my head. Fact is, before Haydos was picked again in 2001, he was the most feared opening batsman in the country at home or away, on damp fliers (which there plenty of in QLD in the 90's) and roads. It didn't matter, he hit you and hit you hard.

As for the bloke, what I've heard about him suggests he's just a hard nut on the field. I'm sure he's a nice bloke generally.
As pedantic as this sounds, but I can't help myself, wasn't it the tour to New Zealand in early 2000 when he got recalled at the expense of Greg Blewitt? :p I remember it well because of his run in with a university student in Dunedin. As for you last scorecard, I remebered the name Don Nash, whatever happened to him?

I had to vote for Corrin anyway.

Last edited: