• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest-ever left-arm finger-spinner

Who was the greatest-ever left-arm finger-spinner

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Surprised nobody has mentioned Bedi. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't he generally recognized as the best left-armer?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprised nobody has mentioned Bedi. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't he generally recognized as the best left-armer?
He certainly deserves to be ranked among the very finest, though I don't think too many outside of India would consider him the greatest of all.

Struggling to pick a winner in this one tbh - I'm leaning toward Verity, but it could so easily be Underwood or Rhodes too.

A little disturbed by the votes for Monty though...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He certainly deserves to be ranked among the very finest, though I don't think too many outside of India would consider him the greatest of all.

Struggling to pick a winner in this one tbh - I'm leaning toward Verity, but it could so easily be Underwood or Rhodes too.

A little disturbed by the votes for Monty though...
I thought Monty was the traditionally humorous final option.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Bishen Singh Bedi, the epitome of delightful classical left-arm spin.....lost nothing in comparison to his illustrious colleagues Prasanna and Chandra.
A dream trio

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Bishen Singh Bedi, the epitome of delightful classical left-arm spin.....lost nothing in comparison to his illustrious colleagues Prasanna and Chandra.
A dream trio
Certainly unparalled in the fourth innings - but overall no way better than guys like Rhodes IMO.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I'm struggling to grasp Monty's picking up more votes than Edmund Peate, the man who won this type of bowling its first proper renown. Many ancient critics rated him ahead of both Rhodes and Verity, and, besides, he was far more interesting a character than the mind-numbingly genteel Panesar.

Glacier

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I voted for Monty because I thought nobody else would vote for him. Otherwise its Bedi for mine.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly unparalled in the fourth innings
He wasn't bad in the third either - averaging 23.16 in the third-innings in India, 13.32 in the fourth-innings in India. However, even outside of India his fourth-innings record (average 18.21) is impressive, though this does total just 14 wickets.
but overall no way better than guys like Rhodes IMO.
He might have been had he played his entire career in the days of uncovered wickets, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm struggling to grasp Monty's picking up more votes than Edmund Peate, the man who won this type of bowling its first proper renown. Many ancient critics rated him ahead of both Rhodes and Verity, and, besides, he was far more interesting a character than the mind-numbingly genteel Panesar.
TBH, even on such a high-calibre board as this, I'd be surprised if that many had even heard of Peate and Peel before now - several may not even know the first thing about Rhodes, Verity, Lock et al.

Even myself I've read perhaps three or four references to Peel, and one of those is the famous Hawke incident. Very little of the actual calibre of his bowling.

I am very much prepared to believe Peate may have been the best of the Famous Four, certainly, and if votes were only allowed to be cast by those who were well-informed of each of the pre-1970 (plus Bedi and Qasim) lot, I'd be surprised if Peate were not to be right up there.

Nonetheless, for me the legends I have read of Rhodes well exceed those I've read of Peate, and hence, I voted for him. I can't believe there'd have been that much between the two, nor Verity, nor Peel, either.

Chubb

International Regular
Does anyone else think that Derek Underwood is pretty much as close as we are likely to get to seeing how Sydney Barnes bowled? I mean although different armed the ball turns the same way, and Barnes must have got similar effects to the ball shown in the link by Silentstriker, though Barnes apparently denied he cut the ball like Underwood did, saying he spun it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So far as pace and still turning the ball is concerned, undoubtedly so.

Barnes, however, undoubtedly had more variation and, unlike Underwood, also still offered huge turn when the wicket wasn't rain-affected or just plain dry TSW.

So Underwood on a wet-and-dried wicket might almost be a replay of Barnes, but even then only might almost.