• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
australian batting looks very thin,only hayden stands betwen india and a series victory.
in india ponting always fails,and rest are defensive batsman if symonds does not come
they will take the pressure from indian spinners and really they won in 2003-04 only because of internal politics of bcci and preparing seamer friendly pitches in 2 tests where they won.and rain in chennai.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
For the purposes of comparison, i don't think Ganguly's as good as his opposite number, Clarke, anyway. Nor, on recent-ish form, would i have Dravid over Ponting or Tendulkar over Hussey, and Laxman-Symonds is debatable too. I would conclude that only Virender Sehwag (and the wicket keeper, Dhoni) would get in the Australian batting lineup. So no, i really don't think this Indian batting lineup is the best in the world at all.
you are comparing hussey to tendulkar, a guy who has played less than 50 tests
and did not do well agianst a decent indian attack at home what you expect him to do
in india.

symonds is nowhere near laxman in tests,laxman is proven in all conditions where as
symonds is just starting.

pasag

RTDAS
Expecting the quality of posting to reach an all time low during this series, especially if recent form is any indication.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cut out the trolling before they get on a roll and the thread will be fine.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Expecting the quality of posting to reach an all time low during this series, especially if recent form is any indication.
Yeah, fully expect a few bannings early on too. And as sad as it is, I'm actually hoping for them to ensure a decent quality of discussion.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think so. They have seen more than enough international cricket to understand not to underestimate any international team, particularly India. I don't think they'll do what Australia did at Perth last time.
Yet that's exactly what they did to SL. I don't care how well Mendis bowled (and he was good), they should have thrashed SL, even at home.

And their batting looks very, very settled? Hayden is still iffy due to the injury. And Jaques, how much experience has he got at the top? Ponting's been a joke in india. Then? Hussey? He looks searching for form since the bad tour in Windies, and is yet to prove on away surfaces.
Just about every team who goes anywhere has issues exactly like that. Doesn't mean they won't do well. As an example, before the 2003/04 series in Aus, many were saying Dravid would get pinned-down by the Aussie bowlers because he had the previous tour yet was the best batsman on both sides. Ganguly was no good against pace or seam yet scored 140-odd on the greenest deck we've seen in Aus for years, Kumble was going to be belted yet took a 7-fer and 8-fer in the last two Tests and Sachin was over the hill yet scored an unbeaten double ton in Sydney. Using previous form as a predictor is risky for these reasons.

I'm only going on what I've seen of these two sides batting of late and, with Hayden, the Aussies look solid but, of course, they'll need to put big totals on the board because the Indians will too. There's a lot to suggest Ponting will do much, much better this time, Hussey and Symonds seem to be hitting them well and in the wings you have Katich in pretty decent form himself.

India against Mendis showed not only an inability to pick Mendis but a fairly disturbing inability to adapt to that fact. Sehwag looked good (as he generally does) and Sachin played him fairly well but from what I'm hearing, his elbow might be flaring up a bit again. India's batting back-up seems somewhat questionable so they'll need the current group batting well too.

Absolutely agree. Only doubt is whether Haydos will be fully fit and whether Symonds will tour. Can't wait to watch Haydos sweep the spinners out.
This is what I'm saying about past form being a risky predictor; Haydos hasn't played the sweep anywhere near as regularly as 2001 since, well, 2001. He's a different player.

Lol, an left arm spinner camouflaged as medium fast? On these slow tracks, he will be taken for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner by the Indian batsmen. Watch out for the "cute paddle" from Tendulkar.
Yeah because no medium-paced bloke who essentially bowls cutters has ever done well in India. Oh wait......

That will only compound Australia's issues. Personally I found him to be a bit on the defensive side. But again, wait and watch.
I don't rate him, myself. Be happy to be proven wrong, though.

Precambrian

Banned
Yet that's exactly what they did to SL. I don't care how well Mendis bowled (and he was good), they should have thrashed SL, even at home.
Why? This is cricket, and hugely unpredicatable. If that's the case, why did Australians lose the Ashes in 2005? With all the arms in their arsenal, shouldnt they have thrashed England 5-0? Nah, Sri Lanka, clearly were the better team in test matches, especially because of the novelty associated with Mendis. When a bowler of such class and Murali bowls in tandem, there is little the Indians could really do, at least initially, though in the later stages, they started picking Mendis. But it was too late.

Just about every team who goes anywhere has issues exactly like that. Doesn't mean they won't do well. As an example, before the 2003/04 series in Aus, many were saying Dravid would get pinned-down by the Aussie bowlers because he had the previous tour yet was the best batsman on both sides. Ganguly was no good against pace or seam yet scored 140-odd on the greenest deck we've seen in Aus for years, Kumble was going to be belted yet took a 7-fer and 8-fer in the last two Tests and Sachin was over the hill yet scored an unbeaten double ton in Sydney. Using previous form as a predictor is risky for these reasons.
Should also consider the quality of bowlers in the 03-04 tour. No McGrath, No Warne. Bowlers like Bichel, Gillespie, Williams and (then) Lee were hardly anywhere these champions' class. And Warne's replacement, Macgill was fodder for Indians anyway. Plus Dravid was at the peak of his career when he ran into probably the weakest bowling attack I've seen in Australia (including the recently concluded). No real wonder even Ganguly made a 140, and if you watch that innings, the bowlers bowled half volleys, than bouncers, feeding his strengths, otherwise he was mediocre in that tour. Regarding Sachin, he was victim of an atrocious umpiring decision, and also had problems outside the off stump, but over the hill?, got to be joking mate, it would be really foolish to write off Sachin any time till he decides to retire.

I'm only going on what I've seen of these two sides batting of late and, with Hayden, the Aussies look solid but, of course, they'll need to put big totals on the board because the Indians will too. There's a lot to suggest Ponting will do much, much better this time, Hussey and Symonds seem to be hitting them well and in the wings you have Katich in pretty decent form himself.
Nah, Ponting looks still Harbajanised. Even in Australia, save for Adelaide.

India against Mendis showed not only an inability to pick Mendis but a fairly disturbing inability to adapt to that fact. Sehwag looked good (as he generally does) and Sachin played him fairly well but from what I'm hearing, his elbow might be flaring up a bit again. India's batting back-up seems somewhat questionable so they'll need the current group batting well too.
Yep, Indian batting lineup, barring injuries will be formidable. Even discounting Ganguly, who has really never done well in Indo-Aus matches anyway (except Gabba). I only wish Tendulkar is fully fit or otherwise it will huge blow. In fact 2004 loss could be repeated where he missed the first two games owing to injury. Dravid's form too is a concern, but then, the bowling attack is fairly familiar, and not "mysterious" and "have-to-adapt" like Mendis'.

This is what I'm saying about past form being a risky predictor; Haydos hasn't played the sweep anywhere near as regularly as 2001 since, well, 2001. He's a different player.
That's because perhaps you havent seen really him play in India that much. He counters much of Harbhajan using that sweep of his, very effective also. So I am really looking forward to it.

Uppercut

you are comparing hussey to tendulkar, a guy who has played less than 50 tests
and did not do well agianst a decent indian attack at home what you expect him to do
in india.

symonds is nowhere near laxman in tests,laxman is proven in all conditions where as
symonds is just starting.
Hussey did very well against India last winter, didn't he average almost 50? I'm not interested in how many tests either of them have played or the achievements they have under their belts. If i was to bet on who's going to score more runs in a match tomorrow, my money would be on Hussey. IMO Tendulkar's a very overrated batsman, Hussey's a very underrated batsman.

I'm hesitating to compare Laxman and Symonds, because i'm not sure Symonds will be there.

Precambrian

Banned
Hussey did very well against India last winter, didn't he average almost 50? I'm not interested in how many tests either of them have played or the achievements they have under their belts. If i was to bet on who's going to score more runs in a match tomorrow, my money would be on Hussey. IMO Tendulkar's a very overrated batsman, Hussey's a very underrated batsman.

I'm hesitating to compare Laxman and Symonds, because i'm not sure Symonds will be there.
Hussey is yet to play any test in India.

If you are referring to Hussey averaging over 50 in his home series, don't forget Sachin averaged 70 and was top run getter.

As to you saying Sachin is overrated, lol, Don Bradman rated him highly, Richie Benaud called him the greatest since Bradman, ah, well, jus see my sig. And the stats? They weren't bought.

Uppercut

If you are referring to Hussey averaging over 50 in his home series, don't forget Sachin averaged 70 and was top run getter.

As to you saying Sachin is overrated, lol, Don Bradman rated him highly, Richie Benaud called him the greatest since Bradman, ah, well, jus see my sig. And the stats? They weren't bought.
What stats? Well he averages 51 without Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. By means of comparison, a vastly underrated batsman, Virender Sehwag, averages 53 without Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. Opening.

Tendulkar plays unbelievable cricket to watch. What really gets me is how when he plays a stroke, it sometimes makes no sound. Literally not the slightest sound of the ball hitting the bat. That's what makes him so special. In terms of getting runs, though, he's not the best in the business.

andyc

Haha FFS you're pathetic in your Tendulkar-love sometimes. Richie Benaud also rated Dennis Lillee highly as well, why don't we get him in the team then?

Precambrian

Banned
Haha FFS you're pathetic in your Tendulkar-love sometimes. Richie Benaud also rated Dennis Lillee highly as well, why don't we get him in the team then?
I am, just like you pathetically support yours. I am just being honest in my admiration and i never resort to crappish arguments to prove my case. I just state what is there, rather than stating motherhood statements like "Hussey is underrated, Tendulkar is overrated" etc. I for never once said Hussey is underrated or overrated. I never even said any batsman is crap or potentially crap in the current Aussie side, all I was doing is defend my icon. I think that's something I am entitled to being a fan.

Tendulkar had a bad series in Sri Lanka and will be looking to become the mainstay of the muddle order that the Fab 4 has become these days. However if he has a sub-par series (averaging less than 45), I think his time may surely be up.

pasag

RTDAS
I am, just like you pathetically support yours. I am just being honest in my admiration and i never resort to crappish arguments to prove my case. I just state what is there, rather than stating motherhood statements like "Hussey is underrated, Tendulkar is overrated" etc. I for never once said Hussey is underrated or overrated. I never even said any batsman is crap or potentially crap in the current Aussie side, all I was doing is defend my icon. I think that's something I am entitled to being a fan.

Tendulkar had a bad series in Sri Lanka and will be looking to become the mainstay of the muddle order that the Fab 4 has become these days. However if he has a sub-par series (averaging less than 45), I think his time may surely be up.
I don't think it should be based on averages, really. If he looks good but gets out for whatever reason then I'd have no issues with him staying even if his average for the series was, say 30. If he looks horrible like Dravid has been at times recently, then you'd start the discussion, IMO.

Perm

Yeah, fully agreed. I think it's fair to say that the general standard of CW has dropped over the last few months and there's been a fair amount of posts and threads that are nothing short of disgraceful. It really takes the shine off a highly anticipated tour like this if you can't come on CW and discuss the cricket without having to read through petty arguments, trolling and general rubbish posting.