• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watching cricket when you should have been somewhere else.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Being a conscientious chap and all around good egg:ph34r: , I've only once ever skived off either school or work to attend or watch cricket.
The first day of the 4th Test between England and West Indies at Headingley in 1976. What a great day it was though - West Indies made 437-9 - that would be a lot of runs now but at that time it was almost unheard of in one day.

With the wall to wall TV coverage of cricket around the world I don't know how the kids of today manage to think up enough illnesses to stay home.:)

iamdavid

International Debutant
Used to always get out of school for the first day of the Brisbane test...and school was usually out for the summer by the time the second test rolled around....Unfortunately this year with work its not so easy :dry:

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
When I was 11 years old, we had a friend's house nearby school. In the lunch break, we used to run there and watch India vs Srilanka test match at Kanpur for as few minutes as we could. 8-)

Days of Grace

International Captain
Wasn't there a guy who bought his new wife straight from the chapel to the basin to watch the cricket? Cricket before ***, that's a bit too far isn't it?

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Frankly, that sounds like its just a story. But if it's true, tsk tsk, unless the wife likes cricket that much too.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I used to always get 'sick' on the first day of the first test each summer back in my school days.

I mean if I have a day to celebrate the Queen's Birthday why not celebrate cricket?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rarely needed to skip school for cricket TBH - just brought my portable radio and earphones. :cool:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I got a phonecall from school during the '92 World Cup final.

There were only 2 cricketers in my year (a sad reflection of British sports) and neither of us were at school. They put 2 and 2 together and called us both at home to check why we were not at school.

Luckily for us, we were at our seperate homes with our fathers. Our Dads both took the calls and said we were sick :)

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
My school was pretty great that way.......we used to get a school holiday when an ODI or Test Match was being played in Town and match tickets at a discounted rate!!

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
My school was pretty great that way.......we used to get a school holiday when an ODI or Test Match was being played in Town and match tickets at a discounted rate!!
Haha, awesome.
I go to a Montessori high school (if you don't know what that is look it up) so I get to choose what I do and when I do it so they're completely fine with me going to the cricket in the afternoon as long as I do work in the morning. Probably also helps I hang out and help at the cricket museum when I go to the Basin.