• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ING CUP FINAL: WA versus NSW

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both teams have several current or former international players in their line up, and the game likes like it will be a beauty.
Justin Langer skippering WA and Steve Waugh captaining NSW is a goos how down.
NSW beat WA at this ground last week quite easily, but i dont think its going to be the same this weekend.
Im tipping WA to win by 4 wickets, with a Justin Langer century.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Personally I think NSW will win.
WA will win the toss and bat first to try to put pressure on NSW's run chase. They will start well and Langer will make 76. However there will be a steady fall of wickets until a lower order innings by someone set's them up to launch at 4/190 at the 40th over. However a good spell by Bracken and Bradstreet will cause the wheel's to fall off and they will be dismissed for 247.

NSW's start will be slow as usual and they will be 2-54 after 15 overs. However Steve Waugh will be in the middle with Michael Slater who will be opening again. Slater will then play a few dashing strokes to accelerate the rate, but just as it seem's NSW is getting back in he will get out. Steve and Katich will then rebuild the innings to 3-150 in the 40th over and a tight finish will happen. Steve Waugh will then get out for 84 and the pressure will be on. Katich goes two balls later and NSW are still 95 out with 9 overs to go. Mark Waugh and Clarke won't bother getting their eyes in and start cracking. Going into the 5th over 60 runs is still required for victory, however the way the two are batting there is still hope, however in one twist Clarke leading edges one and enter Brad Haddin. The total slowly comes down and 21 is needed off 2 overs. Some crafty stroke play brings up 2 boundaries in the second last over by Mark Waugh and 2 singles. 11 runs off the last.
Ball 1: Williams to Haddin: Smashed to deep mid wicket but cut off for 2.
Ball 2: Williams to Haddin: Bottom edge sprays down to deep fine leg and a single is run.
Ball 3: WIlliams to M Waugh: Drifts down leg and Mark Waugh guides the ball past the mid wicket fieldsman for 4.
Ball 4: Williams to M Waugh: Short and quick wide.
Ball 4: full outside off missed.
Ball 5: Williams to Waugh: MIssed outside off and Campbell can't hit the stumps and 1 run taken
Ball 6: WIlliams to HAddin: The field's predominantely up as a single would give WA the win. Haddin chips cleverely over mid on and 2 runs are run to give NSW the win

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think that Langer will fail (for the first time in the year) and Goodwin and Hussey will rescue the WA innings and they will get 275 with Goodwin and Hussey both scoreing over 100

The NSSW innings will start slowly and assumming steve waugh plays he will make about 10 before top edging a slog sweep Clarke and thornley will make stacks of runs (like last week) and Mark wauugh will ocme and finish it off with clarke

Simon

it looks like steve waugh will be over his injury by the weekend and is almost certain to play. it would be a shame if either team loses any players with injury, because it is looming as a really good match.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
i think that Langer will fail (for the first time in the year) and Goodwin and Hussey will rescue the WA innings and they will get 275 with Goodwin and Hussey both scoreing over 100

The NSSW innings will start slowly and assumming steve waugh plays he will make about 10 before top edging a slog sweep Clarke and thornley will make stacks of runs (like last week) and Mark wauugh will ocme and finish it off with clarke
Won't Waugh be opening?!

I think that NSW will probably win this match.

They have a good record in WA and I think they will beat them. I think it will be a high scoring match and NSW will win by about 30 runs.

Simon

marc71178 said:
Won't Waugh be opening?!
no he bats lower down for nsw, the order for the game against SA was:
1 Haddin
2 Katich
3 Thornley
4 S Waugh
5 Clarke
6 M Waugh
7 Slater

The order was very similar in the game against WA too, for the final Mark Waugh should bat 3, although thornley scored 74 against WA last week, i dont think hes a number 3.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Last year I saw on Cricinfo that Mark Waugh was opening for NSW. Wow, what a year can do. He's one of the world's best ever ODI opening batsmen in history, I would want him to open.

Simon

you would think he would open, but hes playing very well at 6, hes scored 4 consecutive 40 odds and getting the runs very quickly.

Simon

he was opening at the start of the season, but that wasnt going so well and now at 6 hes in good form.
no reason to change whats working

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he seems in better form now and why not use that? He's a proven international class OD opener...

Simon

that could be an option, idealy for mine nsw's order should look like this;
1 M Waugh
2 Slater
3 S Waugh
4 Clarke
5 Katich
6 Haddin
7 Thornley

but i doubt that will be happening, i wouldnt be surprised for Richards to play and he opens and every pushes down 1 spot.

Last edited:
Thornley was unlunky in there last match. He was looking good and striking the ball well and he smashed one and was caught brilliantly by the bowler. I dont think that Slater should be opening. He is in bad form and when he is opening he always goes out for low scores. I dont even know if he has score a hundred in the ING cup this year. Both Waugh's are fine where they are in my opinion. They are playing really well for NSW.

Simon

i think u will find that slater has never made a list A century, ill look it up though.

Simon

i looked up slaters profile, he has 2 list A centuries, of course there was the one for nsw v eng earlier this summer, im not sure about the other though.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Slater should not even be plaing One Day cricket for NSW he really does struggle in the shorter form of cricket.

He has a pathetic List A domestic avrage at a pathetic strike rate and it's really hard to understand why but the facts are he suck's at One Day cricket.

Haddin should aways open he should never be waisted down the order were he might not get a bat because he is capable of playing the most amazing innings and shots.

Well I remember when he was in the Aussie team and was a great player. I just dont know what happened to him though. Langer replaced him and played really well and ever since Slater has been playing poor cricket. He was out of the NSW team for abit but got back in. I think maybe retirement isn't far away unfortunately:(

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
NSW won the game easy thanks to great bowling from Clarke, Bracken and Bradstreet and S Waugh and Katich with the bat