• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Favorite Rival

haroon510

International 12th Man
With Sri Lankan tour of Aus.. the talk of rivals such as Warne vs Murali has again become a spot light in media.. we have had many discusions about who is better than other in this forum. well in this topic i don't want to discuss this. However, what i wanted to know is that who is ur favoriate rival? In recent times we have had Warne vs Murali, Sachin vs Lara and shoaib vs Lee. i can't remember other once since i am a very recent fan of cricket. name the pair and why that pair is your favorite.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
With Sri Lankan tour of Aus.. the talk of rivals such as Warne vs Murali has again become a spot light in media.. we have had many discusions about who is better than other in this forum. well in this topic i don't want to discuss this. However, what i wanted to know is that who is ur favoriate rival? In recent times we have had Warne vs Murali, Sachin vs Lara and shoaib vs Lee. i can't remember other once since i am a very recent fan of cricket. name the pair and why that pair is your favorite.
I think most of such stuff is painted by the media to add a bit more spice to particular series and there is no rivaliery such between players there is only healty competiton. 8-)

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think most of such stuff is painted by the media to add a bit more spice to particular series and there is no rivaliery such between players there is only healty competiton. 8-)
Real rivalries tend to be far more disappointing, nobody really wants to see Sreesanth and Symonds trying to out do each other.

Was it Shah and Yurjav in England? That was great.

I always did love seeing Fleming and Ponting out there.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Totally unjustified rolleyes. Go back to school son. They are rivals, because they play on opposide teams. Pretty damn obvious.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know they don't come into direct contact too much, but Graeme Smith and Stephen Fleming appear to be pretty fierce rivals. Makes SA-NZ contests even more intriguing.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Shoaib akhtar vs Brett lee

world cup 2003 was momeriable for me because they were both trying thier best to pass the 100 mph..

bond21

Banned
McGrath vs touring batting line-up

He basically says theyre all his bunnies, which they do eventually turn out to be.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I know the theory is there, but am I the only who finds a bowler/bowler rivalry or batsman/batsman rivalry a bit impractical?

Batsman/bowler on the other hand is a bit like a pie and sauce or your respective nations traditonal combination.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Loved Steve Waugh's on-field confrontations with Ambrose and particularly Lara. All three players were so brilliant and highly respected, and verbal confrontation just seemed to bring out the best in each of them.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Loved Steve Waugh's on-field confrontations with Ambrose and particularly Lara. All three players were so brilliant and highly respected, and verbal confrontation just seemed to bring out the best in each of them.
that reminds me of Shaoib akhter vs Steve waugh world cup 99..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Donald vs. Atherton, nothing can beat this duo...
Agree TBH. There's never been a more thrilling passage of cricket in my time than fourth evening Trent Bridge 1998. Though they say Walsh vs Atherton at Sabina Park in 1994 was on the same scale - sadly I have only ever seen very brief highlights of that. And the fact that they'd faced-off before added to that to a small extent.

As far as other long-term rivalries are concerned... as David mentioned Stephen Waugh vs Ambrose and Lara was incredible of times... Warne vs Collingwood was usually comic, if not really exactly dignified... they said Allan Border vs Malcolm Marshall was always worth watching. Best-batsman-around-vs-best-bowler around usually is really. Donald vs Tendulkar was one such.

As gb though I find Warne-vs-Murali, SRT-vs-BCL, Shoaib-vs-Brett etc. a bit tiresome really. Grew sick of the Warne-vs-Murali question long, long ago, as did most old-time CWers.