cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jayasuriya vs Afridi?

Banned

Jayasuriya vs Afridi?

we all know Jayasuriya is a much better batsmen. but who would you have on the team just as a pinch hitter? jayasuriya is more reliable but afridi is more destructive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4h-cmqEXMw

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Jayasuriya, every single time.

Possibly a better bowler too. Possibly.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I honestly cannot decide Arrrrgh!!!!

Its arguable that Jayasuriya can sometimes be a better ODI bowler when conditions suit, but you'd back Afridi almost every other time.

With the bat its Sanath no question in both forms, and Sanath wasn't even that crash hot in tests anyway.

EDIT: Whoops didn't even read the first post, guilty as charged.

Afridi is a better pinch hitter IMO. I Reckon when he stands still and hits through the line, he's more likely to get you the quickfire 30 off 15 needed than even Sanath.

One thing about Sanath, he would play the best flick off his pads for six in the game. Looked so simple when he did it, and then I'd go in a practice match attempting to do something similar and give mid wicket a dolly catch every time
    Last edited by Jono; 05-04-2008 at 10:55 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

ret
    both of them have had their moments against India but Jayasuriya is likely to pull things off more often than Afridi

and it's hard to believe that Jayasuriya is being reduced to pinch hitter status!!!!
    Fastest gun in town

I don't think he is. I think the question is asking you, if given the situation where you needed a batsman to play that role, who would you choose.

There are others like Gilly, McCullum etc. who also have the ability to solely play that role, doesn't mean they are only pinch hitters.

ret
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I don't think he is. I think the question is asking you, if given the situation where you needed a batsman to play that role, who would you choose.

There are others like Gilly, McCullum etc. who also have the ability to solely play that role, doesn't mean they are only pinch hitters.
    yeah and I answered it by saying that Jayasuriya is more likely to pull things off than Afridi

may be Jayasuriya vs Gilly would have been a better comparison even for pinch hitting

What I meant was, no one in this thread is suggesting Sanath is/was just a pinch hitter.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    If we are talking when both were at a reasonable point in their careers, then Jayasuriya by a fair way.

Different class to Afridi and less one dimentional. Not that Afridi isnt scary, just that Jayasuriya can attack early and then continue the innings in a variety of ways.
    Last edited by Goughy; 05-04-2008 at 12:16 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Quote Originally Posted by deira View Post
    we all know Jayasuriya is a much better batsmen. but who would you have on the team just as a pinch hitter? jayasuriya is more reliable but afridi is more destructive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4h-cmqEXMw
    Afridi is certainly the greater pinch-hitter, in terms of ability to score runs quickly. That being said, since Jayasuriya's strike rate is not much lower, I'd take him.

As a Test/ODI batsman, I'd not hesistate to pick Jayasuriya, obviously.

As a bowler, though, Afridi seems more attractive to me. Jayasuriya is a clever bowler, varying his pace and darting it into leg-stump, but Afridi has so much more variation - a legbreak, a googly, a topspinner, an offbreak, an awesome quicker ball - he can also get a little bit of drift if he bowls slowly enough (he generally doesn't; I've never seen him bowl <90 km/h). I think Afridi's ODI bowling stats are as poor as they are because he was utterly unpenetrative during the early stages of his career.

Afridi could pinch-hit, but the turning of a match by him would require a lot of input from the rest of the lineup too.

Jayasuriya isn't dependant on the rest of the lineup to turn a match as much as Afridi is.

So it boils down to what exactly constitutes a pinch-hit innings - a 30 off 18 or a 70 off 60?

U19 Vice-Captain
    70 off 60 is not exactly astronomical, a good innings yes, but I wouldn't call it a 'pinch-hitter' innings. Examples of a pinch-hitter innings would be Jayasuriya's 76 off 28 balls, Afridi's 37 (IIRC) ball century, his 29 off 9 balls in a T20I against England etc.

jayasuriya easily...

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Easy decision here, Sanath. IMO, Afridi had the potential to become a very good cricketer since his debut a decade ago, but hes wasted his talent by failing to expand his game beyond looking for the big slog shot. Jayasuriya, when required, showed patience and therefore was of much greater value to Sri Lanka throughout his career than Afridi has ever given to Pakistan.

State Vice-Captain
    Although I'd sooner have Jaya in my ODI side than Afridi, the latter would be spoken of in more prominence historically.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information