• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussies win matches but lose friends

Legglancer

State Regular
Maybe this is overkill but since this is such a interesting topic ... here's another good one, And I promise it will be the last.

Australian team's behaviour criticised in home media

SYDNEY, Wednesday (Reuters) - Australia's cricketers have
been labelled bad sports for their unruly behaviour in Tuesday's
fourth test loss to West Indies.

While much credit was given to the host's world record run-chase
of 418, the Australian media focussed on the row between Glenn
McGrath and Ramnaresh Sarwan. The Sydney Morning Herald's
cricket writer Peter Roebuck said the verbal exchange and
McGrath's finger-pointing had sullied the match and the game's
image.

"Regardless of the result, the Australians have done nothing to
enhance their reputations as sportsmen," Roebuck wrote in
Wednesday's paper.

"If victory cannot be achieved without recourse to the sort of
antagonism seen in Antigua then it is not worth bothering about.

"Cricket searched for a champion team and found only an
unscrupulous aggressor." Roebuck's sentiments were echoed by
The Australian's columnist Patrick Smith who said the incident
was an embarrassment to Australian officials at a time when they
have promised to clean up the game.

"The line between belligerence and hostility is a fine one ...
Australian cricket has been at fault for allowing their players to
hang about the line for so long.

"Australian administrators have tolerated their cricketers'
boorishness because they have been the dominant team
throughout the world and success generates interest and income."

Sydney's Daily Telegraph columnist Mike Gibson criticised match
referee Mike Proctor for not taking stronger action against
McGrath when he began waving his finger at umpire David
Shepherd.

Under the headline "Aussies are out of control", Gibson wrote:
"Instead of making McGrath aware that his behaviour was
unacceptable and would not be tolerated, he allowed the umpire
to be humiliated by a player who had lost control.

"The lily-livered reaction of those in charge has made a laughing
stock of the game.":) :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Legglancer said:
Personally I feel that the aussies have to be complemented on their incredible cricketing ability and talent. Truely they have singlehandedly taken the game to a new level.

That having been said one has to acknowledge that sadly the aussies have largely contributed to bringing the game to disrepute and shame. Similar to some of the views reflected before I do not feel their is anything wrong with the odd sarcastic comment or a disparaging remark as to a players cricketing ability/style or lack of it as long as its done in MODERATION.

What cannot be tolarated is the Ignorant vulgar/racist comments that bring the game to ridicule.
Agreed

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think the aussies need a few characters, they are awesome cricketers, but there is a certain drabness about them, they are too clinical i suppose..

I cant get over McGrath saying that calling Smith a **** and saying he is going to ******* kill him is part of the game... Sheesh get a grip, i cant find any of that in any coaching manual..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
I cant get over McGrath saying that calling Smith a **** and saying he is going to ******* kill him is part of the game... Sheesh get a grip, i cant find any of that in any coaching manual..
As far as I know, this too is alleged ...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Topic beginning to die the slow death.

Sarwan and McGrath really do like each other.

Coming soon - Are international cricketers becoming too friendly with members of the opposition?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Yes a lot of it is alleged and that's why ICC should step in and investigate them and punish the guilty if there is one and do it on a consistent basis.

Legglancer

State Regular
aussie_beater said:
Yes a lot of it is alleged and that's why ICC should step in and investigate them and punish the guilty if there is one and do it on a consistent basis.

"Consistent" being the key word !

Mr Mxyzptlk

luckyeddie said:
Coming soon - Are international cricketers becoming too friendly with members of the opposition?
It may just be rumour, but I heard that sometimes they even get together and play a game of cricket.:)

krkode

State Captain
luckyeddie said:
Preview of my answer: I think no amount of friendship is "too friendly." Afterall, it's not war or anything.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
It is a fact that sledging is now just part of the game. Anyone that says that our team doesn't do it is deluding themselves. Same goes for a lot of us who are sitting in our lounge rooms going tut tut oh what naughty boys. If they can't stand the heat get them out of the kitchen.

That said the Australians have shown in the last week that they can't take it when it is dished back up to them. That is probably the saddest indictment on them. This week they faced a side that played hard and gave as good as they got. The Aussies faltered as a result. And before anyone says that this is bringing the game down to a new low, I'll say that this is a professional sport. There is a lot of money involved and playing with a bit of passion is good for the game.

The extreme incidents need to be punished. Lehmann got his just desserts. Slater should also have been punished at the time. The charge of bringing the game into disrepute should be put onto players in such incidents. McGrath should have been punished under this charge. I have seen an alleged transcript of teh McGrath-Sarwan incident and the Sarwan comeback was classic. McGrath should have taken it on the chin.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
Take the Dravid-Slater incident; fielder claims a catch, catch reversed and hell seems to break loose. Slater appears like he's abusing not just the umpire but Dravid too, yet there was no report made. Why? The footage looked bad yet the umpire, who bore the brunt of what Slater said more than Dravid, didn't see fit to report Slater. Could it be that what he was actually saying wasn't actually that bad? Who knows.
Doesn't matter what Slater said.That he was acting wild in the field and had lost all control, he should have been reported.As to why the umpires didn't report it, no one knows.Maybe they didn't want to get embroiled into a controversy which may affect their umpiring career.... we will never know.But that's not the point.With today's technology, its pretty much obvious who is behaving badly in the field and who is not and there should be guidelines about what is acceptable and what is not and actions need to be taken to stop any untoward incidents.

I'm torn on this one. Incidents like the McGrath-Sarwan altercation 'look' bad but they also put the firecrackers into a game. It made the game have that much more hinging on it; not just the result but the pride of the players involved. It made pretty compelling viewing.

That's not how the game got its popularity and its only going to ruin the game.Look at Ice Hockey....its on the decline in the US because it has degenerated into a sort of WWF competition.No prime time channel is willing to cater to NHL because the audience isn't there.

And for those who seem to think the WI team of the 70's and 80's merely played hard, well you guys have either never seen them play or have VERY short memories.
I grew up on a staple diet of cricket in the 80s and that was the decade of the Windies.Sure there was the odd cases of a Michael Holding kicking stumps in NZ, but they were very few.They used to intimidate by their sheer presence and hostile bowling which is very much ok.

But I bet if each of you looked deep down inside of yourselves, a lot of you would have to acknowledge that the sledging keeps you watching the game. It's the same part of human nature that makes us watch Jerry Springer:
I always felt as to who are the people who watch Jerry Springer.I am not one of them and IMO the show stinks.

If sledging were totally eliminated, you'd be eliminating the passion out of the game. Cricket as game which used to be played by English gentlement in village fields would be better but as a spectacle, would be all the poorer.
No one is saying that we have to go back to what the English say as gentleman's game.Its a competitive sport and will have passion associated with it but it should never become so hot that it creates personal feuds and vendetta.That is what can happen if things get personal outside the realm of cricket like ***ual taunts referring to someone's wife or girlfriend and such.Ganguly in the 2001 series was constantly niggled by McGrath about his affair with that Indian film actress Nagma.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The Argonaut said:
I have seen an alleged transcript of teh McGrath-Sarwan incident and the Sarwan comeback was classic. McGrath should have taken it on the chin.
Care to share it with us?

krkode

State Captain
If sledging were totally eliminated, you'd be eliminating the passion out of the game. Cricket as game which used to be played by English gentlement in village fields would be better but as a spectacle, would be all the poorer.
There are more ways to show passion than mouthing off. If people want to see passionate pouting, and personnal attacks, there's always wrestling.:saint:

Mr Mxyzptlk

The symbolism of McGrath tongue-lashing Sarwan while simultaneously wearing a black armband to mourn the death of Ernie Toshack, a member of the 1948 Invincibles, was particularly poignant. At Mumbai two years ago Michael Slater was wearing a black armband for that other Invincible, Don Bradman, when he harangued Rahul Dravid over a disputed catch. On both occasions you could almost hear the 17 members of that 1948 side, dead and alive, rising in unison. You might be the best Australian team ever, they were saying, but we were better sportsmen.
A quote from Chris Ryan's Wisden Analysis.

The Full Article

Me thinks he writes much sense. The irony of the black armbands had eluded me up until now.

St-KriS

Cricket Spectator
The Argonaut said:
I have seen an alleged transcript of teh McGrath-Sarwan incident and the Sarwan comeback was classic. McGrath should have taken it on the chin.
Post a link to it or whatever. Would make for some interesting reading.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
krkode said:
Well, there's really nothing we can do about them. They are not dependant on the ICC or their regional Boards of Cricket for their daily bread nor are the eyes of millions of fans and thousands of reporters on them.
So now you are defending one form of abuse while another is horrible! Here is a thing I know of...

Soccer - if a crowd behaves badly the governing body, gives a warning and then BAM a game of soccer without a crowd!

Could it happen in Cricket?

Mr Mxyzptlk

The spectators are what make cricket cricket. It provides the initial and responsive atmosphere by charging it with a mist of excitement and celebration. As I said before, without a crowd, there would be no cricket. Fans make the game. The problem is that there are too many fanatics and less fans at the cricket these days.

Re: Krkode's comment: he was obviously not defending the crowd behaviour. What he was saying was that it doesn't enter the issue of sledging and such on-field abuse because in reality, it cannot be controlled whereas in cricket, there are governing bodies in place to instill a discipline and respect into the game.

krkode

State Captain
Paid The Umpire said:
So now you are defending one form of abuse while another is horrible! Here is a thing I know of...

Soccer - if a crowd behaves badly the governing body, gives a warning and then BAM a game of soccer without a crowd!

Could it happen in Cricket?
I wasn't really defending the crowd that is unruly.

I was more asking the proposer what he thought we or the ICC, cricket's governing body, could do about them. Make cricket a no crowd sport? Sure, I don't mind, I watch my cricket on TV anyway, but it'll sure as hec cut a lot of revenue for those that care.

I don't support unruly crowds, infact, I loathe them. I am 100% for any effort to put an end to it. If it means no crowd, sure. I really don't care.

Thanks, Mr. M (may I call you that?) :P

V Reddy

International Debutant
Here is one report of Fox Sports. Great reply by Sarwan

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,6431727-26099,00.html

McGrath fires first taunt
By Andrew Ramsey
May 14, 2003

AN ANGRY spat between Glenn McGrath and West Indies vice-captain Ramnaresh Sarwan, which was the most heated exchange of an already-fiery Test, was instigated by the Australian paceman.

While close-up television footage suggested an incensed McGrath angrily confronted Sarwan after the West Indian made comments about McGrath's wife, team sources revealed Sarwan had simply made an ill-judged response to a taunt from McGrath.

The Australian immediately complained about Sarwan's remarks to veteran English umpire David Shepherd, but match referee Mike Proctor confirmed no reports had been laid.

McGrath declined to comment on the clash after the fourth's day play in Antigua, although it is understood he cooled down shortly after the altercation and was left feeling sheepish about the ferocity of his outburst.

The team sources suggested McGrath asked Sarwan a crass question, alluding to the ***ual activity of the vice-captain.

Sarwan responded by saying McGrath should ask his own wife for the answer.

McGrath then charged at Sarwan and let fly with a string of expletives.

Sarwan, who helped set his team up for an unlikely shot at victory on the final day with a memorable 105, conveniently claimed he could not recall what was said to spark McGrath's reaction but admitted the incident did not reflect well on either party.

"It did (get heated). I thought things went a bit overboard but I prefer to leave it on the field," Sarwan said.

The incident occurred as the West Indies – led by Sarwan and an equally stunning century from Shivnarine Chanderpaul – built some serious momentum in their record last-innings run chase of 418 for victory.

Before the main clash, the pair traded barbs four overs earlier when McGrath felt Sarwan ran into his path as the 22-year-old from Guyana completed a single.

As Sarwan and Chanderpaul continued to blaze shots all over the Antigua Recreation Ground in the post-tea session, McGrath completed an over and aimed the crude barb at the new vice-captain.

But when Sarwan shot back with his retort, McGrath (whose wife Jane was recently diagnosed with secondary cancer in the hip) flew off the handle.

It is understood Sarwan – who has forged a friendship with a number of Australian players and dined with several (including McGrath) at the teams' hotel several nights earlier – meant no personal slight against Jane McGrath by his off-hand comeback.

The fact no resentment was felt towards him by the Australian team was illustrated when – on reaching his century – Sarwan's hand was shaken by opponents Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden. He was also congratulated by rival skipper Steve Waugh when dismissed shortly after.

The Australians are impressed by the competitive and combative manner in which Sarwan plays.

But the run-in with McGrath coupled with the heroics of Brian Lara – who crashed Stuart MacGill for three straight sixes and was clean bowled attempting a fourth – and the blazing 123-run stand between Sarwan and Chanderpaul, had the local fans in a lather.

That transformed into a rage when Sarwan – out attempting a pull shot against the second new ball – and the West Indies' only Antiguan Ridley Jacobs were dismissed by consecutive balls by Brett Lee.

It was Shepherd's poor decision to give Jacobs out caught off a ball which clearly struck him flush on the elbow and ballooned behind the wicket which prompted the packed crowd to shower sections of the ground with glass and plastic bottles.

Amid scenes all too familiar to the Australians, the game was stopped for five minutes as police moved in and around 50 bottles – including several 750 ml wine and spirits bottles – were removed and the perimeter area rendered safe.

The sale and possession of glass bottles among spectators is strictly forbidden under the International Cricket Council's conditions for staging international matches.

But those conditions are routinely flouted at many Caribbean venues and Australian Cricketers Association boss Tim May yesterday sent an urgent memo to West Indian officials demanding security be upgraded for the remainder of the tour.

The blatant umpiring error and resultant backlash may also convince the ICC as to the value in extending the role of the third umpire to adjudicate in such controversial decisions.

Amid the drama, Australia produced their worst bowling performance of the tour as the West Indies turned a seemingly hopeless position of 3-74 in pursuit of 418 to 6-371 heading into the final day.

Seamer Jason Gillespie and leg-spinner Stuart MacGill, having kept a tight rein in the first two sessions, bled runs at the rate of almost six an over after tea.

Australia's coach John Buchanan said yesterday that not only can his bowlers' mettle be found wanting when they're challenged, the team lose their cool when under pressure as has happened here and in the final Test against England last summer.

On that occasion, Hayden was fined and team-mate Adam Gilchrist severely reprimanded for disciplinary breaches as they vented their frustrations.

"I think it's reasonable to suggest at certain stages we do lose our composure," Buchanan said.

"The reason for our performance is that we are able to withstand any pressure exerted by the opposition and are able to counter that and exert our own pressure and that's why we get the results we do.

"But at certain stages there are times where we can't be the side we'd like to be 100 per cent of the time."

McGrath's behaviour yesterday came as no surprise as he has established a reputation for petulance, and has had several brushes with authorities since making his international debut in 1993.

The most recent came in January last year when he was suspended for one match after showing dissent when given out caught behind in a one-day international against New Zealand at the MCG.

In 1998, he was handed a four-month suspended fine for aiming a verbal outburst at England tailender Alan Mullally during that year's Boxing Day Test and the following year in Antigua he was severely reprimanded and the previously suspended fine was imposed after he was found guilty of spitting in the direction of West Indian opener Adrian Griffith.

That report was laid directly with the match referee by Lara.

Two years ago he was fined 50 per cent of his match fee after being found guilty of using foul language when walking past umpire S K Sharma after being given out lbw during a one-day international against India in Bangalore.