• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Not that accuracy seems to be high on their list of priorities... I thought Mitchell Johnson was a WA player these days.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
If I was Noffke I'd be pretty livid. He didn't perform under pressure? **** went out to bowl and bat in every game last season knowing if he didn't do something the side was ****ed.

Julian87

State Captain
Krejza is such an odd selection - and a **** one. Why not pick Cullen, Heal or Doherty if you weren't going to pick Casson. It's so confusing.

Hope Katich plays instead of Watson - would be much more comfortable with him in the side.
Maybe because Krejza is a better bowler.

pup11

International Coach
The squad for the four Test matches to be played is:
Code:
PLAYER	STATE	AGE
Ricky Ponting, Captain	TAS	33
Michael Clarke, Vice-Captain	NSW	26
Doug Bollinger	NSW	27
Stuart Clark	NSW	32
Brad Haddin	NSW	30
Matthew Hayden	QLD	36
Michael Hussey	WA	32
Phil Jaques	NSW	28
Mitchell Johnson	QLD	26
Simon Katich	NSW	32
Jason Krejza	TAS	25
Brett Lee	NSW	31
Bryce McGain	VIC	36
Peter Siddle	VIC	23
Shane Watson	QLD	27
Interesting squad there. Krejza is a decent off spinner who can bat a bit from what I have heard, but I don't see why he should of been selected. He will not get a run while Bryce McGain is there. But as in my report, he may just be this spinner Australia are blooding. I said, "The next topic I wish to cover is Australia's spinner. We need one, who is a front line spinner, not some part timer, like Andrew Symonds or Michael Clarke. Although Clarke has been talking to former leg spin king, Shane Warne, not doing much bowling, just discussing field placements, how to bowl to certain batsmen, where to pitch it, etc.

I think Australia's spinner should be Bryce McGain, even though he is a quick fix. He will be good enough for the tour of India, New Zealand's tour here, and finally the South African tour. However, we may need to blood a spinner, for the 2009 Ashes, because if McGain can't last that long, we will be lost on the spin friendly pitches of England." This is correct, and Australia may just be making the right move in selecting him, so he can hang around the team a bit, and get the feel of things. I can see him sending down a few in the One Dayers as well, where McGain can be rested.

Watson will only be for the One Dayers.

Great to see Bollinger in the side, exactly what we need, so he can play Tests and Johnson can bowl in the ODI's. As I have said many times before, he is a one day player, and he gets the ball to bend back in to the right handers, which is great. It will be interesting to see how much swing any of the Australian bowlers can get from these pitches.

From the squad above, I think we can expect a side looking a little something like this:
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Phil Jaques
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Simon Katich/Shane Watson
7. Brad Haddin
8. Brett Lee
9. Stuart Clark
10. Bryce McGain
11. Doug Bollinger

The only position I am unsure about in there is number 6, where we no longer have Andrew Symonds, for this tour at least. I think Simon Katich should be selected over Shane Watson, for 2 main reasons;

1 - Because Katich is better at rebuilding innings after losing a few wickets, where Harbhajan and Kumble will rip through our top order on our pitches.

2 - He offers more spin, which is what you need on Indian, low, spinning pitches. And with Lee, Clark and Bollinger holding up the fast bowling attack, as well as McGain sending down some leggies, another fast bowler is not needed.

One more note, I don't know where McGain bats, so I just slotted him in at number 10. Correct me if he would bat in a different spot.

And yes, that did drag on, and makes no sense at all. :)

Gun post mate, and i agree with most of the points you made, i think it would be fair enough if Johnson sits on the fringes and Bolliger gets to play in the XI, Johnson has been crap more or less through his test career, and i can't see him doing much either during this series either.

As far the spin problems are concerened, as you said McGain is just a stop-gap arrangement but he seems to be the best bet atm, but Casson looks to be the best bet in the longer run when one has a look at all the spin bowling stock that is avaliable in Australia atm, he is wrist-spinner, seems to have decent variations, all he needs to do is work on his accuracy a bit more and also try to be a little quicker through the air.

We Aussie fans are not spoilt for choices or anything when it comes to spin anymore, agreed Casson is strictly avereage atm but when compared to the Cullen(s), Krejza, Doran, Heal (sorry Nath :ph34r: ) and Hauritz, Casson seems to the best out of the lot.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quite a surprise to see Krejza and Siddle in the squad, but good for them.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully Kat gets in over Watson. Although I'm not confident.

Has Hayden fully recovered from his injury yet?

Expecting Clarke to get a fair bit of the ball this tour....

Go Douggie!

pup11

International Coach
If I was Noffke I'd be pretty livid. He didn't perform under pressure? **** went out to bowl and bat in every game last season knowing if he didn't do something the side was ****ed.
Yeah it would be pretty hard for someone to explain to Noffers why he was dropped from the side and replaced by a greenhorn like Siddle, i completely agree with you Smithy, Noffke virtually carried the Bulls all on his own through the last season due to their injury problems and all, he would be really pissed to be dropped like this, after doing all that he did during the last season.

pup11

International Coach
Nah you were right, no more ODIs in '08 for Australia.
TBH, don't care much about that since Australia are playing test cricket against pretty strong sides for the rest of the year,(yeah there are two test against the Black caps too, but that's bearable) :p

Jakester1288

International Regular
Selectors place faith in Watson

By Daniel Brettig
September 12, 2008
AUSTRALIAN cricket's powerbrokers are hopeful of getting Andrew Symonds back for summer, but they will be more than happy if Shane Watson grabs his chance in the meantime.

Symonds' rehabilitation program with sports psychologist Phil Jauncey has not yet run its course, meaning the national selection panel was unable to consider the Queenslander for what is likely to be a testing Indian assignment.

Instead, responsibility for staunch middle order batting and serviceable seam bowling will fall to Watson, so far known as much for his injuries as his abilities.

"You miss Andrew Symonds, he's a great player, but this is just the way it is at the moment, we're really happy with the squad mix," chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch said.

"Shane Watson, I think it probably has assisted his entry back into the team and he'll give us the bowling options we need over there, to bowl 10-15 overs of medium pace in Indian conditions."

Watson will go to India with the belief instilled by his selection, but also from his wildly successful stint with IPL franchise Rajasthan earlier this year, where he was named player fo the tournament after gleaning 17 wickets and 472 runs.

Should Watson, at 27, make the all-rounder's spot his own while in India, there is a chance that CA may decide to look further into the future rather than returning to Symonds, 33.

But at this point Hilditch said he was keen to see some more of Symonds' burly batting, bowling and fielding at international level.

"We hope so (that he'll be back for summer), from a personal point of view I think he's an inspirational player at his best, he's been responsible for some great moments in the Australian cricket side," Hilditch said.

"At the moment it's all about Andrew's welfare and that process will take as long as it takes."

Very interesting read. I like the point on leaving Watson in the side rather than turning back to 33 year old Symonds, what are your thoughts on this? I think, if he can constantly play well, and consistently score runs, and pitch the ball in a good area, he should be allowed to keep his spot, but at the moment I am still more for Katich than Watson.

pup11

International Coach
Hopefully Kat gets in over Watson. Although I'm not confident.

Has Hayden fully recovered from his injury yet?

Expecting Clarke to get a fair bit of the ball this tour....

Go Douggie!
I'm pretty much certain that Watson would replace Symonds in the XI, Katich is there as a reserve batsman and he would probably only come into the picture if only a batsman gets injured or either Hayden or Ponting fail to recover in time for this series, though i personally would prefer Katich playing ahead of Watson, but can't see that happening.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think could be a great series for Watson and I am hoping it is and he justifies all the backing he has been getting.

pup11

International Coach
By Daniel Brettig
September 12, 2008
AUSTRALIAN cricket's powerbrokers are hopeful of getting Andrew Symonds back for summer, but they will be more than happy if Shane Watson grabs his chance in the meantime.

Symonds' rehabilitation program with sports psychologist Phil Jauncey has not yet run its course, meaning the national selection panel was unable to consider the Queenslander for what is likely to be a testing Indian assignment.

Instead, responsibility for staunch middle order batting and serviceable seam bowling will fall to Watson, so far known as much for his injuries as his abilities.

"You miss Andrew Symonds, he's a great player, but this is just the way it is at the moment, we're really happy with the squad mix," chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch said.

"Shane Watson, I think it probably has assisted his entry back into the team and he'll give us the bowling options we need over there, to bowl 10-15 overs of medium pace in Indian conditions."

Watson will go to India with the belief instilled by his selection, but also from his wildly successful stint with IPL franchise Rajasthan earlier this year, where he was named player fo the tournament after gleaning 17 wickets and 472 runs.

Should Watson, at 27, make the all-rounder's spot his own while in India, there is a chance that CA may decide to look further into the future rather than returning to Symonds, 33.

But at this point Hilditch said he was keen to see some more of Symonds' burly batting, bowling and fielding at international level.

"We hope so (that he'll be back for summer), from a personal point of view I think he's an inspirational player at his best, he's been responsible for some great moments in the Australian cricket side," Hilditch said.

"At the moment it's all about Andrew's welfare and that process will take as long as it takes."

Very interesting read. I like the point on leaving Watson in the side rather than turning back to 33 year old Symonds, what are your thoughts on this? I think, if he can constantly play well, and consistently score runs, and pitch the ball in a good area, he should be allowed to keep his spot, but at the moment I am still more for Katich than Watson.
I have never been in favour of Symonds being the part of the test side, but he came in as replacement to Watson (who got injured again, at that time) and with freakish luck and his maverick style of batting he piled on quite a few runs even in test cricket and even took a few handy wickets now and again, as things stand atm, i have very little hope that Symonds would ever play for Australia again, but if he does then he should be contention for a test spot, but then its upto Watson to make most the chances he gets at the test level (if he gets one) and stay fit while doing that.

If Watson does well in test cricket and stays fit, then even if Symonds is in line for a comeback, then he would just have to wait for an opening in the test squad.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
India's batsmen are going to be key to their chances of winning back the Border-Gavaskar trophy.

If they can put up big runs I think they are in with a real shot.

Here's my punt: I know Dhoni doesn't have a great test
record but I've got a feeling he's gonna be a thorn in Australia's flesh this time.