• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Champions League confirmed

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:huh: What on Earth has the Stanford competition got to do with the ICL? They're completely and totally different things. Stanford is attempting to help West Indies cricket (albeit I'm often wondering whether he doesn't think the money can be spent in better ways) whereas the ICL is purely a self-serving idea.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wrong

ICL contracts specifically release players for test and even domestic cricket.
They did? There wouldn't be much of a competition then, as there's no window in the cricket calender when there's nothing (Tests, ODIs, domestic cricket) of any sort on.
This is what is so ridiculously vindictive about the Bond situation - he wasnt going to miss any officially sanctioned matches and has only been banned because the Kiwis are a bunch of pea-hearts (who, btw, have left themselves liable for huge damages in doing so)
So NZC should have stuck their fingers up to the BCCI? Surefire way to ruin, that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When did the ICL take players away from cricket? As far as I know it would have been a similar system to the IPL one now that players would not have been expected to leave international duty for the league.
As I said to social, that'd mean there was pretty much no-one playing, as there's no point in the cricket calender when there's no Test, ODI or domestic cricket anywhere. I also find it incredibly odd that Zee's moghuls would make an effort to accomodate official cricket, as I don't see what they'd have to gain by doing that.
I have little sympathy for the ICL and you're 100% right that had the tables be turned it things could have been just the opposite, after all we're dealing with corporations here. However, that doesn't mean the players have to suffer like this, especially when the threat is over. And it is over, the ICL continues to leak money and the BCCI has made so much money and increased their power over international cricket from the IPL and it only looks like it's getting bigger and bigger. I think you're being pretty naive in saying the threat still remains, it doesn't. That's why I find their actions so infuriating.
I think if the ICL was continuing to leak money we'd have heard about it, even if not directly. For instance, after the first WSC season everyone knew (though Packer tried to hush it up) that money was haemorraging to the point of jeaopardising the business, and the competition only ended-up being saved because Neville Wran decided he was going to interfere. I see no evidence suggesting the ICL has been the complete failure you paint it as, simply because it wasn't the huge success the IPL was.

pasag

RTDAS
As I said to social, that'd mean there was pretty much no-one playing, as there's no point in the cricket calender when there's no Test, ODI or domestic cricket anywhere. I also find it incredibly odd that Zee's moghuls would make an effort to accomodate official cricket, as I don't see what they'd have to gain by doing that.
That's because in the two dimensional way you see things, they're out to destroy everything which explains your fear and paranoia in this issue, which isn't too far off the BCCI's. "Oh noes, they're out to get us, kill it and their friends and families". All signs indicated that the ICL wanted to work with the existing authorities and not impede existing cricket but as I said previously it doesn't really matter, the way the BCCI have acted towards the players, past players etc has been disgraceful. This is the sole point that is important here. The ICL has been a huge failure, I don't see how you can see otherwise, one minute it was supposed to be the next best thing in cricket, the next thing every player of note was trying to jump ship, realising they'd backed the wrong horse. Why do you think there has been no news on the finances of the ICL? Because they're covering it up, if it had made any money you'd hear about it in an instant. This is all besides the point that just because you have competition doesn't mean you have to crush the enemy and everyone in between. That's what we call anti-competitive practices. BCCI did a great job of winning on the product front, there was no need to decend into gutter tactics.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's because in the two dimensional way you see things...
No, it really is not. I can see the issue perfectly clearly. Either way, I can't really find any point discussing it further. I do not believe the ICL to be doing anything good for the game of cricket, and think the sooner it withers the better. Yes, some illicit practices are being used in some departments to attempt to achieve this, but I don't actually think much less (if anything) would have been lost had they not been employed and Zee been allowed to do its own thing with the ICL. Nor do I think stuff being done here is anything close to as bad as some of the stuff those acting as the BCCI have done in the past.

pasag

RTDAS
We certainly shouldn't stop criticising just because worse things have been done though or because they're not unexpected.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, and I didn't say we should. But I think the criticism should become more along the lines of "and as we expected" as we come to expect things. Not acting with the same indignation every single time, as if it was something new every time. Just feels odd TBH.

It's also annoying that some far worse stuff has received far less criticism than this. Or, at least, said criticism has reached my ears.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
ICL have always said they would release players for international duty. And I recall Shane Bond saying that too. It's just never happened, for obvious reasons.

ret

International Debutant
i guess, the 4 overseas players rule wont be in consideration in the champions league so may be the IPL teams have the option to play all their overseas players in the 11 in the champions league

pasag

RTDAS
Mukul Kesavan right on the money as always. It's a pity he stopped blogging for cricinfo.

V for Vendetta

An enormous, mural-like picture of Kapil Dev, side-on in his familiar pre-delivery leap, has been removed from the Punjab Cricket Association Stadium in Mohali. When asked about its abrupt disappearance, the secretary of that association disingenuously explained that it hadn't been removed for good: the association was merely looking for a new place for it. Everyone else drew the obvious conclusion: the removal of the giant image was the latest in a series of steps taken by the BCCI to punish Kapil Dev for having joined the Zee-sponsored Indian Cricket League as chairman. More generally it was part of the BCCI's bid to outlaw the ICL and its personnel, and to cut them off from the structures of competitive cricket sanctioned by the ICC and operated by its affiliate boards.

Thus, a young player like Ambati Rayudu, 22, one of Hyderabad's brightest first-class batting prospects, faces a lifetime in the cricketing wilderness, barred from playing any form of recognised cricket because he signed up with the ICL team Hyderabad Heroes.

The BCCI and the ICC run a cricketing monopoly, which has been challenged twice - first by Kerry Packer and Channel 9, then by India's Kerry Packer wannabe, Subhash Chandra and his Zee network. The first time round, Packer's rebels created a parallel "circus" and staged "Test" matches that entertained Packer's television audiences but never counted for anything in Wisden or cricket's statistical record. Packer's pirates were banned from officially sanctioned cricket, but eventually when Packer and cricket's establishment settled their dispute his mercenaries went back to playing Test and first-class cricket. Pakistan's Packer stars - Imran Khan, Majid Khan, Mushtaq Mohammad, Zaheer Abbas - returned to help their Test team destroy Bishan Bedi's men during the 1978-79 tour of Pakistan that marked the resumption of cricket between the two countries. Kapil Dev debuted on that tour.

A monopoly of any kind will guard its turf jealously, so the BCCI's behaviour should come as no surprise. At some stage an Australian or New Zealand player contracted to the ICL will challenge his disbarment from his home country's cricket, and the courts will have to decide if this ICC-sanctioned ostracism has the force of law. If it can be shown that it constitutes an infringement of a person's right to livelihood, or a restraint on trade, men like Rayudu will find a way back into the mainstream of cricket. Or else it's possible that once the ICL experiment is snuffed out, the BCCI might magnanimously let these black sheep return to its fold.

However this is resolved, what should worry the game's followers is that at the very moment Indian cricket embraced entrepreneurial capitalism in the form of franchised Twenty20 cricket, its apex body dusted off a Stalinist bag of tricks to hunt down Right Revisionists and Left Adventurists and running dogs and, indeed, anyone who didn't fall into line. I have no great fondness for Kapil Dev in his post-retirement avatar; his tears on television some years ago, his posturing about the unfairness of the press, and his attempt to spin his ICL tenure as a form of cricketing social service, left me unmoved. But there's something truly creepy about the BCCI's attempt to unperson him and his ICL colleagues.

In Milan Kundera's great novel The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, a party boss borrows a subordinate's hat to keep his head warm during a group photograph. Soon after the photo is taken, the subordinate falls out of favour, and is eliminated from both life and public memory. He is neatly airbrushed out of the group photograph. But, and this is the point that the BCCI should attend to, erasing a person from history is hard; there's always something he leaves behind. In the case of the lowly party official, it was his hat.

Unfortunately for Indian cricket's politburo, Kapil Dev isn't an anonymous apparatchik (as most BCCI members are); he is, arguably, the greatest cricketer India has ever produced, and the "hat" he left behind is inconveniently conspicuous: it is the World Cup he won for India in 1983. So even if the BCCI succeeds in its attempt to remove Kapil Dev from contemporary cricket, scrubbing him from public memory is likely to be harder.

But you have to admire the BCCI for trying. Its leaders are ambitious men with formidable organisational skills, not to be put off by mere reputation. The BCCI did its best not to commemorate the silver jubilee of the World Cup victory because the drama of such a commemoration would have been hard to carry off without giving the winning team's skipper a speaking role. Finally, when Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev both made it clear that the celebrations would go on with or without the Indian cricket establishment, the board was shamed into agreeing to participate, since it didn't want to come across as a bunch of vindictive little men.

The most revealing aspect of the BCCI's vendetta against the ICL's recruits was its decision to cut off the pensions awarded to ex-cricketers for their services to first-class and international cricket. Kapil Dev can probably afford to do without an annuity, but that isn't the point. If these pensions were granted in recognition of past service, to cut them off on account of contemporary quarrels is a monstrous thing to do. The revocation of the pension is both material punishment and metaphorical erasure: it's like saying, "We, the board, have decided that your career, your service to cricket, your achievements, count for nothing in themselves unless they're recognised by Us, because it is Our recognition that legitimises your past and your present, that makes it visible." Thus pensions aren't benefits that cricketers have earned, they are stipends granted by the BCCI, Indian cricket's chief patron, which can be revoked on a whim.

On an online discussion group called Cricket Forum, one comment took the BCCI's campaign to its logical conclusion: "BCCI should pass a resolution that retro-actively strips Kapil Dev of the captainship of [sic] Indian team - including the 1983 WC winning team. That BCCI can then say - Kapil Dev was never captain of India. That should make [the] BCCI feel very good."

In practising this seemingly paradoxical combination of Stalinist politics and free-market capitalism, the BCCI is doing no more than following the example of a neighbouring organisation, the CPC, or the Communist Party of China. The BCCI ought to revise the titles it gives its panjandrums to reflect this correspondence. Mr Pawar could stop being president of the BCCI, and become its Chairman. And Mr Modi, plainly diminished by his current description as Commissioner, IPL, could be known, as he so richly deserves to be, as its Commissar.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree with most of that article, especially their treatment of Kapil Dev. The pension thing should be challenged in the courts.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It is interesting to see some of the comments regarding the ICL in this thread. There is sence that people expected too much from the ICL. A lot of it was brought on by themselves when they claimed they were the new world order and next big thing. Coming out all guns blazing was probably not the best idea. But if you look at what they have done since the first edition, they have established themselves. Granted the establishment is at a lower level then what they orginally wanted.

There is place for ICL in world cricket and Indian cricket. You just have to look at how many ICL players are playing in county cricket and fact that their already a couple domestic sides who had their squads cut in half by the ICL. Not everyone is going to be good enough to get contracts in the IPL and ICL provides another alternative.

End of day, if the ICL fails, there is likely to be similar tournments pop up around the world. The days of Stanford Twenty20 tournment being purely West Indies base are likely to be numbered. Personally I think he went the wrong way around with his match against England and an All Star side. He should have just expanded his own tournment in the West Indies to include overseas players. But the Americans do love their All Star matches, wont work in cricket but he will find out.

The PCB is already actively looking at their own option. A lot of that has to do with the IPL's success. But they were thinking about it prior due to the exdous of fringe and back up players to ICL and with more likely to follow Inzi and co.

The ICL has made an impact, maybe not on the playing field, but their has been a massive follow on effect.

brockley

International Captain
20/20 is now big ICL has found its niche,its own league, 24 players in county cricket<a pakistan team and next season an english team,Dean jones is now in england sorting it.
Oh words by modi seems the championship is now in controvercy.
Modi has been the hard-liner in the Indian board's fight against the rebel rival league, the Indian Cricket League.

"He has said that any English county which fields players from the ICL will be banned from taking part in the highly lucrative Champions League, which is due to be launched this autumn - and 15 of the 18 first-class counties have an ICL player on their staff.

Only on Friday he said that even if counties dropped their ICL players they would still be disqualified.

'Exciting times'
The two counties which finish as winners and runners-up of the English Twenty20 competition will qualify for the eight-team competition, also involving the top two domestic teams from Australia, India and South Africa.

The prize for the winners has been announced as $5 million, which is far in excess of any previous prize in English cricket.

Read the latest from Scyld Berry

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree with most of that article, especially their treatment of Kapil Dev. The pension thing should be challenged in the courts.
Hang on, let me get this straight - all ex-Indian cricketers, ICL employees or not, have been stripped of "pensions"? :huh:

(I put pensions in speechmarks as, as Mukhul points-out, they're nothing of the sort as the BCCI is free to withdraw them at any time)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Hang on, let me get this straight - all ex-Indian cricketers, ICL employees or not, have been stripped of "pensions"? :huh:

(I put pensions in speechmarks as, as Mukhul points-out, they're nothing of the sort as the BCCI is free to withdraw them at any time)
From what I understood, all ex-cricketers that have a role in the ICL.

GGG

State Captain
ICL have always said they would release players for international duty. And I recall Shane Bond saying that too. It's just never happened, for obvious reasons.
Exactly, Bond is available for New Zealand, its the BCCI that is stopping him from playing. Even before he signed NZ cricket she he would still play for NZ until the indian mafia said no.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly, Bond is available for New Zealand, its the BCCI that is stopping him from playing. Even before he signed NZ cricket she he would still play for NZ until the indian mafia said no.
http://www.financialexpress.com/news/NZ-Cricket-terminates-contract-of-Shane-Bond/266228/

Shane Bond = Man of Honor

NZC/BCCI are the opposite

It's incredibly lucky for NZC that Bond has the game's best interest at heart in his homeland because he could severely dent NZC's financial position by taking them to court

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
NZC had initially allowed Bond to play in the ICL provided it did not clash with his national commitments, after which the player signed a contract with the league organizers last year.

But at the ICC Executive Board meeting in October last year, member countries were warned against allowing their players to take part in the league which did not have the seal of approval either from BCCI or the ICC.

Finding no other way out of the impasse, NZC finally decided to terminate Bond's contract, a move that would leave their pace attack severely depleted.
Complete opposite of what I had thought happened.