• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MY APL proposal (IE Aussie IPL)

brockley

International Captain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Syndicate side from sydmey,melbourne,hobart adelaide,perth,canberra,bribsnae and auckland,each team privatly owned.
top 60 aussie players and top 20 kiwi players auctioned.
each syndicate team can have 3 overseas players plus if they have kiwis in their side.
The rest of the players will come from the states which will top up each squad,in the case of new zealand they would top up kiwi players out of their 20 and canberra would have past and present canberra players,including those playing in other states.
It would be held in october early november where their is no international cricket and would run 6 weeks,Their would be 8 syndicated sides.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Syndicate side from sydmey,melbourne,hobart adelaide,perth,canberra,bribsnae and auckland,each team privatly owned.
top 60 aussie players and top 20 kiwi players auctioned.
each syndicate team can have 3 overseas players plus if they have kiwis in their side.
The rest of the players will come from the states which will top up each squad,in the case of new zealand they would top up kiwi players out of their 20 and canberra would have past and present canberra players,including those playing in other states.
It would be held in october early november where their is no international cricket and would run 6 weeks,Their would be 8 syndicated sides.

Wouldn't be a patch on the IPL in terms of money made and offerred. Hence it wouldn't be workable.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unless tickets were $1 there is no way Australia could support a six week APL tournament. We don't have the population to support a six week tournament, nor do we have enough business owners willing to pay the players enough, as they won't get the returns.

A 2 week tournament may work, but doubt it would be long enough to attract the 'stars'.

brockley

International Captain
Of course its not the IPL
Workable yes.
We can split the kiwi, aussie players between 8 sides .
Each side would be privately owned.
Not as much money as the IPL but enough to make it a success even if its mostly aussies and kiwis playing.

brockley

International Captain
A 2 week tounament would leave it in its present form probably 6 sides,no overseas players no money no tv coverage it would remain virtually unchanged,and still played in january without the test stars.
I thought CA wanted to make it into something.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Of course its not the IPL
Workable yes.
We can split the kiwi, aussie players between 8 sides .
Each side would be privately owned.
Not as much money as the IPL but enough to make it a success even if its mostly aussies and kiwis playing.
Who'd go though?

People aren't going to go the 'Gabba to see a game unless QLD or Australia are playing or unless each team has a majority of overseas players. Unless the ticket prices are really cheap (and Australian grounds don't like to give out cheap tickets) say at $10 nobody's going to go many times in the space of 6 weeks.

What we have now in the domestic competition is about right. 5 one day games over 3-4 months and 2 or 3 20/20 games over 2-3 weeks. A 20/20 league over several weeks is just not going to work.

brockley

International Captain
I m just mirroring cricket australia suggestions they are the ones talking about sydnicately own sides,a kiwi side a canberra side,overseas players,a copy of the IPL in other words etc etc
Nothing i have said is hardly new,just added a few things to it,to make it my own :)

LA ICE-E

State Captain
If an EPL can work why can't an APL? Plus the thing said about who would go? the same question was said about the IPL who was city based games. Plus Isn't Australia and England 1st world countries while India being a 3rd world one?

pasag

RTDAS
The ONLY reason the IPL worked was because they got all the superstars from the entire world plus all national players and put them in the same place. You do that and I'm sure an APL would work as well. Unless that happens people are going to be pretty disappointed. Otherwise how is it that different from the domestic competition which usually has poor crowds at best.

pasag

RTDAS
If an EPL can work why can't an APL? Plus the thing said about who would go? the same question was said about the IPL who was city based games. Plus Isn't Australia and England 1st world countries while India being a 3rd world one?
The only issue here is that India are cricket mad so you have a pretty open market, however in Australia we are fairly saturated with sport and major events (Melbourne for instance has on top of all the footy the Grand Prix, the Australian Open, The Melbourne Cup) it's really not a case of CA making whatever they want and the crowds will come. They won't. The product has to be damn good and even then...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think the tournament should be run like a travelling circus.

The 6 teams should be the 6 state sides.

And it works basically like this:
Each side plays each other twice.

You go to one of the states for example - QLD first.
Day 1) 3 games @ GABBA. so for instance: NSW vs TAS, VIC vs SA & QLD VS WA. [start time 11am, finish 9 or 10pm or so.
Day 2) 3 games again, so for instance: SA VS TAS, WA vs VIC & QLD vs NSW.
Note: Home state plays both matches at the prime time, so most likely the late game.

Tickets can be a special day pass rate at like $30 per adult.

This could happen on a Saturday and Sunday.

Then go to another venue a smaller venue such as Tasmania and play on the Wednesday and Thursday.

Then to another big venue such as MCG on Sat and Sunday and so on.

After the 5 venues are finished, you'll have a top 2 who could play a best of 3 final series at the venue which hasn't staged any of the group matches.

One match on the Friday night, the second match on the Saturday and the third if rqd on the Sunday.

This event would take 3 weeks to complete.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Good idea nufan but its really just doubling the 20/20 comp we already have.
Not the idea cricket australia was pushing and that was something big.
20/20 get big crowds mister in australia even state games.

Mister Wright

Reckon it would be better to have the state sides play with an invitational international team. Reckon that would have more drawing power and bring in more crowds.

brockley

International Captain
Probably new zealand,but don't we see them enough.
if the timing is in january means our rep players won't be available.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I definitely think its a good idea. I'm not sure if the population exists to support the IPL type salaries though. But if it does, they should definitely do it.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Is there any other franchise based sports in Australia? Why wouldn't it work? Ok so there other sports so? There's a lot of sports here too but baseball, football and basketball all works s plus hockey and soccers doing ok too.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good idea nufan but its really just doubling the 20/20 comp we already have.
Not the idea cricket australia was pushing and that was something big.
20/20 get big crowds mister in australia even state games.
Thanks. I dunno if it's really doubling the current comp exactly.

I'm pretty sure you'd get full houses at every single venue, and well basically my idea I think makes Twenty20 a decent event but not the sole focus on the domestic front.

It would be good if we had our International players and surely each state would have a few players people would like to see even South Australia with Younis Khan now!

I wouldn't have a big problem getting some marquee players, but I think no more than 2 per side.

Also Fox Sports would do fantastically well with the ratings, I can just picture myself having a few beers watching the triple header at home with mates.

Oh btw regarding the finals, if you think the state who gets the finals are being ripped off as just 1 game per night, you could have finals for 3rd vs 4th and 5th vs 6th too.

Last edited: