19 55.88%
  • Stephen Fleming

12 35.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hussain vs Atherton vs Fleming as Test Batsmen

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I heard that some kid called Bond21 is already a better bowler than Malcolm Marshall, Curtley Ambrose and Richie Benaud combined!!!! Plus he has the arrogance of Prince Naseem Hamed and the supreme wit of Oscar Wilde.

In short, Bond21 is a renaissance man. Which in part explains why he has the physique and good looks of Danny de Vito.

And all the charm of a clogged Eastern Bloc border toilet infested with rats.

Skull IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by DCC_legend View Post
    What's your MSN d00d?
    jawi13@hotmail.co.uk

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Atherton for me. Fleming by far the best player of spin of the three, though.

edit: For all the talk of how mediocre they were (and I generally agree), it IS an interesting question. I definitely think Atherton though.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 14-05-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Certainly clearly the best, but both Atherton and Hussain were excellent against spin too, so not sure about "by far".
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Certainly clearly the best, but both Atherton and Hussain were excellent against spin too, so not sure about "by far".
    Atherton was at most a decent player of spin IMO. Hussein was quite good, Fleming was truly excellent, probably in the top 5 players of spin bowling in the world for a while. I think it's fairly clear cut in that sense, though I don't think any of them were poor players of spin. All of them had a lot more problems against quality pace bowling.

Cricket Champion!
    They're all certainly better than Hayden, we know that much.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Atherton was at most a decent player of spin IMO.
    How much of him batting against consistent spin threat did you actually watch, on a ball-by-ball or very-extended-highlights basis out of interest?

I'm guessing it couldn't have been much more than the Pakistan tour of 2000/01, if that, because that's pretty much all I saw. And please don't tell me you based anything on The Ashes 2001, which I presume you did watch extensively. Because Atherton that series (and the preceding two) was not the Atherton which he had been for most of his career.

How much of him batting against consistent spin threat did you actually watch, on a ball-by-ball or very-extended-highlights basis out of interest?

I'm guessing it couldn't have been much more than the Pakistan tour of 2000/01, if that, because that's pretty much all I saw. And please don't tell me you based anything on The Ashes 2001, which I presume you did watch extensively. Because Atherton that series (and the preceding two) was not the Atherton which he had been for most of his career.
    Off the top of my head, I'd say I mainly saw Atherton play against Australia. There's a few other matches or series here and there I do recall watching, generally in the form of highlights, but mainly Australia in terms of live cricket. Does that answer your question?

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    They're all certainly better than Hayden, we know that much.
    Yawn, don't start all that crap up again.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Off the top of my head, I'd say I mainly saw Atherton play against Australia. There's a few other matches or series here and there I do recall watching, generally in the form of highlights, but mainly Australia in terms of live cricket. Does that answer your question?
    Pretty much. Personally, though, I never saw Atherton unduly troubled by spin-bowling which I did not think would trouble most or all right-handed batsmen. This makes him a bit better than decent-at-best, to me.

Pretty much. Personally, though, I never saw Atherton unduly troubled by spin-bowling which I did not think would trouble most or all right-handed batsmen. This makes him a bit better than decent-at-best, to me.
    I always thought Warne had the better of him fairly well, while Hussein played Warne better than most, and probably better than any other English player, and I really don't rate Hussein at all as a batsman so that's saying a fair bit. Fleming played Warne as well as anyone other than Tendulkar. I think it's a fairly clear cut call.

Atherton, while not spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, was comfortably the best of the three against pace bowling, as long as your name wasn't McGrath.

Interestingly, after Atherton's first 13 Tests against Warne-inclusive Australia (only the last 3 of which included a Test-class McGrath) he averaged 42.33. Only later on (when McGrath dismissed him 11 times out of 18 innings) did he struggle against Australia, and Warne got him just 4 times.

I never thought Warne caused him any more problems than he caused most batsmen, and being such a good bowler Warne tended to trouble all but the very best. Yes, Fleming played him better still, but I don't think there's really all that much in it.

BTW, is it really much to ask - and this applies to many others besides yourself - that you spell Nasser Hussain's name correctly?

BTW, is it really much to ask - and this applies to many others besides yourself - that you spell Nasser Hussain's name correctly?
    Haha, right. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    You reckon Atherton overachieved Anil?
    yeah that's what i think...he was clearly better than hussain of course but he is someone i would rate as a fighter and an overachiever...

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Why do people need to be so mean? Fleming isn't mediocre.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information