Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Better bowler

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Imran Khan

    26 32.10%
  • Glenn McGrath

    47 58.02%
  • Peter Moore

    8 9.88%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 321

Thread: Who is better Imran Khan or Glenn Mcgrath?

  1. #1
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    905

    Who is better Imran Khan or Glenn Mcgrath?

    Yes ,let the people come up with the explanations . Statistics ,ability ,whatever open to discussion.This comparison is purely based on them as bowlers .

    Mods can we add a poll for this ?
    Last edited by funnygirl; 08-05-2008 at 02:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Imran Khan. More multi-skilled, and every bit as effective.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  3. #3
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Imran Khan. More multi-skilled, and every bit as effective.
    Statistics shows that Mcgrath is better in all categories .

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Really? Prey explain?

    And please don't tell me to look at any Imran-related material other than that contained in this.

    Equally, fair to say only to look at McGrath here.
    Last edited by Richard; 08-05-2008 at 02:20 PM.


  5. #5
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    39,949
    Glenn McGrath, definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  6. #6
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Really? Prey explain?
    come on ,in spite of playing more matches ,in an era of ''neutral umpires'' Mcgrath has better average ,better strike rate ,better wickets per match . What do u want more ?

  7. #7
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,552
    What's this comparison on? Bowling alone?

    McGrath for mine.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

  8. #8
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,552
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    come on ,in spite of playing more matches ,in an era of ''neutral umpires'' Mcgrath has better average ,better strike rate ,better wickets per match . What do u want more ?
    I think Richard was alluding to the vast difference in their respective batting abilities, given you didn't say anything about bowling in the first post.

    EDIT: Actually, you did! Never mind.

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Don't leave me Murph!
    Posts
    15,463
    McGrath probably. Both are very consistent, but where there are places that Imran Khan is just good, McGrath is very good. Imran's overall figures are helped somewhat by Sri Lanka too. Imran, however, was extraodinary against the best opposition side of the era whereas McGrath's overall record is not as good in the same comparison (S.Africa).

    This is all assuming we're talking strictly about bowling.
    ★★★★★

  10. #10
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Really? Prey explain?

    And please don't tell me to look at any Imran-related material other than that contained in this.

    Equally, fair to say only to look at McGrath here.
    So convenient.Take the career as a whole .
    Last edited by funnygirl; 08-05-2008 at 02:28 PM.

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    come on ,in spite of playing more matches ,in an era of ''neutral umpires'' Mcgrath has better average ,better strike rate ,better wickets per match . What do u want more ?
    McGrath's average difference is negligable (21 to 22), wickets-per-match ratio is never something I care overtly for, and their strike-rates are near identical in significant periods (both just over 50).

    What's more, Imran played many Tests in Pakistan and what's more did better there than away. Imran conquered every team, dramatically so, that came to Pakistan, and was never conquered anywhere else he toured. McGrath could not fully subdue South Africa home or away, and never bowled well in Sri Lanka. Minor details, but Imran has a more rounded record and was, as I say above, very obviously the more multi-skilled bowler, much as McGrath's capabilities in this respect are obviously underestimated.

    Incidentally, I've never cared much for the "he had \ didn't have home Umpires" argument. Pure conjecture.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    So convenient.Take the career as a whole .
    It's not "convenient", it's the only thing that makes any sense. Who in their right mind is going to hold a few Tests at the beginning\end of the career of two of the greatest bowlers ever seen, who played countless more times the number of these Tests, against them? The games I've knocked-out are near-meaningless IMO. When assessing a player you must assess what matters, and not allow mundane irrelevancies to be dragged in.

  13. #13
    International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,363
    I would think McGrath deserves the edge for his sheer longevity in terms of tests. I don't think Imran was bowling much at the end of his career. Quite remarkably the ageing McGrath managed to maintain his performance even when pitches eased out and scoring rates increased.

  14. #14
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    McGrath's average difference is negligable (21 to 22), wickets-per-match ratio is never something I care overtly for, and their strike-rates are near identical in significant periods (both just over 50).

    What's more, Imran played many Tests in Pakistan and what's more did better there than away. Imran conquered every team, dramatically so, that came to Pakistan, and was never conquered anywhere else he toured. McGrath could not fully subdue South Africa home or away, and never bowled well in Sri Lanka. Minor details, but Imran has a more rounded record and was, as I say above, very obviously the more multi-skilled bowler, much as McGrath's capabilities in this respect are obviously underestimated.

    Incidentally, I've never cared much for the "he had \ didn't have home Umpires" argument. Pure conjecture.
    Yes minor differences and u have to take consideration of ''neutral umpires '' very much considering imran has a much better home average than away .Again ,statistically Mcgrath is still better ,not by that much .But better .

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    I would think McGrath deserves the edge for his sheer longevity in terms of tests. I don't think Imran was bowling much at the end of his career. Quite remarkably the ageing McGrath managed to maintain his performance even when pitches eased out and scoring rates increased.
    Imran ('76/77-'88/89) lasted every bit as long as a great bowler as McGrath ('95-'06/07) did.

    Australia simply had more games scheduled during McGrath's career than Pakistan did in Imran's. Both played a whole stack of them, though, more than enough to demonstrate their durability and skill.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Imran Khan vs Keith Miller
    By BhupinderSingh in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 472
    Last Post: 30-11-2011, 12:53 PM
  2. Imran Khan on hunger strike.............
    By Lillian Thomson in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 08:44 AM
  3. Imran Khan 'under house arrest'
    By pasag in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 14-11-2007, 05:51 PM
  4. Replies: 126
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 12:10 PM
  5. Indians are fav's--Admits Imran KHan
    By ajaagarkarajaaja in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 02:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •