• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Blackwell

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is Image Everything?

I personally think that Ian Blackwell has been tarred with a certain brush and is now suffering because of it. His form hasn't been electrifying in 2003 but he has performed well for England which surely counts for something.

I think the ECb would rather have the marketing dream of 11 like James Anderson rather than bigger blokes who like a beer now and then.....

I hope Blackie proves a few points over the coming weeks in the national League or Twenty20 Cup.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Well I think England are missing out. He was in typical form against Surrey in the C&G 4th round at Taunton - he hit 2 sixes in succession of Saqlain Mushtaq over the scoreboard and into the carpark....but then he did get out soon after, only after scoring a very quick 39.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I believe that it is his attitude towards alcohol and the like that has caused him to be left out.

Apparently Peter Bowler is trying to sort him out and stop him from losing control. At some do or other he managed to stop him ordering beer, but the Blackwell decided to have 2 bottles of wine at last orders.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah its an absolute joke, didnt Ian Botham enjoy a drink or two?

You cant hope for anything with the current england selection panel, either completely random, pointless selections like McGrath or doing the Pakistani thing of throwing a few youngsters in because it looks fashionable...

I cant wait till the day that England start picking teams for NOW and not the next world cup

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
I believe that it is his attitude towards alcohol and the like that has caused him to be left out.

Apparently Peter Bowler is trying to sort him out and stop him from losing control. At some do or other he managed to stop him ordering beer, but the Blackwell decided to have 2 bottles of wine at last orders.
I can't blieve that he would be left out over enjoying a drink or two.

Surely it's got to be more to do with being selected as a big hitting batsman who was able to contribute a few overs with the ball if needed, yet doing praticaly nothing with the bat, but doing ok in the "weaker" of his games, which England don't really need as such as they have the like of Vaughan who is just as handy with the ball in One Dayers. Along with the 4 bowlers + AR + Part - Time eg Vaughan you don't really need to go into the game with 7 odd bolwers, and his bolwing isn't strong enough to play him as the number 1 spinner ahead of Giles, and i can't remember the last time England ever went into a game with two frontline spinners, and the fact England isn't know as a spinners dream.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Yeah its an absolute joke, didnt Ian Botham enjoy a drink or two?
Ian Botham didn't play in an era where fitness is very important and warnings to look after his body were going unheeded

Langeveldt said:
You cant hope for anything with the current england selection panel, either completely random, pointless selections like McGrath or doing the Pakistani thing of throwing a few youngsters in because it looks fashionable...
I still cannot see the whole pointless selection, but that's irrelevant here. As for "throwing a few youngsters in" - I don't think they can really be accused of that.

Langeveldt said:
I cant wait till the day that England start picking teams for NOW and not the next world cup
Why? In One Day Cricket there is only one aim, the World Cup - building for that from now a) allows the senior Test players a break, thus possibly elongating their career in that form and b) means we don't end up going to the cup with an inexperienced eleven.

Bazza

International 12th Man
But before the 1999 World Cup we had a good thing going in ODIs under Adam Hollioake, then for some reason when Atherton resigned and Stewart took over Hollioake was dumped and Stewart got both jobs. We went back to where we started and failed spectacularly.

This time around again we completely changed the setup about a year to 18 months (if that) before the WC and it back fired.

I can see us saying now "lets throw in a bunch of kids and give them four years to mould for the 2007 World Cup". Then in about two years time we'll realise it hasn't worked, totally overhaul the side and balls it up once more.

Anna

Who cares about Blackwell and his drinking if he can play cricket? Oh well, at least he'll be playing for Somerset :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anna said:
Who cares about Blackwell and his drinking if he can play cricket? Oh well, at least he'll be playing for Somerset :)
Well if he's been warned and hasn't paid heed to such warning...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Because when Flintoff and White are back there will be no need for him...
Who's to say White will return when fit?

At 33, he appears another prime candidate to be removed.

Also, McGrath has been picked as a batsman who bowls, not an all-rounder. How many times do I have to say that?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Who's to say White will return when fit?

At 33, he appears another prime candidate to be removed.

Also, McGrath has been picked as a batsman who bowls, not an all-rounder. How many times do I have to say that?
I didn't say he was an all-rounder.

White removed for McGrath? Oh yes, what a move. Because he's 33? Since when has age been a problem? He was our best bowler in Australia anyway. Is that your reason I see flying off into the sunset? It might just be.

Also sorry but why do we need a batsman who bowls? We've already got Butcher and Vaughan. An attack could include 3 pacers and Giles, an all-rounder in Flintoff and then Butcher and Vaughan. There is no need for another bowler unless you want to give a batsman a few overs when a game is drifting to a draw. If more than half of the side bowls then why pick someone who bowls a bit over a superior batsman? Since your so hell bent on getting rid of 33 year olds on the grounds of age shall I suggest Troughton, or is he too inexperianced for you?

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik, for goodness sake live with it. McGrath's in - and I for one hope he gets a decent run in the side and does well.

Just occasionally, the selectors get things right when the 'see' something in a player who perhaps hasn't performed consistently at one level, then they step up and (almost) over-achieve.

Remember when people were surprised at Trescothick? Or Vaughan? Or Hussa - forget I said that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
I didn't say he was an all-rounder.
But you said that when Flintoff and White got back he'd be dropped, and he's not competing with them for a place.

Rik said:
White removed for McGrath? Oh yes, what a move. Because he's 33? Since when has age been a problem? He was our best bowler in Australia anyway. Is that your reason I see flying off into the sunset? It might just be.[/B]
We're now talking about the one day squad, and at 33 now, he'll be 37 in 2007 - Now, with someone who's as injury prone as he is, can you see him still being around in 4 years time?

Age is not a problem at Test Level, but there's no point in selecting him for one dayers.

Rik said:
Also sorry but why do we need a batsman who bowls? We've already got Butcher and Vaughan. [/B]
Butcher is always in a lot of pain after bowling, and doesn't like doing it.

McGrath isn't, and does.

Rik said:
Since your so hell bent on getting rid of 33 year olds on the grounds of age shall I suggest Troughton, or is he too inexperianced for you? [/B]
Isn't Troughton in the squad?

Anna

Well at least Johnno's getting a long awaited run-out with the England test squad :)

Bazza

International 12th Man
Unfortunately he's not as good as Harmison so by the time South Africa arrive he will be out on his ear for Caddick or Hoggard...

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who will miss out?

Bazza, You reckon Johnson will miss out but surely if he's fit he won't be dropped now?

The fast bowling options is all fit are:

Johnson
Harmison
Caddick
Gough
Hoggard
Anderson

I personally would like to see Johnson, Anderson, Harmison and Caddick. I am not a huge fan of Hoggard and I think people are a little rose-tinted about Gough. He has a fabulous record but we have strong, younger fast bowlers now we should be encouraging. There can't be room for Gough and Caddick and I think Caddick offers variety with his sharp bounce while Johnson and Anderson can swing the ball like Gough.