• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you prefer to face as a batsman ? ?

Who would rather face as a batsman ?

• Total voters

irfan

State Captain
McGrath obv.

With Ambrose, I'd have to worry bout my head.

With Waqar and Wasim, my toes.

With Donald, my ribcage.

With McGrath, it's just my off stump. Not exactly gonna be writhing in agony once that gets knocked back.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Really surprised that McGrath seems to be the overwhelming choice, we've seen how good his bouncer is as it's directed straight at the head, I'm pretty sure he could abandon his off-stump line if required.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
McGrath is also easy to anger, and 85mph bouncer at your head, with his accuracy, would be absolutely nasty. I would face him, just for the experience of facing a hero of mine, but not because I'd feel the safest against him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No-one is saying that an average everyday person would be in the slightest safe against any of these bowlers. Merely that McGrath is simply an extremely scary prospect rather than a downright terrifying one.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath obv.

With Ambrose, I'd have to worry bout my head.

With Waqar and Wasim, my toes.

With Donald, my ribcage.

With McGrath, it's just my off stump. Not exactly gonna be writhing in agony once that gets knocked back.
This is one reason why McGrath did so well, I suspect; was under-rated by those who haven't faced him. McGrath's bouncer would still be tough to face even at vastly reduced pace because it's so well directed. When he wanted to be, McGrath was just as nasty as the other blokes.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting results. It is funny to see how Mcgrath is being percieved as someone who couldn't knock the heads off while others could with the bouncers. Even Akram in the 90s wasn't as fierce or dangerous as he was in the the 80s.

I wouldn't wanna face Akram because of his unpredictability. You never knew what he was going to bowl to you. My entire stay at the crease would have been awkward and embarrassing.

Mcgrath would be predictable, although equally effectiv. But at least I wont end up looking like a fool against his bowling. He will get me caught behind or break my off stump sooner than Akram but at least I could pretend to know where he was bowling.

Ambrose :- Who knows, he might just get offended by my presence on the crease and ask me to leave, If I don't then he will treat me worse than Dan Jones. Of course I am no where close to Deano as a batsman.

Donald :- For some reason, I have always found Donald a very intimidating fast bowler and he was also the fast bowler who I watched most at his peak.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
It's inaccurate to say McGrath bowls just outside the offstump. The percentage of wickets he took by bowling the batsman isn't significantly less than other bowlers who were seen as more attacking, such as Lillee.
Lillee not really a prime example of stump attack, though - was renowned for his absent yorker.

funnygirl

State Regular
This is one reason why McGrath did so well, I suspect; was under-rated by those who haven't faced him. McGrath's bouncer would still be tough to face even at vastly reduced pace because it's so well directed. When he wanted to be, McGrath was just as nasty as the other blokes.
Mcgrath bouncers are vicious ,Mark Ramprakash and KP and plenty of others would agree that .The thing is those mentioned are a touch more dangerous ,not that much ,just .And some of them can damage toes also ,if not head .

funnygirl

State Regular
McGrath, because getting out first ball is infinitely preferable to losing one's.....well, actually the first body part that springs to mind is one's balls. I was gonna say head, but no, I'd definitely prefer to take a 90mph delivery to the skull than to the gonads.

U think the same way as Roshan mahanama probably:ph34r: