Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Malcom Marshall was the best Pacer ever....Akram!

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    Originally posted by Top_Cat
    Holding maybe but I dunno if Curtly was quite as proficient at dismantling top-order batsmen until later in his career. From 1991 until around 1994, Curtly was just unstoppable, though...........
    Come on.... when Ambrose started Marshall was still around to do the damage, but once the responsibility shifted he basically blasted through innings with able support from Walsh and Bishop in some occasions.But he was the man after Marshall was gone.No doubt about it.

Hadlee was one of the greatest and his stats prove it.But I think people like Marshall, Lilee,Holding and others just possessed that aura that could dismiss a batsman before a ball was bowled and that's an area where Hadlee lacked.
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Come on.... when Ambrose started Marshall was still around to do the damage, but once the responsibility shifted he basically blasted through innings with able support from Walsh and Bishop in some occasions.But he was the man after Marshall was gone.No doubt about it.

Hadlee was one of the greatest and his stats prove it.But I think people like Marshall, Lilee,Holding and others just possessed that aura that could dismiss a batsman before a ball was bowled and that's an area where Hadlee lacked.
    Yeah, you're right. Don't get me wrong, Curtly was one of my most hated bowlers (in terms of how he used to regularly destroy the Aussies ) and I guess that's why us Aussies tend to give Hadlee much credit. My attitude to Curtly went something like this: "Geez he's destroying us again but damn, he looks good doing it!"
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Banned
    Originally posted by royGilchrist

Once retired McGrath will put up a strong case for the best ever.

Wasim said Marshall is the best because he is playing for Hampshire and Marshall is dead, if these two weren not true he would probably not say that.
    I don't think Akram said that just because he's going to play for Hamshire for which Marshall used to play. I consider myself very fortunate to have seen M Marshall in his prime, i think Marshall was the best ever & the most feared bowler to have ever lived!

Yeah, if not the best, Malcome was probably among the top three pacers of all time, pure class.

I wonder what Akram has to say about his protege Nehra? surely Waseem must be full of praises for the best left armer in the game tday!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I wonder what Akram has to say about his protege Nehra? surely Waseem must be full of praises for the best left armer in the game tday!
    Zaheer Khan doesn't come into it? How about Chaminda Vaas??

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Hadlee was brilliant too. I find it impossible to separate Marshall, Hadlee and Lillee of guys I've personally seen bowl. McGrath is yet to retire so I can't really make any firm conclusions about him as yet but when he retires, I won't be surprised if he has a similar or better record than all those guys.
    But would that mean he's a better bowler than the other mentioned in this thread?

For me, no it wouldn't.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Zaheer Khan doesn't come into it? How about Chaminda Vaas??
    Or himself...

Rik
    I remember "The Analyst" Simon Hughes walking out to the wicket, getting a nasty ball that they appealed for caught behind, then he realised that the next 5 balls would be bowled by Malcom Marshall and he walked off
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Rik
    Originally posted by vandemataram
    Look what happens when someone makes a silly comment and then some people take it to heart...

State 12th Man
    Hadlee was medium pace for most of his career, just like Kapil dev, and its just a personal thing but its a bit of an apples and oranges scenario for me when comparing these two to the others who had most of their success with express pace.

Still Hadlee was one heck of a bowler, aussies would vouch for that, beautiful control over swing and seam, but thats why I think its not a fair comparison. Control over swing and seam with medium pace is a completely different thing than it is with express speed.

Just my opinion though.

Tim
    Ok point taken Roy

So where do Joel Garner and Andy Roberts stand in the ratings ?
    "And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it" - Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    When you look back at it the West Indies had a heap of fantastic fast bowlers - Marshall, Ambrose, Holding , Walsh, Garner, Roberts,Bishop (in his prime). Even the next rung down with - Croft, Daniel, Patterson etc. What a choice.

IMO Marshall, Lillee, Holding and Ambrose are the top shelf fast bowlers in that they had pace and could move the ball about as well. Guys like McGrath and Hadlee are on the next peg in that they were good at what they could do - line and length and accuracy but couldn't blast batsmen out.

Statistics will probably show that they are all comparable but when rating fast bowlers the top four are the best.

Originally posted by The Argonaut
    When you look back at it the West Indies had a heap of fantastic fast bowlers - Marshall, Ambrose, Holding , Walsh, Garner, Roberts,Bishop (in his prime). Even the next rung down with - Croft, Daniel, Patterson etc. What a choice.

IMO Marshall, Lillee, Holding and Ambrose are the top shelf fast bowlers in that they had pace and could move the ball about as well. Guys like McGrath and Hadlee are on the next peg in that they were good at what they could do - line and length and accuracy but couldn't blast batsmen out.

Statistics will probably show that they are all comparable but when rating fast bowlers the top four are the best.
    Couldn't have said it better....really.

State 12th Man
    What about Wasim, Waqar, Imran, and Donald?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information