• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I finally watched this documentary. I missed it when it was on TV, so bought it on DVD from the ABC section of JB Hi-Fi. Wasn't too expensive and though I'll probably never watch it again, I just had to know how they portrayed Indian cricket.

A few things struck me at the end. Firstly, am I the only one who wanted to hit with a cricket bat the Indian fan who punched Greg Chappell? Not even just for punching Chappell, but just the pure idiocy of him. Screaming like a frickin' jackass about the BCCI and Greg Chappell to go away. Its beyond effigy burning, its just purely being a dumbass. To see his reaction from being hit would have been enjoyable.

Secondly, that scene where Chappell finds out about Woolmer's death was very powerful. Not really much more to say, but when that guy (media guy or fan?) was wanting to talk to Chappell right after he has found out about Woolmer, its excruciatingly awkward. I'm surprised Chappell handled himself so well there.

I don't think you can really criticise Chappell for his lack of charisma or physical ability to motivate, because when you look at coaches like Buchanan, John Wright and Duncan Fletcher, who all were good coaches IMO, they hardly purported to the cameras as individuals with flare and the ability to lift the players.

That being said, I think its obvious from the doco + past information that the role of a coach doesn't fit his attributes well. His vision of youth, and blooding the future was a great one (and really, I'm sure the current Indian ODI team was exactly what he wanted under his tenure), but the way he handled not only the media, but the players and board left a lot to be desired.

Everything in life requires a balance. He couldn't be a ***** and let the senior players and BCCI push him around, but at the same time it was stupid for him to step in and think he could act in a crass manner (mind you that wasn't really seen in the doco) and expect to get his own way. He should have played his cards better. Certain things like wanting Tendulkar not to open, and the Ganguly situation obviously (not solely his fault, but he could have handled it way better) were just examples of his inability to handle things.

Its obvious the life he lived for those few years was tough, and his wife made no bones about how tough it was, because she mentioned it almost every time she was on camera (the camera man continually asking her leading questions mind you). I think they should have made mention of the $$$ he was getting, because the way it was presented, it was as if Chappell only agreed to the job for the challenge. Clearly the immense pay would have been a reason too.

Lastly, Chappell's clear disgust for the WC squad he received was quite intriguing. You really can't lead a team to a successful campaign if you have that little faith in your team (and he was right mind you).

Another thing was how badly he fought for Raina to be selected in the WC squad. Raina seems to be the one player he earmarked as the future of Indian cricket. Chappell has obviously seen something in him. Can't wait till he returns to the XI soon. :)

The presentation of the fans was nothing different then we already knew. Passionate, dedicated and sometimes stupid and crazy.

In the end a decent doco, nothing special. It was obviously skewed in Chappell's favour, but there were times when I genuinely felt for him. The time he was punched, and that time when the media bitches were arguing and being dicks and he just walked out.

The DVD has some extras. It has full interviews with Chappell, Dravid, Ganguly and Tom Moody. I've only seen the Chappell one, and he speaks very candidly about how he doesn't think the current set up of Indian cricket will ever allow the team to become #1 in the world. Sadly its true, but what ya gonna do? :(

Btw, just one gripe I had. At the end of the doco there was text stating how Chappell resigned, Woolmer was announced to die of natural causes and then it mentioned how India won the 20/20 World Cup without a coach or any of its ageing superstars... with the clear implication being that Chappell's way was the right way. Fair enough... but it failed to even mention India's away test series victory against England... which heavily involved brilliance from the senior players such as Laxman, Ganguly and Tendulkar.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chappell's clear disgust for the WC squad he received was quite intriguing. You really can't lead a team to a successful campaign if you have that little faith in your team (and he was right mind you).
Well, nah, I don't think he neccessarily was TBH. That team would have beaten Bangladesh probably about 19 times out of 20, if not more.

I don't think you can blame India's abysmal World Cup on anything but an unfortunate freak at absolutely the wrong time.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well, nah, I don't think he neccessarily was TBH. That team would have beaten Bangladesh probably about 19 times out of 20, if not more.

I don't think you can blame India's abysmal World Cup on anything but an unfortunate freak at absolutely the wrong time.
Bangladesh were better prepared that day and deserved to win. I wouldn't put it down to an unfortunate freak or any thing of the sort. Look at how the difference between the fielding between the two sides was.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

India's desire and motivation in that game was pathetic. The fielding was horrible and batting application was a joke. Sehwag, Uthappa and Dhoni's dismissals were piss poor.

Mind you, the fact that the doco managed to take a stab at Ganguly's innings in that match was in poor taste IMO. When going over that match and the result, it mentioned Ganguly's 50, and then said that its slow rate put pressure on the other batsman to score quickly.

What a joke, I reckon the fact that Sehwag, Uthappa, Dravid and Tendulkar all failed at the top of the order may have put some pressure on the other batsman!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bangladesh were better prepared that day and deserved to win. I wouldn't put it down to an unfortunate freak or any thing of the sort. Look at how the difference between the fielding between the two sides was.
Yeah Bangladesh were the better team, sure, but the point I'm making is it was a freak that they were. As I say - I reckon you could replay that match with those exact same teams and 19 times out of 20 at least India would win it.

Their team was an excellent one, it just happened to play awfully below itself in that game, possibly due to the poor motivation Jono mentions above. Normally that might be just 1 bad game. Sadly this time it cost them their place in the main stage of the World Cup.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Whilst the World Cup, and more particularly that Bangladesh game was one of my lowest points as an Indian cricket fan, in hindsight I've accepted it happened and am not that ****ty.

I know you don't like Bangaldesh Richard, but I do and I remember seeing their faces after India lost to SL, and the pure joy really touched me, particularly since I should have been swearing at the TV as it was immediately after India lost the match (Ashraful, Mortaza and a few others were in the stadium).

Secondly, if we went into the first match of the WC with that sort of attitude, we didn't deserve to go any further.

And thirdly the tournament was a farce anyway so who cares? :p;)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah Bangladesh were the better team, sure, but the point I'm making is it was a freak that they were. As I say - I reckon you could replay that match with those exact same teams and 19 times out of 20 at least India would win it.

Their team was an excellent one, it just happened to play awfully below itself in that game, possibly due to the poor motivation Jono mentions above. Normally that might be just 1 bad game. Sadly this time it cost them their place in the main stage of the World Cup.
India would have defeated Bangladesh 19 out of 20 times on that particular day? Not really given how the teams were prepared for the game. It wasn't a freak defeat at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anyone know if the interview was on youtube or can tell me where I can order the DVD from? I'd definitely be interested in seeing it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
India would have defeated Bangladesh 19 out of 20 times on that particular day? Not really given how the teams were prepared for the game. It wasn't a freak defeat at all.
Well, yeah, TBH I think they would. Even with poor preparation, India would normally still easily beat them.

What's more, if things happened again, India might have prepared differently.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whilst the World Cup, and more particularly that Bangladesh game was one of my lowest points as an Indian cricket fan, in hindsight I've accepted it happened and am not that ****ty.

I know you don't like Bangaldesh Richard, but I do and I remember seeing their faces after India lost to SL, and the pure joy really touched me, particularly since I should have been swearing at the TV as it was immediately after India lost the match (Ashraful, Mortaza and a few others were in the stadium).
FFS, I don't "not like" Bangladesh! I'd expect a reasonable person like you to note that. Why on Earth would I have something against the place, or the team? I simply don't take the mad optimistic view that a fair few of the cricket fraturnity do of them. They fully deserved to enjoy the game, of course they did, but TBH - what does that have to do with India?
Secondly, if we went into the first match of the WC with that sort of attitude, we didn't deserve to go any further.
Well TBH teams go into matches, especially of that ilk, with poor attitudes ATT. I don't think you can really say that means said team deserves not to go any further, it's hardly an heinous crime IMO.
And thirdly the tournament was a farce anyway so who cares? :p;)
Well it'd have been a slightly lesser farce had India gone through.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Irrelevent.
Why? Part of the point I make is that India did not have to prepare poorly. It was not the fact that they picked a bad squad, but the fact that they did not prepare as they might have, which caused the biggest problems in that game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FFS, I don't "not like" Bangladesh! I'd expect a reasonable person like you to note that. Why on Earth would I have something against the place, or the team? I simply don't take the mad optimistic view that a fair few of the cricket fraturnity do of them. They fully deserved to enjoy the game, of course they did, but TBH - what does that have to do with India?
Woah, sorry Richard. Just poor wording on my part.