• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting, Hayden, and Gilchrist sign with IPL

deira

Banned
whats with all these new leagues coming up? never heard of IPL before. i personally dont like this.

howardj

International Coach
Neither do I.

Anyway, I thought Ponting and Gilchrist always said there was too much cricket being played.

Apparently not.

Anyway, what a soul-less concept.

I can imagine everyone just being absolutely on the edge of their seat cheering voiciferously for the Indian franchise of their choice.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I don't think these players have much choice rather than playing in the IPL because their cricket boards are also involved in this league so they might have a say in these players joining this league and of course these players too don't mind making some quick and easy bucks by playing in T20 competiton.

Craig

World Traveller
Neither do I.

Anyway, I thought Ponting and Gilchrist always said there was too much cricket being played.

Apparently not.

Anyway, what a soul-less concept.

I can imagine everyone just being absolutely on the edge of their seat cheering voiciferously for the Indian franchise of their choice.
Sell-outs then IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Anything to entertain the masses.

Shouldn't knock the players really, would you decline the money?

Craig

World Traveller
Anything to entertain the masses.

Shouldn't knock the players really, would you decline the money?
Of course not, at this rate it will turn into a better quality version then Kerry Packer's WSC in the late 70's. I guess money talks, as it has done through out history. Interestingly enough that one of the franchises will almost end up being the Australian team if the reports are to be ture.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Just to clarify, IPL is the official Indian twenty20 league and by signing up, they make themselves available as one of the 4 overseas players that teams are allowed to field per game (you can have any number in your squad).

By doing this, they are no longer available for their own domestic side in the Australian twenty20 league or South African or English county side in the twenty20 tournament.

At least...thats what I think is happening.

With the new recruits, I feel that this will be a very very high standard of competition, but as noted earlier, who will people support?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
By doing this, they are no longer available for their own domestic side in the Australian twenty20 league or South African or English county side in the twenty20 tournament.

From the article on these latest three joining:

Australia's states also have questions over who an Australian player would represent if their Indian franchise and their home state both reached the Champions League following the IPL. "We're still very much at the thrashing-out stage, but I've been led to believe that if that happens, someone like Brett Lee's first commitment would be to his home state," Dave Gilbert, the chief executive of Cricket New South Wales said.

Craig

World Traveller
Just to clarify, IPL is the official Indian twenty20 league and by signing up, they make themselves available as one of the 4 overseas players that teams are allowed to field per game (you can have any number in your squad).

With the new recruits, I feel that this will be a very very high standard of competition, but as noted earlier, who will people support?
I didn't take a lot of notice of the Twenty20 WC (mind you I was in Central Eastern Europe) so I don't know if I will for this competition.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
That is what they think but I am pretty sure that by signing for the IPL, they null and void any committments to any other twenty20 side. I remember reading it in an article a little while back about the New Zealand signings not being allowed to play for any Australian, English or South African side in their twenty20 championship.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That is what they think but I am pretty sure that by signing for the IPL, they null and void any committments to any other twenty20 side. I remember reading it in an article a little while back about the New Zealand signings not being allowed to play for any Australian, English or South African side in their twenty20 championship.
The NZ players obviously signed that right away in their contracts. The Australian players might have done it differently.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't take a lot of notice of the Twenty20 WC (mind you I was in Central Eastern Europe) so I don't know if I will for this competition.
If you are not interested in twenty20, I doubt that it will change your mind. Take a look at the roster though, this is going to be very good for the development of Indian twenty20 cricket if indeed, the limit of four overseas players per team and the quota of four U19 or players from the region to which the team is centralised (e.g. Manchester for Manchester United or London for Arsenal to use a football metaphor) is kept.

wikipedia said:
Australia

Brett Lee
Andrew Symonds
Jason Gillespie
Mitchell Johnson
Ricky Ponting
Nathan Bracken
Michael Hussey
Matthew Hayden
Simon Katich
Brad Haddin
Adam Gilchrist
Justin Langer
Glenn McGrath
Shane Warne

India

Rahul Dravid
Sourav Ganguly
Anil Kumble
Sachin Tendulkar

Pakistan

Mohammad Yousuf
Shoaib Malik
Shoaib Akhtar
Muhammad Asif
Shahid Afridi
Younis Khan

South Africa

Graeme Smith
Ashwell Prince
AB de Villiers
Herschelle Gibbs
Albie Morkel
Shaun Pollock

Sri Lanka

Dilhara Fernando
Sanath Jayasuriya
Mahela Jayawardene
Farveez Maharoof
Lasith Malinga
Muttiah Muralitharan
Kumar Sangakkara
Chaminda Vaas
Nuwan Zoysa

New Zealand

Stephen Fleming
Scott Styris
Daniel Vettori
Jacob Oram
Brendon McCullum

West Indies

Shivnarine Chanderpaul

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The NZ players obviously signed that right away in their contracts. The Australian players might have done it differently.
It just would not make sense for players to play for two teams who may meet in a future competition, surely.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Which one is the unofficial one? All these friggin' initials are confusing to us casual observers.