• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vivian Richards vs Sachin Tendulkar

Who was the better Test match batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not you :)

was just referring to some one who is hell bent on proving that ponting is the second greatest batsmen after bradman
:laugh:

I consider Viv Richards the best since Bradman. I think guys like Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, etc, a bit below. Out of the ones remaining, Ponting seems the most likely to get close to Richards for me and I might still like Richards better because I just liked his attitude better than Ponting's. However, to deny all that I've said, especially considering it's proved so much of what you've said wrong is really the blind and patriotic way. I don't deny Tendulkar being an all-time great or Lara being an all-time great, but it's you who've said Ponting isn't. So kindly keep the blind patriotic talk to yourself.

If someone said: their records are close, but I thought Tendulkar did X better and Y better, then that's some solid foundation. But to say that Tendulkar smashed everybody in the 90s or that Ponting's record is overrated are the silly things that get to me personally. Because they are jingoistic comments that serve little rational discussion.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Christ, Kazo I knew you were a Ponting slurper but this is ridiculous. :laugh:
Haha, the funny thing is I'm not. I don't really like him. If anything, I like Tendulkar better and better than both of them I like Dravid MUCH better. But there are a few myths here that need busting ;).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If India had played more Test cricket when Sachin was at his true peak record would be scary. Having watched both batsmen play at their peaks Sachin wins it every time for me. It's not the blue tinted specs talking either.
Tendulkar at his peak played both S.Africa and Pakistan...not sure he was that indestructible. Statistically, Ponting's peak is also more superior to Tendulkar's.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Even Ponting's 2nd/3rd highest scores are higher than the rest of Tendulkar's.
Ofcourse Ponting faced both Akram and Waqar at their peak when he scored 76 and 43. 8-) And you are preaching about Honesty.

Now again, go read a bit more, recall some logic and do away with your dishonesty. We can debate this till next year, but let's be objective and honest.
You preaching about Honesty is like Mugabe preaching about racism. Having watched Tendulkar bat against the Saffies and Pakistan, I dont need to read anything about Tendulkar's performances,. May be you need to watch some cricket instead of reading Statsguru.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ofcourse Ponting faced both Akram and Waqar at their peak when he scored 76 and 43. 8-) And you are preaching about Honesty.
LMAO, this is getting seriously funny. I mean, are you trying to make Tendulkar look bad?

Ponting got that 76* and 43 (in the same match btw) in 98. That was before his 197 in 99.

Guess what genius? It was also before Tendulkar 136 in 99. Amazing, you can actually make yourself look clueless. :laugh:

You preaching about Honesty is like Mugabe preaching about racism. Having watched Tendulkar bat against the Saffies and Pakistan, I dont need to read anything about Tendulkar's performances,. May be you need to watch some cricket instead of reading Statsguru.
Someone get this guy away from his keyboard... :laugh: Tendulkar averages 32 in 13 test matches (24 innings) against both S.Africa and Pakistan. What a success! :laugh:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And Statistically He is better than Richards too. But who really gives a damn about Statistics.
Well, you see, there is a difference because Ponting played in a totally different era to Richards whilst Tendulkar played in largely the same one. As well as a host of other things like Viv was averaging 62 in the 80s, which if you do that statistical adjustment means he was superior to even Ponting's peak ;).

And like, Richards should also be god to you, because I think he averaged above 40 even against his worst opponent? :laugh:

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
LMAO, this is getting seriously funny. I mean, are you trying to make Tendulkar look bad?

Ponting got that 76* and 43 (in the same match btw) in 98. That was before his 197 in 99.

Guess what genius? It was also before Tendulkar 136 in 99. Amazing, you can actually make yourself look clueless.
Maybe 3rd time you will understand this. Did Waqar/Wasim play in the test ? Scoring some runs on a featherbed doesn't mean anything. But let me guess, I am the one who is clueless here.

Someone get this guy away from his keyboard... Tendulkar averages 32 in 13 test matches (24 innings) against both S.Africa and Pakistan. What a success!

Ofcourse, I knew it would come down to this. You have outdone yourself. Adding 100 smilies isn't going to prove a single thing for you.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Guess what genius? It was also before Tendulkar 136 in 99. Amazing, you can actually make yourself look clueless. :laugh:

Someone get this guy away from his keyboard... :laugh: Tendulkar averages 32 in 13 test matches (24 innings) against both S.Africa and Pakistan. What a success! :laugh:
u know, Kazo. I would agree with you most of the time. And for me, I do think Ponting is an all time great, given that he doesn't have a pretty big slump from now... But to keep saying he is better than Sachin and Lara simply because he has better records against Pak and RSA is clutching at straws... The Windies had a great attack at least till 96... AFAIC, Walsh and Ambrose only started to fade consistently from around early 97. Absolutely unfortunate that Ponting only came on the scene by then because we don't have much clue of how good/bad he would have been against them at his best. But we have seen what Sachin can do on tough tracks against these guys and that is good enough to rate him high.

Sachin only played against Pak in ONE series at home in the 90s, hardly something to draw conclusions from, and even in that he played perhaps his best innings... He got out in the most unfortunate way at Kolkata in the second innings when it looked as though he was warming up to another great knock. Anyone who had seen that knock would know Sachin almost NEVER looked like getting out in the second innings there....

And about RSA, he played against them well enough in the 96 away series.. That 169 was a masterful knock and he followed it up with a 50 in the second innings as well, IIRC.. And he had an awesome knock of 150+ at Bloemfontein on a track which was doing quite a bit on the first day... From scorecard, you would think even RSA made a lot in their first dig, so wats so special about this knock but trust me, you HAD to have watched it to understand how good it was... He has had trouble against RSA and even Pak to an extent, but it is not as bad as you make it seem.... And we all know he has been the shadow of a batsman since 2000... He simply has not been that good, except very recently when in England and in Australia he has shown signs of the old...

And with Lara, he only played RSA and Pak once away before the turn of the century, and IIRC, there were major issues about captaincy in 97 with some guys openly accusing Lara of not concentrating fully because he didn't get the captaincy. And we have seen and read enough about his doomed tour to RSA as captain in 99.... That is 8 tests in his career that you are using to prove that he is bad... And he even managed a really good 70 odd in that hellish tour to RSA (hellish from his PoV, btw)...

Look, Kazo, I can see why you believe Ponting is better going by stats and that is fine. But for me, and I guess quite a few others here, cricket is about watching and judging players. I know Ponting is an all time great but I also know, having watched Lara and Sachin enough, that they were just that slight cut above Ponting... When so many experts around the world concur, including your favourite Mr.Warne himself, don't you think there MUST be some reason and that surely, so many ppl can't ALL be wrong???????

I know this is opinon based but honestly, given how good these guys are and the fact that their peaks haven't coincided means this will always be a subjective debate, no matter how much stats get thrown around....

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe 3rd time you will understand this. Did Waqar/Wasim play in the test ? Scoring some runs on a featherbed doesn't mean anything. But let me guess, I am the one who is clueless here.
Oh, but Shoaib Akhtar and your 'world-class' spinner Mushtaq Ahmed were there? Does a featherbed mean something for someone who bowls 150kph or one that spins it?

And BTW, when did Waqar ever do well against India for his presence to even mean something? He's worse than Warne against India. :laugh:

Ofcourse, I knew it would come down to this. You have outdone yourself. Adding 100 smilies isn't going to prove a single thing for you.
Oh, maybe I should proclaim you've never seen the matches in question. Because you've made more factual/statistical errors than I can count.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As well as a host of other things like Viv was averaging 62 in the 80s, which if you do that statistical adjustment means he was superior to even Ponting's peak .
Yeah right !!, Viv was averaging in 60s in the 80s. Go take a look at your fav. book again.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
u know, Kazo. I would agree with you most of the time. And for me, I do think Ponting is an all time great, given that he doesn't have a pretty big slump from now... But to keep saying he is better than Sachin and Lara simply because he has better records against Pak and RSA is clutching at straws... The Windies had a great attack at least till 96... AFAIC, Walsh and Ambrose only started to fade consistently from around early 97. Absolutely unfortunate that Ponting only came on the scene by then because we don't have much clue of how good/bad he would have been against them at his best. But we have seen what Sachin can do on tough tracks against these guys and that is good enough to rate him high.
Well, we're not on the same page because I am not arguing that because Ponting did well against S.Africa and Pakistan he is better than Sachin.

Here we go:

Sachin is considered untouchable because of his form in the 90s. Yet Ponting is trounced on because of his in the 2000s. Really, the bowling differences are too small to suggest Ponting would still be mediocre, being the only one averaging 60+ (taking out Bang/Zim) he stands alone his record is very comparable with Sachin's.

But here's the thing, Sachin is considered great, because he somehow played tougher attacks and was great whereas Ponting failed. Which I've proved isn't true. Sachin was great against 2/4 great attacks of his time and was more than great against the rest. Whereas with Ponting, where it's apt to compare, with regards to the touted differences, ALSO does well against 2/4 (one of them is his own team which he cannot play - so it's 2/3 really). So what does that mean? That in the 90s, when bowling and pitch conditions were tough, Ponting has a similar record to Sachin.

Now, fast forward to post-2000 and there is absolutely no comparison. Tables have turned immensely if not even more in favour of Ponting. Ponting still has the record of doing well against great attacks in the 90s, but he dominates even the 'mediocre/weaker' ones of the post 2000 (that aren't much different to the ones in 90s that Sachin was belting).

So, on that equal footing, we look at their overall records and it's plain to see. Ponting has the better all-round record and anything that justifies denigration is debatable at best.

Now, despite the fact that their records are so close, and where it mattered in the 90s Ponting also had success, Ponting still cannot compare for some people. And then you have to ask yourself, what did Tendulkar do to get this unabashed support by some people? Couldn't be his performances post-2000, has to be pre-2000. And here we are, looking at them and seeing that Ponting's overall record makes a mockery of Tendulkar's 90s one. But STILL, cannot compare. :laugh:

Sachin only played against Pak in ONE series at home in the 90s, hardly something to draw conclusions from, and even in that he played perhaps his best innings... He got out in the most unfortunate way at Kolkata in the second innings when it looked as though he was warming up to another great knock. Anyone who had seen that knock would know Sachin almost NEVER looked like getting out in the second innings there....
Sachin played an away series a month before the 90s as well, let's factor that in because apart from date, it's relevant. But even disregarding that, it's still not upto standard here.

Ponting looked like a man possessed in his 197, what does that matter if for the rest of his scores he was poor? But Ponting's obviously not a fluke. A couple years later against Pakistan with Akhtar, Waqar and Saqlain he scored another 141.

Cricket is more than playing one innings great or two innings great, it is about consistency. And you simply cannot argue that 30 runs per dismissal is a great record. You may argue that Tendulkar is/was capable of more? I can't dispute that, that's conjecture anyway. I am talking about what did happen.

And to be frank, Tendulkar against S.Africa is still rather poor. Not just home or away but overall. There are no ifs or buts there.

And about RSA, he played against them well enough in the 96 away series.. That 169 was a masterful knock and he followed it up with a 50 in the second innings as well, IIRC.. And he had an awesome knock of 150+ at Bloemfontein on a track which was doing quite a bit on the first day... From scorecard, you would think even RSA made a lot in their first dig, so wats so special about this knock but trust me, you HAD to have watched it to understand how good it was... He has had trouble against RSA and even Pak to an extent, but it is not as bad as you make it seem.... And we all know he has been the shadow of a batsman since 2000... He simply has not been that good, except very recently when in England and in Australia he has shown signs of the old...
HB mate, have you seen me dispute him batting very well? Looking great? Being on top? I have not. I dispute his record because consistency is what I am after in this instance.

Still, my reply to that is much the same as the one above.

And with Lara, he only played RSA and Pak once away before the turn of the century, and IIRC, there were major issues about captaincy in 97 with some guys openly accusing Lara of not concentrating fully because he didn't get the captaincy. And we have seen and read enough about his doomed tour to RSA as captain in 99.... That is 8 tests in his career that you are using to prove that he is bad... And he even managed a really good 70 odd in that hellish tour to RSA (hellish from his PoV, btw)...
I'm sure there are side-issues and I would love to hear more of them. As much as I can remember, I don't remember everything. Lara aside, Tendulkar is different. He faced them both (Pakistan/S.Africa) when he was pretty much on top-form.

Look, Kazo, I can see why you believe Ponting is better going by stats and that is fine. But for me, and I guess quite a few others here, cricket is about watching and judging players. I know Ponting is an all time great but I also know, having watched Lara and Sachin enough, that they were just that slight cut above Ponting... When so many experts around the world concur, including your favourite Mr.Warne himself, don't you think there MUST be some reason and that surely, so many ppl can't ALL be wrong???????
Here's the thing, I am not going just by stats. I've been around for a while, I've seen both play many many times. Tendulkar looking a cut above is just funny for me because that is exactly what I think of Ponting, but it doesn't matter...because it is all subjective. Ponting in the last few years has looked so good it's beyond belief. You're literally disappointed, he is in himself, if he doesn't at least hit a century. How ridiculous is that? And if we're getting that subjective? What about Viv? What about Lara? For me, without some justification, simply saying one player looked better than another is not a valuable point.

And with regards to Warne, well my friend, Warne didn't have to face much of ol' Ricky did he? Warne's player ranking (as we saw from his top 50 list) is also quite objectionable - see Steve Waugh. But I leave that aside, because I can respect that opinion and it's fine. I can respect anyone that says Tendulkar is slightly better, it's fine. Frankly, I think Lara is better than Tendulkar too. But it's just my opinion and it's too close to deny that there is logic saying Tendulkar can also claim to be better.

I know this is opinon based but honestly, given how good these guys are and the fact that their peaks haven't coincided means this will always be a subjective debate, no matter how much stats get thrown around....
Well, I think you just hit the right note there. It is subjective, especially because it is so close. But what isn't subjective is how Ricky fared in the 90s against quality bowling. What isn't subjective, is even regarding the drop in bowling standard/pitches, Ponting's peak is mammoth. What isn't subjective is that they're close and there is no clear choice either way. But to call someone biased if they pick Ponting is a joke. To say they're not close is a joke. Some of the points raised against Ponting are, frankly, a joke.

There seems to be something in the forum that has just eaten up the ideas that batsmen/bowlers of today aren't comparable and use hyperbole towards anything anyone else has done in the past. We've had a long debate here and I hope I've opened some people's eyes. Wouldn't be much of a voluntary thing as I'm sure it's more akin to prying some people's eyes open.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah right !!, Viv was averaging in 60s in the 80s. Go take a look at your fav. book again.
Nah, I'm good. You should give it a read though. You might get some scores/line-ups/years/grounds correct ;).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, but Shoaib Akhtar and your 'world-class' spinner Mushtaq Ahmed were there? Does a featherbed mean something for someone who bowls 150kph or one that spins it?
Shoaib was ordinary early in his career. The performance in the 99 series(Kolkata Test) in India marked the new era in Shoaib's career. Tendulkar destriyed Shoaib and Saqlain in 2003 series even when he was not at his best.

As for Mushtaq being there, Since when he became bowling fast ?

And BTW, when did Waqar ever do well against India for his presence to even mean something? He's worse than Warne against India.
Doesn't that mean the Indian batsmen (including Tendulkar) had great success against Waqar. or are you saying that Waqar's failure do not have anything to do with Indian batsmen's ability to handle fast bowling ?

Oh, maybe I should proclaim you've never seen the matches in question. Because you've made more factual/statistical errors than I can count.
Obviously I am posting from memory mostly and not from cut/paste of Statsguru, so there may be some errors here and therin exact figures,. but my point remains a valid one. whereas you despite llooking at cricinfo got almost all your information wrong.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib was ordinary early in his career. The performance in the 99 series(Kolkata Test) in India marked the new era in Shoaib's career. Tendulkar destriyed Shoaib and Saqlain in 2003 series even when he was not at his best.

As for Mushtaq being there, Since when he became bowling fast ?
There you go again, you and that reading problem of yours. Mushtaq was a spinner, hence why I said "or one that spins it"

So are we talking about the 2000s, you sure you want to? Ponting was pretty good in the 2000s ;)

And Saqlain never played in the 2003 series...because there was no 2003 series, it was in 2004 and he played a single match...and when you talk about pitches to denigrate Ponting's record, I don't think you want to bring up a pitch which produced 1000+ runs in the first inning alone?

Doesn't that mean the Indian batsmen (including Tendulkar) had great success against Waqar. or are you saying that Waqar's failure do not have anything to do with Indian batsmen's ability to handle fast bowling ?
Indian batsmen, sure. Tendulkar who averaged in the 30s, no.

Obviously I am posting from memory mostly and not from cut/paste of Statsguru, so there may be some errors here and therin exact figures,. but my point remains a valid one. whereas you despite llooking at cricinfo got almost all your information wrong.
No, your points don't remain valid, that's the whole issue. Saying a certain player played when they didn't makes that bowling attack weaker for example. Saying a certain player scored on a certain pitch, trying to say that the batting effort was of a different standard for example is wrong. Saying one player was in one part of his career and getting the years wrong in the comparison contradicts your whole point.

I work from memory too. But considering a lot of this stuff is 10+ years ago, I check not to look like a duffer.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And Saqlain never played in the 2003 series...because there was no 2003 series, it was in 2004 and he played a single match...?
Obviously, now you have to resort to nit picking. 2003 vs. 2004. it was 2003-04 season, that's why I keep menitioning 2003. It is proof enough that I was speaking from my memory and not by looking at cricinfo. The test in question is (which I am sure you knew what I was talking about) :-

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/64081.html

and when you talk about pitches to denigrate Ponting's record, I don't think you want to bring up a pitch which produced 1000+ runs in the first inning alone?
No, only you have the right to denigrate great cricketers. I dont have to denigrate anyone to know/prove how great Tendulakr is. It is almost universally accepted that Tendulkar and Lara are the best of their generation. Everyone else is a notch below, regardless of their average and no. of runs/centuries etc. But for the likes of you to make Ponting the greatest of his era , it is a necessity to denigrate the best of the best and hence the crap being unloaded by you here.

In any case, for the record I was just suggesting that Ponting's runs in the 1998 test didn't come against the great pace attack of Pakistan. And against similar attack(and pitch) Sachin Tendulkar was better than Ponting despite not being in best of form.