• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

my worst game, my first game

Langeveldt

Soutie
my worst game.

19 and 10-0-84-1.

It was about 32C and I was bowling uphill at some complete tosser who wouldn't even shake my hand afterwards..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
6 and 1-0-21-0.

Yesterday was pretty poor too...

0 (slogging in a reduced game of 15 overs) and a dropped catch (man went on to hit 2 fours and a six before being caught behind spectacularly), no bowling. I had fun though and the rest of the team was pretty crap too.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
My worst game was a final not so long ago. I was batting at 5 and got half way in to bat when the umpires decided that we'd have drinks. A short while later I got a yorker first up and got bowled. Late on day 1 I strained my calf so I could hardly walk on day 2. The captain put me at gully where I proceeded to put down 3 catches. Two of the catches involved me staggering towards skied balls and having to lunge at the end. Why couldn't he have put me at 1st slip. Nothing went there all day. Luckily we still won the final but no thanks to me.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh, didnt mention the game that I came up to bowl, and a load of back muscles all tore at once.. Possibly the most painful thing ive experienced, apparently the non striking batsman could hear something going :(

Even worse, was the bollocking I got.. ive never been bollocked for getting hurt before, I guess there is a first time for everything.. Our esteemed coach made me field in the slips for 5 overs before I slowly went off....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Oh, didnt mention the game that I came up to bowl, and a load of back muscles all tore at once.. Possibly the most painful thing ive experienced, apparently the non striking batsman could hear something going :(
Bowling leg-spin??

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yep... Not having much of a run up can put a lot of stress on the back muscles, because what pace there is needs to be generated with the upper body..

Mr Mxyzptlk

I understand the basic mechanics, but I just find it a bit shocking that a spinner could sustain such substantial damage whilst running in. You should contact the Guiness Book of Records about that. Fascinating.

ash chaulk

International Captain
what about scoring -37 from 4 overs and 1-0-0-35 in indoor cricket..... wasn't me but they were in my team

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Yep... Not having much of a run up can put a lot of stress on the back muscles, because what pace there is needs to be generated with the upper body..
Oh.

I have a slow 8 pace run-up...maybe I should consider changing it?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Each to their own.

Spinners' approaches are all about attaining balance and momentum.
Agree - but Langeveldt's story kinda put me off it a bit.

My coach has been sayin I should approach the wicket quicker for ages too - but meh.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not a problem.. Unless like me you have back muscles apparently made of paper...

Ive been to hell and back with my action, had to change it because I had an excessive pivot and it was putting strain on me left knee.. Buggered that up!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
I just invented the reverse pull - and got out with it. Has anyone ever tried that before?
Gough has played it before I believe, so you didn't invent it! :p

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
I just invented the reverse pull - and got out with it. Has anyone ever tried that before?
Believe me, you didn't 'invent' that shot. I've been playing that forever in backyard cricket, and so have many others im guessing. :happy:

Haffy

Cricket Spectator
Tom Halsey said:
i saw some south african dude get out playin a reverse pull to darren lehmann...........ive tried it once in the nets and it got an edge and hit me in the helmet