• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest-ever left-arm finger-spinner

Who was the greatest-ever left-arm finger-spinner

• Total voters

neville cardus

International Debutant
This was, fifty years ago, one of the most forcibly-hammered debates in the cricketing world, but, after Yorkshire stopped mass-producing the subject-matter, it faded conspicuously into the background. In true CricketWeb style, however, let's have ourselves a go at reviving it.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rhodes.

Great list apart from the last 3 though - anyone who's not from the subcontinent and didn't play in the uncovered-wickets era can't have any real case TBH. Iqbal Qasim > Tufnell, MSP and Vettori IMO.

The 4 consecutive Yorkshire boys all basically have a case for being as good as one another though really. :cool:

EDIT: Wardle, fingerspinner? :unsure: Thought he bowled both styles.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No way was Underwood better than any of Peate, Peel, Rhodes and Verity. He wasn't from Yorkshire!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I bowled one in 2004, and I'm not even a spinner.

Needless to say, I worried about what was in the pitch.

(It hit the stumps though)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Underwood was quality. I never hold too much weight to the comments of individuals but this is what Greg Chappel had to say.

Greg Chappell said:
Derek Underwood was one of the most demanding bowlers I have played against under all conditions....he was probably the best bowler that I ever faced.

Underwood has not been given the recognition he deserves.
And he faced some pretty special bowlers.

Debatable whether Underwood was a true LAO. Bowled more cutters than anything else.

Anyway, for me the genius of Verity to claim the above title.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Rhodes.

Great list apart from the last 3 though - anyone who's not from the subcontinent and didn't play in the uncovered-wickets era can't have any real case TBH. Iqbal Qasim > Tufnell, MSP and Vettori IMO.
Fair enough (except in Vettori's case); I should've given this more consideration. I doubt, though, that it'll make any difference to the ultimate result.

The 4 consecutive Yorkshire boys all basically have a case for being as good as one another though really. :cool:
Those who saw the first three reckoned that Peate was the best.

Wardle, fingerspinner? :unsure: Thought he bowled both styles.
He did indeed, but that hardly excludes him. :blink:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
God-damn-it boy, look before you vote! I've lost count of the times you've said "change my vote". And yes, it's your birthday but that's no excuse!
Yeah I am pretty guilty on that, I don't rate Underwood as highly as Rhodes, but it's not by much.