• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kings of their castle

Chubb

International Regular
So in other words...

Zimbabwe - Duncan Fletcher or David Houghton
Houghton for me. Walked from Bulawayo to Harare (or the other way round, can't remember which) to raise the money to build the Cricket Academy, which he later ran, he was first captain, the first Test centurion, he orchestrated World Cup performances to persuade the selectors to give Zimbabwe Test status, and he played a role in expanding the game to the black population. It has to be him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're quite right - you know me and my Fletcherite nature of course, but he does have one thing going for him in his orchestration of the demolition of Australia in 1983 which put the place on the cricket map.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I would postulate that the grandfather of Pakistan cricket was neither Hanif nor Imran but Abdul Hafeez Kardar.
Agree with Beleg. Kardar formed the identity and shape of Pakistan cricket in those early years. He was as much an authoritarian figure as Imran would become later. Hanif and Imran certainly had more of an impact on Pakistan cricket, but if we're talking about Godfathers (in a sense who started it all), then it has to be Kardar for Pakistan.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with Beleg. Kardar formed the identity and shape of Pakistan cricket in those early years. He was as much an authoritarian figure as Imran would become later. Hanif and Imran certainly had more of an impact on Pakistan cricket, but if we're talking about Godfathers (in a sense who started it all), then it has to be Kardar for Pakistan.
I completely agree. I forgot about him.

subshakerz

International Coach
I second that. Beat every team he played against, not bad for a supposed minnow!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pakistan were never, ever a substandard side - they even more than West Indies, India, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe, deserved Test-status every bit when given it.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Couple of other names into the ring for India:
Ranjitsinhji, for whom the premier domestic tournament is named.
CK Nayadu: first test captain and first class player into his sixties.