• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussies win matches but lose friends

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An amazing rate of response in this thread. :)

The incident of sledging has taken flight in a big way in the last decade or so.

I remember on the second to last WI tour to Australia, Lara had to shield Robert Samuels from some quite severe Aussie sledging. It's one of the few things I remember from the tour. :)

Lara had to do much of the same when Sarwan was getting the brunt of it from the Sri Lankans in 2001.

Last edited:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
hourn said:
No, but in back 15 or more years ago, sledging itself was virtually a sin out on the cricket field.
Aussies have been known to be doing nasty stuff for quite some time. Remember Ian Chappel's side used to be called the ugly Aussies. So its been an Aussie trait and not everyone else's and now teams have started to give it back which has made the series to be more acrimonious and sometimes getting totally out of control. Cammie Smith had to call the team officials and captains together in the last India-Aus series and when it comes to a point again in the future when the Aussies sense that they are going to lose a series, I can bet it will be close to one hell of a fistfight in the middle.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
krkode said:
Will you claim that they are?

I wouldn't say are they are good sportsmen, and It really doesn't bother me that they go out there to intimidate.

They go out there with the goal to win, and more often than not they do it.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
aussie_beater said:
Aussies have been known to be doing nasty stuff for quite some time. Remember Ian Chappel's side used to be called the ugly Aussies.
Yes I am aware of that and that was virtually the beginning of sledging in terms of international cricket and to such an extent.

But 15 years ago it still wasn't part and parcel of the game.

Now, when I go out to bat I expect the fieldsmen to be putting me off my game.

The best is to simply ignore it, and give it back when you are fielding.

It's not always best to give it back when you are batting. It's very hard to win with 2 on 11. It's best to let the bowler say his bit, if you wanna have a word you can and if he gets in your face, you walk away which will frustrate him even more.

Take the Sarwan-McGrath incident.

If instead of Sarwan standing there with McGrath pointing in his face, he had of walked around like he would mid over, hitting the wicket with his bat, not even making eye contact with McGrath, this would have completely sent McGrath off the tree and completely put him off his game. That is the best way to deal with that type of sledging.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Lara had to do much of the same when Sarwan was getting the brunt of it from the Sri Lankans in 2001.
And did this incident get beat up?? No, because no one cares about the Sri Lankan doing that.

Another example from the AFL. weekend before last St Kilda and the Bulldogs got involved in a bit of push and shove, resulting in nearly $70K worth of fines. Its been forgotten already.

If it were the Brisbane Lions involved, then it would've been given the biggest beat up off all time, because they are the champs, and people will always be hyper critical of ANYTHING that the champs do.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
hourn said:

They go out there with the goal to win, and more often than not they do it.
And they are not the first and only team in cricket's history to do that. But nobody had to resort to the sort of antics that this team seems to need which is what makes it get the criticism.

krkode

State Captain
hourn said:
If it were the Brisbane Lions involved, then it would've been given the biggest beat up off all time, because they are the champs, and people will always be hyper critical of ANYTHING that the champs do.
And that is because, I repeat, a winner is expected to act differently.

When you win, you have something more, a better reputation, honor, and respect. You don't expect a "winner" to throw that away with behavior like that of your average loser.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Basically, What I'm saying.

There is sleging. Sometimes it gets a bit beyond, but generally I reckon its kept pretty well in control (the Dravid/Slater and McGrath/Sarwan incidents).

But it's been beat out of all proportions because Australia are the champs. The Lehmann incident was nothing, and everyone made a huge deal out of that.

If thats the worst thing people cop in their life, then they'd be laughing.

Mr Mxyzptlk

hourn said:
And did this incident get beat up??

I wouldn't know. I haven't been on CricketWeb that long. :rolleyes:

But I do know that it a topic of discussion amongst several people in the West Indies.

Mr Mxyzptlk

hourn said:
The Lehmann incident was nothing, and everyone made a huge deal out of that.
What??? It was blatant racism! Not enough was made out of it! There is NO place for that in cricket! That's one reason why Zimbabwean cricket is feeling the heat right now...

krkode

State Captain
hourn said:
But it's been beat out of all proportions because Australia are the champs. The Lehmann incident was nothing, and everyone made a huge deal out of that.
And again, it is because they are the champs.

I wouldn't be surprised if I heard the boy next door yell out the F word like it was the word "Hello." But I would be surprised if Mr. George Bush, in his next speech, used it. Tell me if you wouldn't be.

It's an extreme example, but it is similar.

Like Mr. M said, I don't see how you can call that incident "nothing."

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
hourn said:

The best is to simply ignore it, and give it back when you are fielding.

It's not always best to give it back when you are batting. It's very hard to win with 2 on 11. It's best to let the bowler say his bit, if you wanna have a word you can and if he gets in your face, you walk away which will frustrate him even more.
There is no "Response to Sledging for Dummies" out there.Its a very personal thing.Different people react in different ways and last I checked the Aussies have not figured out a way to standardize that either.So to say this is best and that's wrong just because an Aussie was at the recieving end of it, is plain ludicrous.

The problem with the sledging in a multi-cultural sport like cricket is that there are people who feel that sledging is personal and they cannot get over it so easily as the Aussies seem to think everybody would and then have a beer at the end of the match.Then there are people everywhere who can get really ticked off if you bad mouth them and things can get out of control .Look at McGrath. He himself could not take it when he he got back something.That's what causes acrimony and bitterness and gets out of control and that is why players need to behave and not let things get out of hand.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
hourn said:
But 15 years ago it still wasn't part and parcel of the game.

Yes they are making it part and parcel of the game now.15 years ago they were losing, but now they are winning and setting the agenda and that's where they are setting a trend which needs to be stemmed.

Mr Mxyzptlk

krkode said:
:saint:

Anyone notice the "Aus v RoW" nature of this thread :P :lol:
I don't think it's hard to see why...:)

Hmmm...the Aussie support has gone quiet.....or offline.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
aussie_beater said:
Yes they are making it part and parcel of the game now.15 years ago they were losing, but now they are winning and setting the agenda and that's where they are setting a trend which needs to be stemmed.
why???

It creates an even bigger battle, aside from just bat and ball - it gives us the battle of brain v brawn (sp?).

Which team has the mental ability to stand up and rise above the other team.

Occasionally things get a bit out of hand, and the Aussie do need to learn how to take it back better, but that is the way teams can beat them. Get under them, niggle them, put THEM of their game the way they have done to teams.

Scenes like that of the last test don't occur all that often, and even though they don't paint the prettiest picture, they are soon enough forgotten and the game moves on.

I dont know how the game is played at club level around the world, in fact I dont know how it is played at a social level in Australia, but at grade level, we know what to expect and we recieve it and give it out just as good.

And Mr Xzysabcdefgh, I had gone offline - I would love to sit here and argue all day, but I have many other things around to do.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
hourn said:
Because we don't want to see the game of cricket degenerate to something like a free for all kick boxing match....That's why !!

It creates an even bigger battle, aside from just bat and ball - it gives us the battle of brain v brawn (sp?).

Stick to that Aussie rules football or whatever it is that Aussies play or make a game of your own called Aussie rules cricket or something and play that.Cricket as it is, is loved by millions of people around the world and its a battle of skills and stamina and everything else that makes it great.We don't need anything else.

Which team has the mental ability to stand up and rise above the other team.
Its about playing and playing hard.But nowhere does it mean calling another player a "black monkey" or using other expletives.To defend such behaviour is also reprehensible.

Occasionally things get a bit out of hand, and the Aussie do need to learn how to take it back better, but that is the way teams can beat them. Get under them, niggle them, put THEM of their game the way they have done to teams.
That is not how its supposed to be.Its supposed to be a game of cricketing abilities.Ofcourse play hard, apply the screws, intimidate like the WI fast bowlers used to in the 80s by their sheer presence, or by bowling short pitched stuff, but it should not get downright abusive as the Aussies get all the time.

Scenes like that of the last test don't occur all that often, and even though they don't paint the prettiest picture, they are soon enough forgotten and the game moves on.
Oh its happening with alarming regularity these days...whenever the Aussie team plays, there's some chatter.

krkode

State Captain
Mental strength is not measured by your wit, and your ability to bully your opposition into a corner with harsh words, but by your ability to stand tall, and have the determination and resilience to play a match-winning innings - some examples of those - Laxman 281, our friends Chanderpaul and Sarwan a couple of days ago, Waugh (WC semi final 1999). That's brain v brawn.

It's not one's ability to withstand verbal abuse, but his ability to withstand cricketing abuse (that is, his reaction to good bowling, batting, and fielding)...

Last edited: