• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They still have the best batting lineup. And probably the top bowling attack. So, dominance? Maybe not. But the best in the world? Yea.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I posted it in the other thread, and I'll say it again here, I disagree.

Batting wise, we have very capable replacements for Hayden, Langer and Gilchrist if they do indeed retire in the next year. Jaques, Rogers and Haddin are all players who would get into most (if not all) international sides as of now.

Warne will be replaced by MacGill who has shown how good a player he is, while our backup seamers are good enough to be adequate cover for McGrath. Anyone of Tait, Johnson or Hilfenhaus are more than worthy of an international squad.

While I agree that there won't be the complete and utter domination that we've seen over the past few years, I get the feeling we will remain the best side in the world for a few more years.

pasag

RTDAS
gunner said:
Is this the End of the Aussie dominance in world cricket?
With Warne and Mcgrath retiring,australia will find it hard to bowl sides out unless jason gillespie and kasprowicz find their old form,

I think that they will win some matches but it will mostly be draws or losses

More draws cos of the power of their batting but who knows maybe the remainder of Dads Army might follow their lead,

i said this a couple of weeks ago when martyn retired that others will follow him very soon
What are you smoking son, worst first post in a thread in history for mine.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
well,

take warney and mcgrath out of 2005 ashes and england would have won 5-0

take them out of this ashes series and england would have won 5-0

infact take them out of any series in the last 5 years and you will see alot of difference to the results

no bowlers can take their place right away and noone can act like nothing has happened

there will be alot of difference in results

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
pasag said:
What are you smoking son, worst first post in a thread in history for mine.
Ridiculous statement IMO. Their batting lineup is easily the best in the world, both on form and class. Hussey and Ponting are unbelievably good. And bowling is still excellent.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
gunner said:
well,

infact take them out of any series in the last 5 years and you will see alot of difference to the results

no bowlers can take their place right away and noone can act like nothing has happened

I still doubt England would have won a test this series against Australia without Warne and McGrath.

They would have still been belted in Brisbane (how many hundreds did they lose by?), probably drawn in Adelaide (McGrath and Warne got smashed in the first innings) and still lost in Perth (Gilchrist 100 of 57).

I still think Australia would win back the Ashes without McGrath and Warne.

Laurrz

International Debutant
gunner said:
well,

all i know is Australia are now back in the pack without these two

they won't be horrible... just average.. maybe above average... but not "invincible" like tehy were once put

gunner

U19 Cricketer
SirBloody Idiot said:
Wasn't that implying the batsman were on the way out aswell?
yes it was,

but people are replying as if i said australia will be the new bangladesh in terms of batting

i also said,

there will be either draws or losses

australian batsmen wont score 600 every match like some people here think,some innigns they will fail

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I posted this in the other thread, so apologies if I'm breaking any rules by posting it here as well, but it seems relevant...

With Marto gone too and Langer/Haydos/Gilly all due to retire in the next 1-2 years you can be sure the infamous "transition" word will rear its ugly head in just about every article concerning Australian cricket over the next couple of years in a way not seen since the mid-80s. It will certainly be a challenge to see how the next generation fare with trying to fill the boots of their record-breaking predecessors, and I can't argue with anyone who says we'll come back to the field over this period. But I don't think we're in anything like the kind of trouble we were in back in 1984 when the great trio left us at the same time - the strength of Australian cricket at domestic level is stronger now than then, the experienced players who will remain in the Test side over the next few years (Punter, Clarke, Hussey, Lee, Clark et al) are of a much higher standard than most of those left behind in the 1980s, the set-up and mentality of Australian cricket now compared to then is so different it's barely comparable, and there will (barring something totally unforseen) be no such thing as a rebel tour to drain Australian cricketing resources.

Will we lose a degree of the dominance we've held over international cricket for the past decade or more? Almost certainly.

Will we suddenly turn into also-rans who will struggle to bowl the opposition out for less than 500 and who start losing more than they win? Absolutely not.

This is an exciting challenge for the next generation of Australian cricketers to carry on a magnificent legacy of men they probably grew up idolising. I'm going to back them to do a good job of it.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Laurrz said:
all i know is Australia are now back in the pack without these two

they won't be horrible... just average.. maybe above average... but not "invincible" like tehy were once put
someone who read the original post and understood it

best reply so far

pasag

RTDAS
silentstriker said:
Ridiculous statement IMO. Their batting lineup is easily the best in the world, both on form and class. Hussey and Ponting are unbelievably good. And bowling is still excellent.
Was referring to the title post of gunner (sorry if that wasn't clear).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The Sean said:
I posted this in the other thread, so apologies if I'm breaking any rules by posting it here as well, but it seems relevant...

With Marto gone too and Langer/Haydos/Gilly all due to retire in the next 1-2 years you can be sure the infamous "transition" word will rear its ugly head in just about every article concerning Australian cricket over the next couple of years in a way not seen since the mid-80s. It will certainly be a challenge to see how the next generation fare with trying to fill the boots of their record-breaking predecessors, and I can't argue with anyone who says we'll come back to the field over this period. But I don't think we're in anything like the kind of trouble we were in back in 1984 when the great trio left us at the same time - the strength of Australian cricket at domestic level is stronger now than then, the experienced players who will remain in the Test side over the next few years (Punter, Clarke, Hussey, Lee, Clark et al) are of a much higher standard than most of those left behind in the 1980s, the set-up and mentality of Australian cricket now compared to then is so different it's barely comparable, and there will (barring something totally unforseen) be no such thing as a rebel tour to drain Australian cricketing resources.

Will we lose a degree of the dominance we've held over international cricket for the past decade or more? Almost certainly.

Will we suddenly turn into also-rans who will struggle to bowl the opposition out for less than 500 and who start losing more than they win? Absolutely not.

This is an exciting challenge for the next generation of Australian cricketers to carry on a magnificent legacy of men they probably grew up idolising. I'm going to back them to do a good job of it.
Great post Sean, I believe we're on the same 'word' of the same 'page' :).

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
They will still win more than they lose and will remain hard to beat at home(only WI have beaten a FULL-STERNGTH Australia in a home series since Illy's team way back in 1971) but they will find it harder to win away from home. Closer to the pack IMO - but they will not fall apart like the Windies did post Greenidge, Richards, Marshall and Dujon.