• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England or Somerset?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
As a whole, England have an average of about 43 in the matches Harmison's played in - this indicates to me that either the wickets were very good for batting on or the attack as a whole was facing a better set of players.

Either way you cannot just single out Harmison and drop him.
Yes I can say he's crap, show people his record and then say he should be dropped, because not only is his record poor, but think about it, have England won any of the Tests he's played in? Yup, just the 1, and Andy Caddick won that anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh right, and England were expected to thrash the Aussies i all the games weren't they! As for India - the matches over late 2002 and 2003 showed the 2 sides to be fairly equal at Test level (4 draws in 7 matches)

I expect to see Harmison spearheading the attack against Zimbabawe, and if he doesn't succeed then, then maybe there's a case for giving someone else a go.

It is completely unfair on him tough to drop him based on performances against the best batting side and the best side in World Cricket.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Oh right, and England were expected to thrash the Aussies i all the games weren't they! As for India - the matches over late 2002 and 2003 showed the 2 sides to be fairly equal at Test level (4 draws in 7 matches)

I expect to see Harmison spearheading the attack against Zimbabawe, and if he doesn't succeed then, then maybe there's a case for giving someone else a go.

It is completely unfair on him tough to drop him based on performances against the best batting side and the best side in World Cricket.
So you want to give him a chance so he's given a fair go when we all know he's not good enough? The ECB have probably decided that he's the next leader of the attack and will keep picking him weather he performs or not. I would rather just get rid of him until he can bowl properly and get someone else who's proved that he can.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You think he's not good enough - a lot of people who have a lot more clout than you think he is - I'm more inclined to listen to them.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Everything about Harmison from the clumsy run up, action, his falling away, and the short ball outside leg stump is painful to watch.. I think if he bowls against Zim i might be turning over to E4 to watch Big Brother 4 Live.

I think i am going to agree to disagree with you Marc

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
You think he's not good enough - a lot of people who have a lot more clout than you think he is - I'm more inclined to listen to them.
You mean the ECB, who most people realised were a bunch of idiots long ago due to their selections which were sometimes based on performances in County Cricket, and some players who have done even better and have been ignored. I'm sorry, but every international team has a dodgy selection panel, from South Africa and Zimbabwe's outright racism to Pakistan's throwing young players in at every oppertunity. England's is no different, and Harmison and Dawson are 2 products of that. You know, if you actually opened your eyes and watched Harmison bowl then you would understand why the selection panel is such a joke for not only picking him, but also giving him a 6 month contract. But instead your prepared to listen to all the rubbish they trawl up and even use pathetic arguements such as "the australians were impressed with him so he must be good." Come on Marc, you know he's rubbish, you know he can't bowl, you know he doesn't deserve his place in the squad, so why argue? Either you know or your as blind as a bat...

Last edited:

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Finito....

I think we should knock this Harmison debate on the head as you're both entitled to your opinion and its clear you both having strong opposing views. Let's see how he does this summer.

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scots playing for England??

Perhaps we should think about picking Ryan Watson who so massively pummelled our supposed class bowlers all over the shop. I just could not believe my eyes on Teletext. I notice the official site hasn't (last time I looked) got round to writing their own report. Not a great deal to say. We were shocking, move on!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Regarding Johnson, if he has any chance of making it I think it'd be in the OD side initially.
Despite being more successful in the longer game?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Yes the talented Durham all rounder you mean? :lol:
I didn't know his place was in jeopardy. ;) Surely he's a fixture in the side after his prolific career...

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I found this on cricinfo:
Somerset raced up to second place in Division Two with a crushing win by an innings and 143 runs over a dispirited Glamorgan side, who slipped down one place to seventh. Glamorgan were on to a lost cause when they resumed the day on 29 for 1 and 247 behind, but they showed little fight to save the game as they crashed to 133 all out, with Nixon McLean, Ian Johnson and Aaron Laraman all picking up three wickets each.
Who on earth wrote it? Whoever it was hasn't got a clue!

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ian Johnson not picked for England...

nor his namesake Richard Johnson!! Is Johnson carrying a niggling injury?? I heard he was a doubt for today's thrash (looks like rain might make it a reduced overs farce again, fingers crossed we avoid the Scotland result again)

I only ask cos he's been ignored by England apparently cos of injury. However he bowled suitably well in the Glamorgan second innings to bag 3 wkts so he can't be too bad. He appears to have been labelled an injury disaster in the press like Alex Tudor. Still, Johnson will have his day soon (he says hopefully..)

John :D

Frome Exile

Cricket Spectator
Unavailable

he's been ignored by England apparently cos of injury
Peter Anderson announced Johnson's unavailabilty for England a number of days ago, so it's not really far to say he's been ignored.