• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IAn Blackwell

Cloete

International Captain
from wat i've seen and heard of him he seems to be a class player. wat is every1 else's opinion of him?

Anna

International Vice-Captain
He's great! When gets going, he's a force to be reckoned with. I spent most of the season at the county ground (as I keep saying!) and his best innings had to be his 86 of very little balls in the C&G semi, well then there's the match where he scored a century in each innings............too many good points to mention!!:D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Although he is a good bowler, I dont think he is as good as Ashley Giles, he doesnt have the loop. But he certainly makes up for that with some pretty explosive batting, a good prospect for England..

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blackers

I am a huge fan of Ian Blackwell and believe that if England give him the opportunity, he will show his undoubted talent. The exciting thing is that while his bowling has improved massively, his batting hasn't really taken off yet. I really hope the World Cup is the stage when it does cos he can marmalise bowling when he's in the zone.

As for his weight, as long as he's fit then I don't see it as a huge problem. He'd be in the team for his batting and bowling while he's a decent catcher to boot. If he's not Linford Christie round the field then ce'est la vie cos neither are half this England team. he must get fed up reading about himself described by the English press as 'talented but fat'.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
At the moment I can only see a place for him in the One Day side, he needs to improve either or both of his disciplines a lot to get to true International Standard!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Blackers

jf2001 said:
As for his weight, as long as he's fit then I don't see it as a huge problem. He'd be in the team for his batting and bowling while he's a decent catcher to boot. If he's not Linford Christie round the field then ce'est la vie cos neither are half this England team. he must get fed up reading about himself described by the English press as 'talented but fat'.
I was joking! :D

Seriously, after I saw that 86 I count myself as a fan, it was superb innings.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I dont see what the English media's obsession is with fat! Honestly look at guys like Warne and Lehmann (who arent that fat just a bit big). They are world class, as long as people do the job who cares what shape their body is.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
My point exactly!!Who cares if they're 'overweight' if they can play cricket to a really high standard!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazza said:
Reduced to begging now Rik? ;)

Well you won't get a penny off me!
Begging? I'm just skinny! I'm a still rather hungover skinny person. Anyway why would I need to beg off you? ;)