• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Series Points - A New Way of Ranking Test Players

chasingthedon

International Regular

Thanks swervy. I was particularly pleased to see Learie Constantine near the top, which I think is largely due to his fielding prowess being rewarded by this system - in time, I'll rank players just on their fielding points - it wouldn't surprise me to see him top of that list.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems like it preferetially puts players who play a lot of 5 test series on the top. If it turns out to be the case, you'll find Ponting 20 places above Tendulkar!

chasingthedon

International Regular
Seems like it preferetially puts players who play a lot of 5 test series on the top. If it turns out to be the case, you'll find Ponting 20 places above Tendulkar!
I can see why you'd think that, Migara, but I don't believe that's the case. In the 30s, New Zealand, India and West Indies had just entered the arena of Test-playing nations and hence weren't yet very good. So the highest ranked players here are mainly English, Australian and South African, who also happened to pay mainly 5-Test series. And really there's no reason why it should favour 5-Test series players, if ranked on points per series rather than total points..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And therefore wrong.
:laugh:

Indeed.

Anyway just like to mention, great stuff from Dave, I don't go in for this sort of exact stuff much myself, but it always takes great attention to detail and dedication to do things like this, so big :thumbup1: to him.

chasingthedon

International Regular
:laugh:

Indeed.

Anyway just like to mention, great stuff from Dave, I don't go in for this sort of exact stuff much myself, but it always takes great attention to detail and dedication to do things like this, so big :thumbup1: to him.
Thanks Richard - I don't expect everybody to be into this kind of thing, the main thing is that in our own way we all love cricket.