• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quirky women's setup in England

Kimbo

International Debutant
This is mad...

There are 18 County sides. There are twelve premier league club sides (in England). Therefore the club sides are of a far superior standard to the county sides.

and then theres a problem- if you're club side is laid back (as is mine) then you aren't being pushed at all as you would be in a decent county setup which is competitive. so then you go play county cricket, but thats where you relax anyway because of the standard drop...

there are reasons why england struggles....

hourn

U19 Cricketer
The ECB needs to reduce the number of county teams to 10 at most, and play one 4-day competition, and one 1-day competition.

Less players who have more time and resources developed into them and there isn't as much cricket, meaning that the cricket the play is meaningul and played at an intense level.

And below that should be the same setup as in Australia.

Each County has a grade competition of about 12 or 14 teams (with players who aren't paid by the EBC and therefor not taking up resources which are required for players who could be donning an English test cap) which the county teams pick they're squads from.

Kimbo

International Debutant
you wanna find 150 female cricketers in each county.... there are about two sides in middlesex, one side being my team and the other a first division side (lower standard). then there are some very weak age group sides...

my league is the south of england. so i travel from london to places like bath, brighton, somewhere in kent... there are six teams.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Sunil Havascar said:
you wanna find 150 female cricketers in each county.... there are about two sides in middlesex, one side being my team and the other a first division side (lower standard). then there are some very weak age group sides...

my league is the south of england. so i travel from london to places like bath, brighton, somewhere in kent... there are six teams.

ooo sorry missed the woman's part :p I thought we were talking about men.

Kimbo

International Debutant
played at brighton yesterday and it was horrible. cold, windy and wet. (as it has been apparently everytime my team goes to play there).

we got 194, and we were taken out of the game effectively by the rain because they dont use the duckworth lewis system. completely unfair... they ended up needing 104 from 27 because its the average they use. i couldnt believe it. we would have been in with a good chance if it hadnt been for that...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Was Claire Taylor(the batter) or Mandie Godliman(keeper) playing???

I am in favour of the Duckworth Lewis. Well I think it is the best way they have and the most accurate at the moment.

Kimbo

International Debutant
lets just say that d/l is a lot fairer than taking an average...

mandy godliman was playing, as was clare connor. not sure about taylor though... dont think so.

mandy godliman had a mare. couldnt hold anything. won't go into too many details...