• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steven Smith - Will he go anywhere?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
im waging big money Smith will be the fastest to 30 hundreds
30 before 30 definitely on the money.

And the thing is, I think this is a rate that might yet be sustainable. Even if say he loses that buzzword known as form, or his technique gets a bit sloppy like Clarke for example. It's amazing how he's shown his ability to refine so many elements of his technique beyond that which I think I've seen most batsmen are willing to do. The man is a perfectionist.

cricmad

Cricket Spectator
He must be the most improved, most unexpectedly successful cricketer ever. Started as a legspinner who could bat a bit, and now looks like the second coming of Bradman (at-least when batting against India). Not a stats hog who goes awol in tough times either - a super dependable batsman who delivers under pressure time after time, and dreaded by the opposition. Just too good.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He must be the most improved, most unexpectedly successful cricketer ever. Started as a legspinner who could bat a bit, and now looks like the second coming of Bradman (at-least when batting against India). Not a stats hog who goes awol in tough times either - a super dependable batsman who delivers under pressure time after time, and dreaded by the opposition. Just too good.
He's so unselfish as well. Not at all someone who you an claim cares overmuch about personal milestones and stats, he's really all about the team and winning. Won't hesitate to throw his wicket away looking for quick runs, and often just gets out when Aus have almost won.

Victor Ian

International Coach
He's so unselfish as well. Not at all someone who you an claim cares overmuch about personal milestones and stats, he's really all about the team and winning. Won't hesitate to throw his wicket away looking for quick runs, and often just gets out when Aus have almost won.
With successful players how can we tell someone's efforts are less about the milestones and more about the team? In both cases they bat/bowl for as long as they can for the most runs/wickets.

cnerd123

likes this
With successful players how can we tell someone's efforts are less about the milestones and more about the team? In both cases they bat/bowl for as long as they can for the most runs/wickets.
Plus playing for the team = more likely to keep being selected = more opportunities to score more runs/take more wickets for yourself

TheJediBrah

Quite easily IMO. In ODIs especially he always seems to throw his wicket away with the scores 2-200 or something like that looking for the maximum possible score where many players would continue to go at a run a ball or just under until the last few overs. Also his declaration batting in Tests can be hard to watch when he sacrifices himself for seemingly little gain, when he could just keep going and get a not out.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Can you sell me on the point. Give me a couple of examples of Smith throwing his wicket away and Kallis (he gets the selfish tag often) grinding out his average to the teams detriment. (please)

Spark

Global Moderator
Can you sell me on the point. Give me a couple of examples of Smith throwing his wicket away and Kallis (he gets the selfish tag often) grinding out his average to the teams detriment. (please)
He does it hitting out a bit, but most batsmen do.

cnerd123

likes this
I believe the myth of Shiv and Kallis and the like being 'selfish' is more down to them lacking a certain amount of nous/match awareness/adaptability when they are batting rather than actually being selfish. Would like some actual examples too to test that. I remember Shiv failing to shield the tail and choosing to bat at 5/6 vs higher up like at 3 being used as arguments against him for this.

Burgey

I believe the myth of Shiv and Kallis and the like being 'selfish' is more down to them lacking a certain amount of nous/match awareness/adaptability when they are batting rather than actually being selfish. Would like some actual examples too to test that. I remember Shiv failing to shield the tail and choosing to bat at 5/6 vs higher up like at 3 being used as arguments against him for this.
I can cop this when a player is new to a team or inexperienced in general, not when you've played 100 plus tests. You don't get to play that many games at that level unless you have some game sense to you.

cnerd123

likes this
I can cop this when a player is new to a team or inexperienced in general, not when you've played 100 plus tests. You don't get to play that many games at that level unless you have some game sense to you.
But maybe it's the opposite. Maybe they coasted by so far and long into their career based on pure skill and weight of runs that, when these situations presented themselves, they actually hadn't developed the requisite skills/mentality to deal with them, because they never really had to.

Like, if you had a mediocre batsman who also had no game sense/adaptability he wouldn't get far into his career. But these guys were just so prolific and hard to dismiss that they got to the highest level despite lacking those skills, and when they got exposed for it we all just accused them of being selfish instead.

Burgey

I get what you're saying but I don't buy it wrt those players, or indeed someone like Boycott for that matter.

cnerd123

likes this
I get what you're saying but I don't buy it wrt those players, or indeed someone like Boycott for that matter.
Well Boycott is quite openly selfish. Kallis and Shiv to me always seemed to just go in a trance and bat meditatively. I can see how trying to snap out of that trance and try to bat in a more dynamic, situation-based manner could just be a skill they never developed.

Which is selfish in its own way tbf.

Daemon

You think I'm going to spend all my time digging through old archives?

Lol you kid

Top_Cat

Personally with regards Kallis and Chanderpaul, they molded themselves into what the team needed because they didn't have a strong identity themselves. Early Kallis always seemed paralysed and shotless, fairly sure his bowling was what kept him in the team. Early Chanderpaul always seemed to be in support of the Brian Lara show.