• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

JBH001

International Regular
45 minutes to read the last 50 or so pages accumulated in about 6 hours!

Some nice reading though. However, I dont see whats so flash about those news presenters - although, that said, I did have a little thing for Natalie Barr when I lived in OZ.

Anyway, enough about presenters! :D

masterblaster

International Captain
Just got back home from Day 3 at the WACA. Glad I made the trip today! Brilliant day's cricket once again with India looking favourites to win this thing, although I'd never discount the Australians.

Watching VVS Laxman bat was awesome today, and we managed to meet and greet all of the Indian Cricketers. Got to tell Kumble my congratulations on his 600 wickets, which was the highlight of the day.

Here are some image attachments for your viewing pleasure. Notice I'm the guy with the stripe t-shirt. I was also on TV for a good 15 seconds, as the Aussies in front of us were wearing Watermelon Hats and were the centre of attention. When the Channel 9 Camera was on them, it got a pretty good shot of me too and I gave the obligatory wave hello to the camera.

Overall had a great day, hopefully India wins this thing.

Attachments

JBH001

International Regular
Top days play though, another roller coaster day playing havoc with my emotions.

Although, if SST's posts are anything to go by, his experience is about 10 times worse (and better) than mine! :D

Should be a ripper tomorrow. As some have said this is a key partnership here. Ponting is looking good, and is well due for a big one.

Kumble, I think, will be the key figure tomorrow perhaps helped a little by Sehwag and Sachin. Sharma needs to calm down a little too as Kumble cant afford one of his attack to lost the plot. Though that said, all the advice he was being given by all and sundry was, I thought, counter-productive. Kumble with all his experience and wisdom needs to have a word with him of encouragement and support and then tell the rest of the team to leave him alone.

Only hope that India believes. And keep their heads.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
But I was saying earlier, I don't get that, because Ponting used him very well in the WC.
He was bowling much better in the WC tbf, but I think it has to do with the change in format more than anything, and the fact that the still had McGrath in the side as well as Bracken, who both don't give much away, plus Lee was out of the side. Ponting's always been an pretty attacking captain in ODI's, and has always been rather quick to hit the brakes in the longer form.

When you play 4 quicks, especially when 3 of them are genuinely fast men (and therefore prone to going for some runs at times) your ability as a captain to manage them properly comes under much larger scrutiny. Tait didn't bowl too well, no doubt, but he was bowling second change into the wind on the first day. For a shock bowler like Tait, that shows a ridiculous lack of faith for mine. Do you reckon Tait would've bowled at RP Singh if Steve Waugh was still captain? Yes, for mine.

JBH001

International Regular
A lot of credit goes to India for competing, and competing so well, after Sydney. Jono was saying how losing a match like Sydney can have a deflating effect on teams - effect which is near impossible to come back from. Plus, it is Perth with bounce and India aren't traditionally known to play on more bouncier wickets (this is a good batting wicket mind, just not one India have been traditionally good at playing on). I have said a fair few times that any one who thinks India are bad tourists are living in the 90s and back and the performance here reiterates that India are no longer bad tourists again.

On another note, love the spirit in which the test match has been played. This is one of my favourite test matches. The two teams have not given any quarter, nor asked for any back. Yet, the teams have played with respect and smiles. Moment of the game for me was when the Gilchrist hand shake with Kumble after Kumble got 600. The Pathan-Lee banter was great to watch, as were players saying the ball had bumped, players walking and the smiles.

From a cricketing point of view, the way Pathan has bowled has been very special.
QFT. Its been a great test for all the right reasons. An absolute ripper.

masterblaster

International Captain
Here's one more of Irfan Pathan. We met him earlier on in the day and he was just a brilliant guy to talk to. Very down to earth and humble, we all got autographs and best wishes from him. Certainly was happy to see him do well with the bat and ball today.

Attachments

Matt79

Global Moderator
He was bowling much better in the WC tbf, but I think it has to do with the change in format more than anything, and the fact that the still had McGrath in the side as well as Bracken, who both don't give much away, plus Lee was out of the side. Ponting's always been an pretty attacking captain in ODI's, and has always been rather quick to hit the brakes in the longer form.

When you play 4 quicks, especially when 3 of them are genuinely fast men (and therefore prone to going for some runs at times) your ability as a captain to manage them properly comes under much larger scrutiny. Tait didn't bowl too well, no doubt, but he was bowling second change into the wind on the first day. For a shock bowler like Tait, that shows a ridiculous lack of faith for mine. Do you reckon Tait would've bowled at RP Singh if Steve Waugh was still captain? Yes, for mine.
Yeah, I agree. What I was saying was that I'm bemused that Ponting has handled him so poorly in this test, given that he seemed to understand how to use him in (the admittedly different format of) the WC.

JBH001

International Regular
The only poor aspect of this fantastic series has been having to listen to the Channel 9 commentary team. Especially that prize prat with his grating pommie accent, Mark Nicholas. I swear when he is talking about the Australians he has one hand on the mike and the other on his knob. Probably runs through a few tissues a day.

Edit/ Had to edit it a little mate.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'd listen to Mark Nicholas everyday of the week before listening to Healy and Taylor dire things up together.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
The only poor aspect of this fanastic series has been having to listen to the Channel 9 commentary team. Especially that prize prat with his grating pommie accent, Mark Nicholas. I swear when he is talking about the Australians he has one hand on the mike and the other on his knob. Probably runs through a few tissues a day.

Edit/ Had to edit it a little mate.
Great add-on.

JBH001

International Regular
Dont mind Taylor, tbh. Says some insightful things and is not always biased in his calls.

Healy is just awful but I can sort of understand that, even though I cant stand it, him being an Australian and ex player.

I see no excuse for Mark Nicholas, especially when he thinks its time to get all lyrical and starts thinking he is the Poet Laureate of cricket commentary. Mute button time.

Last edited:

sideshowtim

Banned
BTW, there seems to be a fair amount of criticism over our bowling. Not sure how fair it is. For mine, we actually bowled very well on the whole. 330 and 294 are good scores to dismiss a batting line up as good as India's for on a batting friendly wicket. It's just that our batsmen have let us down majorly.

Tait was the only bowler who you could say was poor.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Lanka had 7 wickets remaining with 270 runs required in the last day
Aussies now 8 wickets remaining and 348 runs required..

which would've been more tough but ..looking at those.. hmmm