• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jones vs Nixon --- England WKs

Jones or Nixon

• Jones

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Nixon

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's almost no way James Foster's the best wicketkeeper in the country. He can certainly bat, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Read and Batty are at the very least as good. You'd have to have watched an awful lot of the domestic game, at First-Class level, to know whether most of the other lot (Pipe, for instance) are better or worse, too.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Read and Batty are at the very least as good. You'd have to have watched an awful lot of the domestic game, at First-Class level, to know whether most of the other lot (Pipe, for instance) are better or worse, too.

We already know from a previous post that your appreciation of wicketkeeping skills is zero, so it's not really worth debating any further.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
geraint jones, always quite liked him tbh, feel a bit sorry for him really, but he had his chance and rather spectacularly failed to take it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
tbh this lilian thompson character does for CW what the yorkshire ripper did for door to door salesmen.

Woodster

International Captain
I liked Geraint Jones and was disappointed when he didn't continue to make the impact that he did when he first came on the scene. His keeping did improve but ultimately it was his weight of runs that saw him exit the side and understandably so really.
When he went back to Kent I hoped he scored a ruck of runs but that did not quite materialise either.

He was a definite team player, against the Aussies in 2005, Old Trafford, he had to go out to bat with England needing quick runs to declare and his position in the side under severe scrutiny. He could have nudged it around ensuring a not out, but he blasted 27 off 12 balls, could easily have got out, but did what the team needed.

So I would have Jones over Nixon any day in Test cricket.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
tbh this lilian thompson character does for CW what the yorkshire ripper did for door to door salesmen.

Next time I see Mrs Leach I'll pass that one on, I'm sure she'll be relieved to know that her daughter's murder has resulted in such side splitting humour.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've gone for Nixon.

He might well have been one of the worst American presidents, only marginally better than the idiot Jimmy Carter, but I'm sure he would have been a better gloveman than Geraint Jones.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
On that subject, glancing at the thread out of the corner of my eye, it's probably now reached 50 occasions when I've thought for half a second the title read "James Nixon". *Sigh*

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nixon was a poor choice amongst poor options. English selections are flushed with conservatism. The fact you had to dig up a 36 year old who was decidedly average shows there's something drastically wrong somewhere. Alec Stewart probably would have been a better choice if you were determined to 'go old'

Virtually no good wicketkeeper batsmen? I think there's a few.
Nixon was a good choice, he had a good WC, one of very few England players who can actually say that.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
List of Pommie Wicket-keepers by county

Lancashire: Luke Sutton (BA-32), Paul Horton (BA-45)
Not a wicketkeeper. Try Gareth Cross.

As for Jones vs. Nixon, it's a pretty redundant question to ask at this point in time. Neither are ever going to get anywhere near the England side again (although either would be an improvement on Prior.) But for what it's worth, I'd go Jones. His keeping had improved beyond recognition by the time he was dropped and he was atleast as good as Read with the gloves when Fletcher decided to play Rafa Benitez. Nixon was never anything more than a stopgap.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
And Jones is an Aussie.
To be fair Ambrose isn't not Australian....

The fact Nixon played doesn't show there's anything wrong anywhere. He was a good choice among poor options. It's no fault, nor anything to do with selectorial conservativism, that there aren't many good one-day batsmen in England, never mind those who can also keep wicket. It's just the way things are. Selectors can do no more than make the best of what is available. Nixon was the best option at that point in time. No more, no less. If there are so many good one-day wicketkeeper-batsmen, name 'em. Rather than just making assumptions. Most wicketkeeper-batsmen in this country average in the low 20s or even the teens in the one-day game. Read is the only one who's ever made any impression, and he'd just looked unutterably clueless in the Champions Trophy.
I'd disagree there. Nixon may well have been the best option, but a coupla months before the only ODI tournament that really matters an arse isn't the time to be introducing an uncapped 36-year-old. It was a tacit admission that all of our selectors' "planning" over the preceeding 4 years had amounted to squat. If Nixon was the best option he should've been picked long before.

I actually would agree that it wasn't a conservative selection tho; rather it was the mother of all Hail Marys that (semi) paid off.

List of Pommie Wicket-keepers by county

Hampshire: Tom Burrows (BA-23), Nic Pothas (BA-40[Possibility after qualification?])
Yorkshire: Simon Guy (BA-16), Gerard Brophy (BA-32 [Chance once qualified?])
Pothas is qualified now I think. I'm pretty sure he took out UK citizenship about a year ago & debuted for Hants in 2002. Nothwithstanding the fact that he's 34 & a Greek Saffie, he's possibly still the best option if we were selecting without an eye on the future.

Brophy was gash in 2006 tho, did rally slightly last year, but his season's average doesn't comapre well to (say) Read or Ambrose.

Was a lorry driver to be fair.