• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will Open at Bristol??

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kevin Shine has a real selection dilemma as everyone who has opened in the opening friendlies has excelled. Matt Wood is in good nick while Peter Bowler has an 80-odd and 131 to his name, Piran Holloway is in devastating form while Aaron Laraman has surprised a few people with his clean hitting and selection of shots at the the top of the order. It was Rob Turner's go today as he clocked a century against Loughborough UCCE at Taunton.
Who will miss out at Taunton?? Though it would never happen, Marcus Trescothick without a competitive game and poor winter form would seem the obvious one but I expect it to be Trescothick and Wood or Holloway to open.

The bowling meanwhile is equally interesting. Matt Bulbeck (sorry Anna...) seems to have disappeared off the scene completely with no appearances so far and not even a mention. If he's injured then no one's saying anything. In his place, Simon Francis has been given a run out several times. I imagine Johnson and McLean will open and Steffan Jones deserves his spot after some superb bowling and a wonderful blast with the bat against Glamorgan. Aaron Laraman should fill the last seamer slot and that would just about make us the strongest nine in Div 2. Will Keith Dutch get his chance especially with Blackwell's bowling having vastly improved (a Michelle against Loughborough...) If Dutchie does miss out then it will be harsh after a five wicket haul and a match winning effort with Matt Wood against Hampshire in the one day friendly.

My guess for Bristol is:
Trescothick, Holloway, Burns, Cox, Bryant, Blackwell, Dutch, Laraman, Jones, Johnson and McLean.

A very tasty looking combination of batting and bowling with endless possibilities. Not a weak batsman there either.....

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wicket Keeping....

Spot the deliberate mistake! No keeper! That was deliberately (honest :lol: :lol: ) done as Rob Turner was injured and had to retire today. If he's fit then I expect Dutch to miss out but if not Piran to take the gloves.

Frome Exile

Cricket Spectator
Turner "injured"?

Was this definitely a real injury? As it came immediately after lunch, I'd assumed it was a run-of-the-mill retirement in a friendly to give Blackie a bit of a dash with the bat.
I'm pretty sure Cric-Info still record such things as "retired hurt".

As to the openers, I wouldn't be surprised if there's actual pressure from the ECB to make Trescothick play (rather an interesting turnaround) as they'll be desperate for him to get some form before the international summer in order to justify his contract.

Despite the excellence of all those who've opened in the friendlies, I'd still like to see Wood get the nod. I'm sure Bowler's experience will leave him better able to cope with being the one who's forced to endure a stop-start early season.

I'm pretty sure the idea of using Laraman to open will be limited to pyjama cricket (if it happens at all, that is!).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeh, what on earth has happened to Bulbeck??

he was there today, bowled a bit during the warmup, did some exercises, yet he hasnt even had a warmup game??

The Loughbourough keeper got injured, standing up to quite a quick bowler, but batted and guided them to a draw...

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Turner retired 'hurt' as the digital thing said, then came out to keep, taking several stunning catches. I don't think he's injured!

originally posted by Langeveldt
Yeh, what on earth has happened to Bulbeck??

he was there today, bowled a bit during the warmup, did some exercises, yet he hasnt even had a warmup game??
I've a feeling he might have had an injury recently, as he wasn't bowling full tilt and seemed a little careful with his action, but that's just my observation.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Be fair though Neil, they did last 6 balls between them - probably 4 more then we'd have done!