• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Do you rate Javagal Srinath?

Go_India

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would like to ask you guys of how you rate Indias best bowler?
Can he be considered as an all time great? Is he up there with Ambrose, lillee and Marshall?

V Reddy

International Debutant
Nah , he is not that great a bowler as Ambrose,Walsh,etc,. He can be considered a very good bowler if you take his average since the England tour in 1996. Before that he used to average in the high 30's i think. So it is a very great achievement to bring it to 30 and that too playing half his matches in India.Unfortunately he didn't start well for Durham in this county season. He should be considered as a very good bowler but not great.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Forget Ambrose, Lillee and Marshall. He doesn't even begin to compare to them. He is a distant second in the Indian scenario to Kapil.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If Srinath is India's best bowler, then I'm a Dutchman.

As for an all time great, well in that case, so are messrs Gough, Caddick, Hoggard, and that's just from England's current set up, not to mention other countries!

Srinath is probably not even in the best 100 bowlers of all time.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Are you kidding ? ....Srinath compared to Ambrose,Walsh, Marshall,Lilee ? .. the question doesn't even arise.

Srinath has shown glimpses of stuff throughout his career which makes you say "What could have been if", and no more. And most of those "ifs" had to do with his mental makeup where he lacks the resolve to put his head down and stick to a plan that works.

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
I'll agree that Srinath is not India's best bowler ever, nor comparable to Ambrose, Walsh and the likes, but this I can't agree with...

marc71178 said:
Srinath is probably not even in the best 100 bowlers of all time.
Name for me 100 bowlers who you think are better than Srinath and I will stand corrected.

Either way, I'd certainly say, he is one of the best India has ever had. For a country that isn't popular for her fast bowlers, he's done well in his time.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Srinath was a class act, but comparing him with all time greats like Lillee, Ambrose , Akram is absurd. I can name atleast 40 odd pacers who were definately better than Srinath.

Still Srinath did a very good job for India, i rate him as the best Pacer ever from India along with Dev!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Agreed with all the above, and as for Top 100 bowlers of all time, I think we've just hit on a cracking thread :D

(Heads for Wisden) - These guys up now are the best Test Strike Rates and averages (75wkts+) - SR < 55 or Avg < 23

GA Lohmann
SF Barnes
CTB Turner
R Peel
J Briggs
FR Spofforth
FH Tyson
C Blythe
SM Pollock
JH Wardle
AK Davidson
MD Marshall
J Garner
CEL Ambrose
NAT Adcock
JC Laker
GD McGrath
GE Palmer
FS Trueman
AA Donald
H Trumble
RJ Hadlee
WJ O'Reilly
JV Saunders
Imran Khan
KR Miller
Waqar Younis
JN Gillespie
CEH Croft
SCG MacGill
D Gough
T Richardson
MA Holding
GA Faulkner
BP Patterson
DK Lillee
A Cotter
IR Bishop
JR Thomson
RGD Willis
GOB Allen
WW Hall
Wasim Akram
CL Cairns

That's 44

And some more who are quite special:

Abdul Qadir
M Muralitharan
Kapil Dev
IT Botham
LR Gibbs
H Verity (50)
SK Warne
CJ McDermott
MG Hughes
W Rhodes
TM Alderman
AV Bedser
DL Underwood
JB Statham
JA Snow
R Benaud (60)
GD McKenzie
RR Lindwall
R Benaud
CV Grimmett
BA Reid
PM Pollock
GS Sobers
AME Roberts
S Ramadhin
AL Valentine (70)
VA Holder
WPUJC Vaas

Right, 28 to name.

PY

International Coach
AR Caddick

Matches
Wickets
Best Haul
7/46
Average
Five wickets hauls

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:
And some more who are quite special:

Abdul Qadir
M Muralitharan
Kapil Dev
IT Botham
LR Gibbs
H Verity (50)
SK Warne
CJ McDermott
MG Hughes
W Rhodes
TM Alderman
AV Bedser
DL Underwood
JB Statham
JA Snow
R Benaud (60)
GD McKenzie
RR Lindwall
R Benaud
CV Grimmett
BA Reid
PM Pollock
GS Sobers
AME Roberts
S Ramadhin
AL Valentine (70)
VA Holder
WPUJC Vaas

Right, 28 to name. [/B]
I guess you forgot to mention the name of Ajit Agarkar in that list:saint: , he's quite special too !

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's one for you...

India arrived in NZ in December last year for 2 tests without Javagal Srinath, he later arrived for the 7 ODI's that followed and produced some outstanding spells of bowling which would have won India more games had they batted better.

I firmly believe that if Srinath had been playing in those 2 tests instead of Agarkar or Yohannan then India may have at least drawn that series because NZ were far from good with the bat & all it needed was a decent bowler to break the ice.

So I rate him quite highly in terms of pace bowlers around the World, he's not flashy & lacks pace these days but when he's in form he can bang it in on a good length 6 balls in a row and he'll be more than a tricky customer to bat against.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:

So I rate him quite highly in terms of pace bowlers around the World, he's not flashy & lacks pace these days but when he's in form he can bang it in on a good length 6 balls in a row and he'll be more than a tricky customer to bat against.
That's very true. Srinath at times in his long career has been totally unplayable but his problem, as with so many other very talented bowlers throughout the world, is that they can't do it consistently and that's what separates the Srinath types from greats like Marshall and others.

No question that Srinath is the best pace bowler India has produced after Kapil Dev, but his place among the greats ? ....Nah !!

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Srinath had/has everything but his head was never screwed on right.
Ten years after his debut he still claimed to be 'unlucky'. He looked unlucky because he was always a few inches short.

The unplayable Srinath A_B mentions is the guy who pitches the ball up, or on the odd occasion when the conditions have helped his short bowling. Maybe he just needed some seniors to play with him in his early years (Kapil was on his way out) and guide him. We'll never know. (BUt that's why we need Srinath to stick around in tests. He should stop with ODIs immediately).

Srinath's one of my all time favourite bowlers. Brilliant to watch. But performance-wise, simply can't put him up there with the greats.
We could do the on-his-day analysis, but it's not the same.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
He is by no means the greatest , or can be considered one of the greatest bowlers

to the Indian team he was probably the 2nd best after Kapil as mentioned heaps before, but as a servant for India he has done well or maybe just has , in achieving something for India in terms of being an opening Bowler and rated as India's " Best opening bowler " for quite a while , i think he has matured on well and has gone better as time as ,

Now we see a change in Srinath , he is concentrating A LOT on line and length and has done well to encourage and support bowlers like Khan or Nehra, although his fielding hasnt imprved a great deal at all :P

I think thought if Srinath were to retire now for the Indian team it would be a crucial period , as i would rather have him be there for some more years were we can brood some good youngsters coming out of Salvi or whoever good other ones there are , use them as 3rd bowlers or let them open with khan that way srinath still controls the game being 3rd med fast bowler given his consitency so far.

He does deserve a spot somewhere in the 100 i reckon but it would be somewhere near the end of that list,
but Neil can u check on the top 100 Fast bowlers that way we can see a clearer picture..

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
PY said:
AR Caddick

Matches
Wickets
Best Haul
7/46
Average
Five wickets hauls
Scott Muller would almost be a choice before Andy Caddick. That man has a heart the size of a pea. If things do not go his way he cracks the sooks.

Have a look at him trying to field an Andy Bichel boundary in the WC, didn't even dive or slide, just gave up, was a pathetic effort.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: On Neil's list

Choora said:
I would definately rate Srinath ahead of Vaas, Bishop & Alderman.
Erm, OK.

I'll have a pint of whatever he's been drinking if he rates Srinath ahead of Alderman and Bishop!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim, although he made have made a difference in NZ, that's got more to do with the pitch and the lack of quality he'd be replacing, not the fact that he's one of the all time great bowlers.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Srinath is useful, vastly experienced and in the last year or so actually used his head a little.

No more.