• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My take on Mitchell Johnson

Julian87

State Captain
One-season wonders > no-season wonders then?
One and a half season wonders > no season wonders yes :p

There aren't really any other options. And Noffke's just as much a one year wonder as Bollinger. I also think Clark and Noffke would offer too little on a flat deck if Australia were to play only three quicks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF, not only had Noffke done well in 2006/07 as well as 2007/08, but his previous record was much better than Bollinger's anyway. IIRR, Bollinger averaged 40 before 2007/08.

I've become increasingly convinced by Noffke in recent times TBH, think he could do a decent job.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
And you've barely watched him. :p

One of my favourite players and desperately hope he starts in India if Bracken doesn't.

pup11

International Coach
Well, here is my take on Mitchell Johnson.

He is a bowler with potential. He has it all in front of him and needs to take some time to hang around the Australian Cricket team, without playing or being 12th man. He needs to play a couple of seasons in Pura Cup and work on getting his line right. He bowls wide of off stump, where a batsmen can easily cover drive or cut him. He also drifts onto your legs way to much, which any Test Match class batsmen can just flick him away, and score easy runs. The only time he looks remotely dangerous to me is when he is getting the ball to tail in late, which he is not getting to work very often. What are your thoughts on him and how Australia should handle him, as I think he is a potential bowler of the future?
Completly agree with this, he has a very good example in Brett lee to learn from, Lee spent a lot of time on the sidelines and with the time improved into the teriffic bowler that he is today, with Casson also a part of the Australian bowling line-up now, Australia can't afford a wayward and one-dimensional bowler like Johnson in their line-up.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The issue is that Johnson has started using a lower bowling arm which is compromising his accuracy and bounce in a lame attempt to swing the ball back into the right hander. Wasim Akram, speaking during the Australia series, noted that this was the wrong way to try to swing the ball and that swing comes from the wrist. My opinion is that he is simply not 'wippy' enough in the bowling action to have a low bowling arm or extract any prodigious swing either way.
Shades of McGrath being told he had to bowl outswing to be a success at test level. Resulted in him bowling crap v England in 94-95 before settling on what eventually made him great.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Completly agree with this, he has a very good example in Brett lee to learn from, Lee spent a lot of time on the sidelines and with the time improved into the teriffic bowler that he is today, with Casson also a part of the Australian bowling line-up now, Australia can't afford a wayward and one-dimensional bowler like Johnson in their line-up.
You cannont compare lee with johnson,lee always had express pace johnson is not express and lee swung the ball and his problem was he gave a four ball every over in test
and as he gained control he has become a very good bowler.

coming to johnson he is no swing bowler and is really a seam bowler,so unless the pitch is seaming he will not be able to bring the ball back in to the batsman,on flat decks
he will have to bowl wide and tempt the batsman ,thats a huge problem for a leftarmer
as most batsman are right handed and he is 26/27 and i cannot see him just swinging the ball so he will in my opinion be a very good odi bowler but in tests he will struggle.

pup11

International Coach
You cannont compare lee with johnson,lee always had express pace johnson is not express and lee swung the ball and his problem was he gave a four ball every over in test
and as he gained control he has become a very good bowler.

coming to johnson he is no swing bowler and is really a seam bowler,so unless the pitch is seaming he will not be able to bring the ball back in to the batsman,on flat decks
he will have to bowl wide and tempt the batsman ,thats a huge problem for a leftarmer
as most batsman are right handed and he is 26/27 and i cannot see him just swinging the ball so he will in my opinion be a very good odi bowler but in tests he will struggle.
Its not as if Johnson is not at all able to swing the ball, he did it very well in the Odi series in India, and he has also got the red ball to reverse too, but just like younger Lee, he also bowls only two lengths (too full or too short) atm, and to make matters worse his lines have also been all over of the place, Johnson is not as quick as Lee but he is still pretty sharp enough.
Johnson just needs to work on a few small things (technical problems) and sort them out, and test cricket is certainly not the place where he should sort these things out, so he should be made to play FC cricket where he can work on his bowling.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Its not as if Johnson is not at all able to swing the ball, he did it very well in the Odi series in India, and he has also got the red ball to reverse too, but just like younger Lee, he also bowls only two lengths (too full or too short) atm, and to make matters worse his lines have also been all over of the place, Johnson is not as quick as Lee but he is still pretty sharp enough.
Johnson just needs to work on a few small things (technical problems) and sort them out, and test cricket is certainly not the place where he should sort these things out, so he should be made to play FC cricket where he can work on his bowling.
he did not swing the ball in india,he can never swing it,
in india the ball seamed off the pitch not swing.{swing is in deviation in the air and seam after pitching}
his action is such he will never be able to swing it,he is more hit the deck bowler.
its not technical problems its talent.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
He swung it against india in Malaysia.
i do not like to repeat myself but some guys do not get it

johnson is a hit the deck bowler,the only times he has got the batsman
lbw has been the ball hitting the pitch and straighting {seaming} in to the pads
swing is in the air for my friends just look at some videos

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i do not like to repeat myself but some guys do not get it

johnson is a hit the deck bowler,the only times he has got the batsman
lbw has been the ball hitting the pitch and straighting {seaming} in to the pads
swing is in the air for my friends just look at some videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veOHL-BA_l0

The Uthappa looks pretty inswinger-ish to me, as do the last couple of dismissals.

Not saying he swings the ball a lot but he most certainly can swing it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any bowler can swing it, it's pretty stupid to say a bowler is incapable of swinging the ball. All it takes is the seam in the right position and a ball of the right length. And, obviously, the ball in the right position.

I've seen Makhaya Ntini swing the odd ball every now and then. If he can, Johnson certainly can.