• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Cricket is instituted into the Olympics will England and West Indies Participate?

cricman

International 12th Man
Premature Thread but I think ICC may try push the Cricket into the London Games Just because of Proper Faculties and their would be less risk of Failure because of it's popularity in England and even though Australia vs India in Rio Di Janeiro or Madrid fits into ICC's Grand Scheme their is a High Risk of Failure and Because of that I think the ICC is going to Try to Globalize the game by having them played in London, For an Average Viewer and someone watching cricket for the 1st Time on Television it's alot more appealing Seeing huge crowds and a great atmosphere rather than seeing something like a Lahore Test Match

Now How Would the ICC and IOC deal with Great Britain vs England, Scotland and Wales Entities and the West Indies falls into the Same Category

I'm sure there would be outrage if the Host Nation didn't even participate

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't think we bothered with the Commonwealth Games when cricket was included the once (98?) & we actually compete as "England" in that, so doubt it myself.

Think the Windies' nations competed separately too.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
The reason we dont put a GB team in football is that Scotland / Wales etc will be worried that FIFA will want a GB team full time and they will lose their status within FIFA. In cricket theres no chance of that happening as England is effectively the GB team anyway. FIFA have always disliked the fact we have 4 seperate Associations within the organisation and there are some people within FIFA who would just want to minimise them into 1.

Theres talk in 2012 of a GB team for London with just English players as a one off. Scotland / Wales / N.I will refuse to send players if that happens though.

West Indies on the other hand wouldnt be able to compete. As each Island pretty much competes on its own in the Olympics. Although i think a few of the Islands compete together under one flag, theres just no way to have a W.I team, unless they all played under 1 of the bigger Islands which wouldnt happen. Unless all the Islands unified under the W.I flag for all events, which is even less likely to happen :) Although would make the parade at the opening ceremony go a bit faster!

Last edited:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Don't think we bothered with the Commonwealth Games when cricket was included the once (98?) & we actually compete as "England" in that, so doubt it myself.

Think the Windies' nations competed separately too.
They did - Curtly Ambrose, for instance, represented Antigua.

pskov

International 12th Man
I'm sure they will in 2012. The host nation gets a team in every event, doesn't it?
There will be a GB team in the football in 2012, that is certain. The only question is whether Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland join in or if it is just an England side playing under the GB flag. At the moment it is looking like the latter.

As already stated, for Cricket it wouldn't be a problem. Only possible thing i could see would be Northern Irish who play for the Ireland that competes in cricket. In the olympics they would have to compete for GB unless they took RoI citizenship, which would be unlikely to happen to say the least! the West Indies would of course compete as separate islands, but in a Twenty20 tournament I could definitely see the bigger islands such as T&T and Barbados doing reasonably well, possibly even medalling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, England&Wales having a cricket team as "Great Britain" which included a Scottish player would be the best thing for the game on this island.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
it would be great if it did happen - even if only to give the Associates another qualifying tournament. It would certainly mean that governments of these teams would start investing more in cricket which can only be a good thing.

I reckon several of the West Indian nations would send teams and in 20-20 could do quite well.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
In which case, as far as I'm concerned the Welsh and Scots can get their own bloody Olympics
They might as well. Don't get any respect as members of GB anyway. As shown by the commentary when David Florence competed yesterday: "...a Scot through and through, but of course competing for Great Britain." That's because Scotland is in Great Britain, numnuts. I actually had to fill a form in the other week which had one of those ethnic background things, the top two options were "White - British" and "White - Scottish." Last time I checked, if you were the latter your were also the former. Unless England quietly cut ties with Scotland while I wasn't looking.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
One more thing?? Why cricket cannot be included in Olympics??......atleast India would have ensured one medal:) ...............Is it because only few nations practice it??

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They might as well. Don't get any respect as members of GB anyway. As shown by the commentary when David Florence competed yesterday: "...a Scot through and through, but of course competing for Great Britain." That's because Scotland is in Great Britain, numnuts. I actually had to fill a form in the other week which had one of those ethnic background things, the top two options were "White - British" and "White - Scottish." Last time I checked, if you were the latter your were also the former. Unless England quietly cut ties with Scotland while I wasn't looking.
When that guy told you to look the other way, it wasn't so he could steal one of your chips

Surely those options are just pandering to Scottish nationalists? We'll probably see "White - Cornish" on there in time