• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashok Mankad RIP

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I thought there was an obiturary thread somewhere to mark the passing of cricketers who weren't greats but are nonetheless worthy of remembering but I can't find it. (If there isn't one there maybe should be.)

Ashok Mankad RIP

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arun Lal was talking about him on commentary yesterday, from the sounds of it was a great character and very popular. RIP.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This comes as a complete shock. I was lucky enough to meet the man and spend time with him talking about cricket just a few years back. Mumbai had come to play Bengal and he was the Mumbai coach. He was kind enough to spend time with me talking about the game that splendid day at the Eden. He was a genuinely nice man from whatever I came to know of him. He was also regarded as some one who possessed one of the best 'minds on the game' in India. Will be deeply missed.

RIP.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought there was an obiturary thread somewhere to mark the passing of cricketers who weren't greats but are nonetheless worthy of remembering but I can't find it. (If there isn't one there maybe should be.)

Ashok Mankad RIP
Interesting piece - being the subject of that sort of selectorial policy combined with the long shadow his father's achievements must have cast over him makes you realise why Liam Botham opted out of the game

The very occasional death of someone I remember watching at their peak is sadly becoming a rather more frequent reminder of my own mortality nowadays - I wish it could stop happening

RIP

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard of this early in the morning on radio. He's been spoken of as one of the greatest captains Mumbai has had, and a good manager of all the teams he's managed. He was once coach of India, when he goaded Vinod Kambli to open the innings against a raging Pakistani attack. That innings wasn't very great, but it changed Kambli's career for a long time. Then there was that match where he coached Baroda. In this match, the UP bowlers were running through Baroda's top order, then Irfan volunteered to bat higher up. Mankad let him walk out to the middle. He stood by Irfan when he was sent back from South Africa. His statistics may be unflattering, but he was one of the more intelligent cricketers of that time, and one of the better cricket managers, surely. A lot has been said of Mankad since then, and it all makes sense. Will surely be missed- no doubt in his sleep, but 61 is still no age.

Spinksy

Banned
To be honest I have no idea who he was either but Rest.In.Peace Ashok Mankad, such a shame that he died at 61, noone deserves to die that young in my opinion. Anyway, Rest.In.Peace buddy.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited: