• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yuvraj Singh's rise

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was hoping Yuvraj would score today, because I’ve been planning on making a thread regarding his ODI exploits for a while, and since he delivered for me, I figured I may as well do it now. Particularly since Manee brought something similar up in the official Pak in India thread.

Its become quite common knowledge that Yuvraj Singh has turned into a fantastic ODI batsman over the last two years. So much so that he’s almost become the marquee player of the Indian ODI batting line-up, possibly taking over from Tendulkar in that sense.

Whilst always a fan of his style, he has probably become my favourite player in international cricket over the last two years, so much so that I am constantly accused by my mates of being homosexually attracted to him due to my fanboy like behaviour when he does anything of any note. The reason for the attention he receives is pretty obvious. He’s an attractive batsman to watch, extremely aggressive, still very young and probably what’s best about him IMO, is his counter-attacking style when his team is staring down the barrel. Today was another example where after steadying the ship following a few wickets, he chose the perfect moment to counter-attack just when Pakistan were beginning to get on top. Added to that is his obvious athleticism, quick-running between the wickets, fantastic fielding and ability to roll his arm over when needed (aspects which were always there) make him a perfect modern ODI player. And now he's become the ODI and 20/20 vice-captain for India, and we've seen during the 20/20 World Cup how brilliant he can be in that format as well.

That being said, its not like Yuvraj has stepped up from a good, solid ODI player to one of the world’s best through a gradual improvement. He was always known to have great promise (evident through his early knocks vs. Australia in the 2000 Champions Trophy and the 2002 NWS final vs. England), however he was extremely inconsistent and during mid to late 2005, when the Indian ODI team was going through its worst patch in the last 5 years (barring this year’s WC debacle), I for one (and I was not alone on these forums) was heavily calling for Yuvraj to be dropped from the ODI team.

I was most vocal about it during India’s tri-series with NZ & Zimbabwe, and during India’s 6-1 series win against Sri Lanka in 2005 (evident here and here He was consistently underperforming, and this was a stage where India were struggling to find their best XI on a consistent basis. Added to that I’ve always been a massive Kaif fan, and as these two were fighting for the same position at the time, I was always backing Kaif (I remember in 2005 digging up a post Liam made in 2003 saying he rated Yuvraj above Kaif, and posting how wrong he was. If he’d dig up that post now 2 years later he’d be able to show how wrong I was). Yuvraj at the time was also reported to apparently have disciplinary problems, including openly having a crack at Dravid who was captain.

His ODI batting average was below 30, and I remember being extremely frustrated when, after a century vs. Zimbabwe, Greg Chappell (who was obviously heavily backing Yuvraj) came out and said something along the lines of “Yuvraj has arrived” or “he’s finally fulfilling his promise.” I can’t quite remember precisely, but I remember thinking it was an absolute joke. Near the end of the SL series, after struggling for the first 5 matches, Yuvi scored a 79* and I specifically remember thinking this may be worse for Indian cricket then good, because it’d guarantee a long stay for Yuvraj. Well since then he has been absolutely phenomenal, and what’s best, unbelievably consistent as well. Rather than a gradual improvement, its as if something clicked inside of him one day (akin to Symonds ever since his ton vs. Pak in the 2003 WC) and he’s become one of the world’s best ODI batsman. I can’t recall too many other players other than Symonds and Yuvraj that went from “promising but pretty much overrated” to “one of the world’s best” in such a quick time, almost skipping the “pretty solid player” stage.

Yuvraj since

I began to really notice his ability to play well when India’s backs were against the wall with this knock vs. South Africa, which I think must have been one of the best counter-attacking ODI innings of recent times. He continued playing knocks like this when the rest struggled such as this, this and this.

You may notice that all those knocks (which I think have been his best since his rise to the top) have come in losses, but whilst I could have posted links to his tremendous match-winning knocks, its these ones in losses which suggest to me he’s the real deal. Rather than being accused of someone that scores when the match is gone, all those knocks actually kept India in the game. It suggests to me his new found hunger to be consistent and play for the team, which was obviously lacking pre-2005.

How good can he get though? He obviously is struggling to make the test team at the moment, and barring a few very good knocks has failed to really impress in the whites with some technical deficiencies exposed on occasion. What pleases me though is his obvious disappointment and frustration with not playing many tests (which he revealed in a recent interview). With Ganguly, Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman obviously ageing and on their way out within the next 2-3 years, he’ll get his opportunity sooner or later. Added to that, he’s still amazingly young for someone that’s been around the international scene for so long. I know there are suggestions that he may replace Laxman soon enough in the test arena, and I do get the feeling that a few tests in a row of Laxman failing will result in Yuvi replacing him. The selectors are looking to send Laxman on their way, and get Yuvi in the test team as soon as possible.

I personally think he’ll go down as one of India’s best ever ODI batsman come the end of his career. Where does he stand among current ODI batsman in your opinion? How much better can he get in this form of the game? And will he ever have a successful test career?

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea his ODI exploits for the last few years have been brilliant. Not sure if he will be as successfull a test batsman when he gets a permanent place but with the big 4 going out soon & not too many other middle-order batsmen stepping up other than Utappha from what i've seen (mind my lack of knowledge of Indian cricket), Indian's batting could be built around him in the coming years.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He is still not the best ODI player, not difinitively anyway. His batting average in the last 30 matches is 42.32, Sachin 46.92. Even Dhoni averages almost 40. This is probably his peak, and as peaks go, its a good one, but hardly earth shattering.

I don't rate him much, and I won't until he starts scoring in tests. But he has been a very good ODI player lately, though I don't see him all time great ODI material. I don't think he has done all that much to make that case.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He is still not the best ODI player, not difinitively anyway. His batting average in the last 30 matches is 42.32, Sachin 46.92. Even Dhoni averages almost 40. This is probably his peak, and as peaks go, its a good one, but hardly earth shattering.

I don't rate him much, and I won't until he starts scoring in tests. But he has been a very good ODI player lately, though I don't see him all time great ODI material. I don't think he has done all that much to make that case.
I don't expect you to rate him considering you pretty much ignore ODIs, but the fact that the majority of my post pointed to ODIs should at least give you some direction as to the fact it was pretty much talking about limited over cricket :p

He's currently a more valuable player to Indian ODI cricket than Sachin (IMO of course) because of his other attributes IMO (fielding and bowling (I think he's better at the shortened form than Sachin there)). Dhoni called him India's best player today in the after-match interview, and I tend to agree.

Secondly, an average of 50+ over two years in varied conditions worldwide is pretty damn good, but what I'm not surprised at all is that you'd simply go to averages without even looking at the conditions and situations of the knocks, and simply make a judgment based on that.

The actual attacks, matches and conditions as to which he's scored his runs against compare much better than Dhoni (who is still a very good ODI batsman, but far more limited). You really should stop relying solely on stats SS, because you miss half of what this game is about, and it seriously hampers your credibility of judging a player.

I also don't believe that as a batsman, he's peaked at 26. Most batsman peak much much later. If a serious knee injury didn't stop him, I don't see any reason for him declining in the future with regards to limited over cricket. More experience and more responsibility should only help him eventually gain a 40+ average. I'm not saying he's definitely destined to be an all-time great ODI batsman ala Bevan, Viv, Mark Waugh etc. However when it comes to Indian cricket, he'll be right up there. Obviously Tendulkar and Ganguly head the list. Then you have Dravid, Jadeja, Azharuddin and Sidhu. I can see Yuvraj surpassing all of them come the end of his career quite comfortably.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always rated Yuvraj as the best ODI batsman in world cricket and his knock today continues my rating. An average of over 50 in his last 60 matches shows that after the initial period, he has been very consistant and needless to say how quickly he scores.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah he has been pretty good in one dayers recently and is probably india's most valuable one day bat right now, as for all-time status, he has a loooong way to go before even bringing that into a discussion...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anil I greatly respect your opinion regarding Indian cricket history, so I'd be interested in your opinions as to where you think he'll likely end up among India's best ODI batsman of all time? In particular that of Azhar, Jadeja, and even Dravid.

adharcric

International Coach
Best batsman in the Indian side, yeah. He's more consistent than Sachin (these days) and more proven against quality opposition than Dhoni. Best ODI batsman in the world? Don't think so. One of the Aussies I'd say, but he's close. Can't wait for him to get a real shot in the test side, though I'd rather have Laxman fire against Australia if it means Yuvi must wait longer.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the reason why Yuvi is so damn good in ODIs now is the fact that he has understood the art of building an innings. That is why I think Jono's comparison of him with Symonds is apt. Both of them are destructive at the death overs but it is the fact that both are now sort of settling into being able to play out the middle or early overs (in case they lose wickets up front) that is making them special. I would have them both as joint top players in ODI cricket at the moment, given their fielding and bowling abilities as well.

In fact, I think Marlon Samuels is another guy who has the talent to be up there along with Symonds and Yuvraj, if he can get some brains into his batting and some discipline into his system.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Anil I greatly respect your opinion regarding Indian cricket history, so I'd be interested in your opinions as to where you think he'll likely end up among India's best ODI batsman of all time? In particular that of Azhar, Jadeja, and even Dravid.
in my opinion he is already ahead of jadeja, but is behind azhar and dravid right now...if he keeps up this kind of form and consistency for the next 7-8 years or so, he could very likely finish up behind tendulkar for sure and possibly ganguly as well(who is a clear no: 2 in the indian one day batting scheme of things)...if he actually improves over the course of the next few years, he could conceivably pass ganguly in the all-time stakes...but all this is conjecture at this point, he has the potential, whether he realizes it is something we have to wait and see...

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
He is the best ODI batsmen in the world? Sachin has scored more runs than him in 2007. Sorry.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry?

a) Who claimed he's the best ODI batsman in the world? He's obviously one of the world's best, and I don't see how that can be denied. I think Ponting is the best ODI batsman in the world, followed closely by a pack lead by Hussey, Symonds, Yuvraj, Tendulkar, Hayden, Yousuf, Sanga etc.

b) Who said we were were only talking about 2007? Considering I've been talking about the last 2 years, since India's reform in ODI cricket

c) Yuvraj has been more consistent than Sachin, but I'm hardly going to get into a Sachin vs. Yuvraj debate, since it's stupid. But I think if you actually look past the stats (though the stats show it anywway), Yuvraj over the said period has been India's best batsman, better than Dravid, Sachin, Dhoni etc. because of the situations in which he's scored his runs.
I think the reason why Yuvi is so damn good in ODIs now is the fact that he has understood the art of building an innings. That is why I think Jono's comparison of him with Symonds is apt. Both of them are destructive at the death overs but it is the fact that both are now sort of settling into being able to play out the middle or early overs (in case they lose wickets up front) that is making them special. I would have them both as joint top players in ODI cricket at the moment, given their fielding and bowling abilities as well.
Yeah I think what makes Symonds and Yuvraj probably the two best middle order ODI batsman around now is their ability to settle the innings when their side is in trouble, and then at the right time counter-attack with a blitz. They both do it so well, great limited overs cricketers.

Last edited:

haroon510

International 12th Man
the dude is my favorite cricketer in indian team... love seeing him play..

Disappointed that you did not mention his movie-star good looks:@ :@
i will tell u who has the movie star look in indian team... lol it is jugander sharma

Salmon Butt

Cricket Spectator
He's very good and a clean hitter of the ball.If anyone has seen him bat live at a ground,you would have heard the sound of bat hitting ball even inside a noisy stadium.

I still think he needs to fire under conditions which are more suited to bowling.He has come out well in tough situations(not necessarily tough conditions).Even the 2nd ODI where there was some amount of swing to go with the bounce,he didn't look all that convincing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sachin: 8,55,71,94,30,0,16,43,79,47,72,21,4,99,29
Yuvraj: 45,71,72,18,28,10,121,39,1,6,15,58,34,77

Is Yuvraj really more consistent?

Note: I am not saying anything about Tendulkar vs. Yuvraj - I am just saying that his record is good but hardly amazing.

pasag

RTDAS
Good call with the Symonds comparison. They're both the perfect (middle order) ODI players really. Can play long innings if a collapse occurs and save the side, can both hit big when coming in in the last few overs at will if that is the situation also. Both brilliant in the field and can chip in with some overs too. Their value to their respective teams in ODIs are absolutely immense.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I find it hard to comment on Yuvraj - nearly 26 and he has almost played 200 ODIs. His career stats are good, but he is really prospering now.

I can only hope he can transfer these skills into the longer format, but I have my doubts.

speedy

Cricket Spectator
A very good batsman and joy to watch, especially in T20. I think he is way too aggresive for test matches until he matures a little bit more. Looking forward to his batting in the next ODI!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin: 8,55,71,94,30,0,16,43,79,47,72,21,4,99,29
Yuvraj: 45,71,72,18,28,10,121,39,1,6,15,58,34,77

Is Yuvraj really more consistent?

Note: I am not saying anything about Tendulkar vs. Yuvraj - I am just saying that his record is good but hardly amazing.
Yuvraj is very consistant but this is on the basis of his last 60 or so matches rather than his last 14 (quick count) innings.