• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan vs Keith Miller

Who do u think was a better allrounder,Imran Khan or Keith Miller?

• Total voters

archie mac

International Coach
A good match-up, they are the only 2 AR who avg over 35 with the bat and under 25 with the ball.

Top 3 reasons why Imran > Miller

1. He played against tougher opposition

2. He played for a weaker team

3. He had the greater burden to shoulder

1. Not correct

2. Miller started with a strong team, but they were tanking in the latter stages, so not much in it

3. Because of the Pakistan fans expectations?

archie mac

International Coach
One thing I think stands out for Imran though is his Captaincy, his leadership.
Most who played under Miller rate him the best captain ever (except Bob Simpson:wacko: )

His famous quote after being out on the town all night, late for the game and still changing as he came out on the ground.

It was pointed out to him that he had 12 players on the field. His response 'one of you bastards off, the rest scatter'

He then claimed 7-12 and bowled Sth Aust out for 27

Miller also lost 6 years to the Second World War, and after his war years, really treated cricket like a game, and only tried when in the mood. I would say Miller was one of the most naturally talented cricketers of all time.

Nothing against Imran was also a great player but Miller for mine:)

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
Most who played under Miller rate him the best captain ever (except Bob Simpson:wacko: )

His famous quote after being out on the town all night, late for the game and still changing as he came out on the ground.

It was pointed out to him that he had 12 players on the field. His response 'one of you bastards off, the rest scatter'

Miller also lost 6 years to the Second World War, and after his war years, really treated cricket like a game, and only tried when in the mood. I would say Miller was one of the most naturally talented cricketers of all time.

Damn, beat me to it Archie.

JBH001

International Regular
Despite the fact that they're both statistical replicas of each other,Imran has to be placed just above Miller when comparing them as allrounders.As bowlers,I think its a no contest as Imran is miles ahead of Miller.Imran played just around 68 matches as a bowler & took 5.4 wickets/match while Miller took just 3.0 wickets/match.Imran not only has a much better strike rate but also many times more five fors & 10 wicket hauls.Imran would almost make everyone's top 10 bowlers ever but Miller would struggle to find a plance in top 30 even.As a batsman,Miller was surely better than Imran but difference was not as much as some people here try to make.They had pretty similar batting averages but Miller has one more hundred despite playing 33 less games but I think it was due to the reason that Imran played as just a bowler for 5 years after becoming a regular in the team.Imran has more fifties than Miller though.And Imran Khan's batting is also cricticized for having 25 not outs out of 126 test innings played(1/5th).I think it also goes in Imran's favour as its not like he was a tailender & it was easy for him to achieve that,it rather shows his commitment with batting,ability to saty at the wicket & capability to form useful partnerships with tailenders.
Whatever. Miller >>> Imran.

Also,Imran Khan's average of 52 with the bat & 20 with the ball in last 50 tests of his career is the greatest peak of an allrounder ever.Imran also had the burden of captaincy on his shoulders.These are the reason why I think Imran Khan was a better allrounder than Keith Miller.
Err no, the greatest all-rounder peak was IT Botham in the first 2/5 of his career.

that should get his blood boiling
:D

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
One thing I think stands out for Imran though is his Captaincy, his leadership.
Dont underestimate the captaincy of Miller. He was an outstanding captain of NSW and I think it was Benaud who said that Miller was the best captain, or one of the best captains, he ever played under. Too bad he was never selected to captain Australia.

Edit/ I see AM has beaten me to it. Damn that AM, always getting in there first! ;)

bond21

Banned
gee should we listen to a guy's opinion who has IMRAN KHAN AS HIS GOD DAM AVATAR?!

gee absolutely NO BIAS there whatsoever.

Miller was a better all rounder for sure.

Better batsman + better bowler

bond21

Banned
just because hes captain doesnt mean hes a better player...

burden? oh cause hes captain....surely the burden made him play well below his potential, why did he have to be captain he couldve been the best ever....

WEAK.

archie mac

International Coach
Damn, beat me to it Archie.
Dont underestimate the captaincy of Miller. He was an outstanding captain of NSW and I think it was Benaud who said that Miller was the best captain, or one of the best captains, he ever played under. Too bad he was never selected to captain Australia.

Edit/ I see AM has beaten me to it. Damn that AM, always getting in there first! ;)
:laugh: Doesen't matter who said it, just as long as we all agree who was the best:cool:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

Not at all guys, I know well of Miller's exploits too. However, one thing I find little of in Pakistan's test history is a great captain that was able to put the side right. You look at what happened to Wasim and you think Imran must have been a huge character to do what he did for that side.

But as Sanz also said, sometimes captaincy is not so much of a burden - some players thrive off that responsibility, and I think Imran was one of them.

"Scatter" always get a laugh out of me.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
gee should we listen to a guy's opinion who has IMRAN KHAN AS HIS GOD DAM AVATAR?!

Miller was a better all rounder for sure.

Better batsman + better bowler
No need to attack his character mate, sure he has potential bias, but EVERYONE does. Is it a coincidence people from the sub continent tend to favour the sub continent players more in these type of arguments, of course not and vice versa.

The biggest hole in this argument is the cross generation gap, and I am of the opinion you can never truely compare two players across generations. Regardless of what even the highest experts say, because they two have bias. Former players usually regard someone from their generation as the finest in a particular art, and there's nothing wrong with that, there is enough people for all the bias to fade into the background.

Who's to say that if Miller played in the same time he would have been significantly less successful? The players had changed and cricket itself changed (with the emergance of ODI's and so on), while Khan may have failed in Miller's age for whatever reason. We will never know.

I've never been fond of these cross generation comparisons, they were both some of the finest players of their time, surely it can't be left at that.

But the next insult I see thrown around over something like this I'm reporting eh?

pasag

RTDAS
Was thinking about this the other day, don't think there is a clear cut answer really other then they were both magnificent.

Abit OT but I was also thinking of the definition of these two below and the difference between them and I don't think I've seen it discussed here before so I was wondering what people thought.

Player (ie who is the better player): Includes batting, bowling, fielding, captaincy, wicket-keeping
All-Rounder (ie who is the better all-rounder): Includes just batting and bowling

Thoughts?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Was thinking about this the other day, don't think there is a clear cut answer really other then they were both magnificent.

Abit OT but I was also thinking of the definition of these two below and the difference between them and I don't think I've seen it discussed here before so I was wondering what people thought.

Player (ie who is the better player): Includes batting, bowling, fielding, captaincy, wicket-keeping
All-Rounder (ie who is the better all-rounder): Includes just batting and bowling

Thoughts?

Sounds pretty darn good to me TBH. Two very different things.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Keith Miller for me.

Second best Test all-rounder of all-time, behind Sir Garfield Sobers.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Reason # 4 Imran > Miller
He had to bat lower in the order far more often ( Miller never batted lower than #7, Imran did 35 times)

If we compare performances by batting position :

#5 position, Imran averages 54.67 / Miller 41.98
#6 position, Imran averages 61.87 / Miller 14.68
#7 position, Imran averages 34.81 / Miller 33.50

Cumulatively, all positions upto #7, Imran scored 2968 @ 41.80, Miller 2958 @ 36.98

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Imran may well be better than Miller, but so far your four reasons have been middling at best. Particularly no.1 (Miller played against some very strong opposition) and 4 (it's quite a vague argument, that Imran is a better cricketer due to the fact that his captains - including himself - placed him lower in the batting order more often than Miller's did...)

No.2 is a judgement call based on when in their careers you are assessing them, and you've probably got a point with no.3.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

So therefore KaZo should be ignored because he has Miller as his avatar? And Sean because he has in the past? 8-)

Has it occurred to you that the reason BhupinderSingh has Imran as his avatar is because he likes him, rather than the other way around?

One of the most ridiculous sort of posts, the like of the above.