• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Upset

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you were talking about ODIs, then Zimbabwe beating Australia in their very first ODI in the 1983 World Cup. Sure Australia were poo back then, still you would of backed Australia to have won.
Well, they were certainly not as good as they had been 3 or 4 years ago, but they still had plenty of quality in that game - they were far, far stronger than they would be 2 years later.

That result truly was a sensational one, but the Zimbabwe team in that game had plenty of high-class players in it too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I always thought the 2005 Multan Test was a bit of an upset. Ashes heroes losing to a side pretty much in tatters? No?
You're just flattering the pommy ego so we'll agree with you, surely? :p

Actually, we probably were favourites at the outset tho. I think we'd won about six or seven series on the bounce at that point (including a win in SA as well as the Ashes) which I believe may be unprecedented for us.

We probably believed our own press a wee bit too much, in fact.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Shabbir Ahmed certainly played a part in the game, a big one in fact, if not perhaps quite on the scale of a Shoaib Akhtar or Danish Kaneria.

Just it's been known for np10 to have words with DB about "bitterness" regarding Shabbir and that match. Doesn't bother me, incidentally - as our friend tec once said, it's not like he was throwing grenades even if his elbow was beyond the tolerance (which we'll never really know whether it was or not).

Either way, that was one of the most annoying Tests in my memory, for multitudes of reasons: bad Umpiring decisions against Trescothick, used though I am to that; and most of all the inability of our middle-order to chase a simple target. Best exemplified by Kevin Pietersen falling to a rubbish delivery from the might of Mohammad Sami. 8-)

Xuhaib

International Coach
Well Shabbir Ahmed certainly played a part in the game, a big one in fact, if not perhaps quite on the scale of a Shoaib Akhtar or Danish Kaneria.

Just it's been known for np10 to have words with DB about "bitterness" regarding Shabbir and that match. Doesn't bother me, incidentally - as our friend tec once said, it's not like he was throwing grenades even if his elbow was beyond the tolerance (which we'll never really know whether it was or not).

Either way, that was one of the most annoying Tests in my memory, for multitudes of reasons: bad Umpiring decisions against Trescothick, used though I am to that; and most of all the inability of our middle-order to chase a simple target. Best exemplified by Kevin Pietersen falling to a rubbish delivery from the might of Mohammad Sami. 8-)
Mohd Sami only telling contribution in test cricket if you are not counting his two demolishin jobs against the Kiwis which I don't since any 140+ seamer who can roll his arm over can get through them.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Actually, we probably were favourites at the outset tho. I think we'd won about six or seven series on the bounce at that point (including a win in SA as well as the Ashes) which I believe may be unprecedented for us.
Yeah, England had come off a sensational run of Test series victories whereas Pakistan had just lost 3-0 to Australia and tied 1-1 with a rather weak West Indies (the 1-1 draw with India away was the only bright spot). On top of which the 2001 England team that beat Pakistan at home was much weaker and were playing against a more formidable Pakistani line-up if memory serves me right.